account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Can i charge my Xperia SP with a 2A amperage charger? Will it danage the battery?

Inhabitant
Message 1 of 17
Message 1 of 17

Can i charge my Xperia SP with a 2A amperage charger? Will it danage the battery?

I have an Xperia SP with 2300mAh battery. It is a little bit slow to charge it with the 850mA powered sony charger. Sometimes i need the juice quick sometimes. What can i doo?
16 REPLIES 16
Rookie
Message 2 of 17
Message 2 of 17

Re: Can i charge my Xperia SP with a 2A amperage charger? Will it danage the battery?

I got 1.5A charger that came with the phone.

Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 3 of 17
Message 3 of 17

Re: Can i charge my Xperia SP with a 2A amperage charger? Will it danage the battery?

How much does it take to charge fully the battery with that?
Rookie
Message 4 of 17
Message 4 of 17

Haven't really measured time but I know that when I charge my phone when it's turned off, it charges very fast.

Sam
Sony Xperia Support
Message 5 of 17
Message 5 of 17

Please only use approved and authentic Sony Mobile chargers designed for use with your handset. The use of third party chargers with varied voltages may cause harm to your product.

Don't forget to mark posts that answers the topic as Accepted Solution. 
If you find any post helpful, press Kudos.
What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

TJ
Commissioner
Message 6 of 17
Message 6 of 17

It takes about 3 hour from 0-5 to 100% to charge with bundled charger (the charger which comes with the phone).

Commissioner
Message 7 of 17
Message 7 of 17

I don't think using a charger rated at 2A will charge any quicker.

In general the phone hardware and /or software determine the current draw (and hence rate of charging), so just plugging in a supply rated at 2A doesn't mean your phone will use that 2A. Since the SP comes with an 850mA charger, it's safe to assume that you phone will only ever draw < 850mA (otherwise it will overload and damage the charger).

It's more important that the supply voltage is a well regulated 5V. Above that, you could potentially damage your phone. Most consumer electronics have some sort of overvoltage protection, but it's really not worth risking.

Inhabitant
Message 8 of 17
Message 8 of 17

Okay thanks guys. So there's no way to make the charging faster.
Enthusiast
Message 9 of 17
Message 9 of 17

For Xperia XP I'm using charger for my tablet, it gives 1.5A, and all is O.K. Phone is drawing 1.2 - 1.3A maximally, measured by Battery Monitor Widget app.

Waiting all the time for charging with original charger (850mA) is crazy and bad joke, i think Thinking Face

Adviser
Message 10 of 17
Message 10 of 17

as long as the voltage is at 5V you'll be fine with a 1.5 or 2A charger