account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Camera very slow, and poor quality

Apprentice
Message 1 of 17
Message 1 of 17

Camera very slow, and poor quality

I'm always use Xperia until Z5 the problem of camera not resolve in any model

-Long time to save picture after shoot the picture. and not prompt to shoot next shot in a shot time
( Never found this problem in another brand . It's can continous shoot next shot very fast. But sony can't ) Found this problem in every model of Xperia T, TX,V... until Z5. This problem still appear. I think this problem 're more important than focus time.

- I know Z5 hardware can support change shutter speed of camera. But Software can't use this option. Why to do that Face with stuck-out Tongue
SONY will upgrade and open this option in next firmware or not?

- quality of camera very poor If compare with another brands in spite same sensors of hardware.! Better than older Xperia z, z2,z3   but  can't compare with flagship model of another brands ( superior auto mode same )
(you can see sample compare picture in youtube.)

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Message 2 of 17

Re: Camera very slow, and poor quality

There has been improvements to the camera start time in the latest firmware, 32.0.A.6.152. If you don't have this update yet, keep checking PC Companion and you'll receive it eventually.

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Talent
Message 3 of 17
Message 3 of 17

I agree with you in the picture quality.

I get better quality pictures using 8MP instead of 20MP. (16:9).

But still the pictures at real size have no detail at all (compared to my previous phone or some other flagships).

The Z5 camera captures excellent daylight photos to be viewed as a Thumbnail.
Emperor
Message 4 of 17
Message 4 of 17

@iammote

The latest update fixed the slow camera performance, as for the pictures, which camera settings are you using and in which light conditions?

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Apprentice
Message 5 of 17
Message 5 of 17

"slow camera"  I'm mean time of process/save file after user shoot the picture. It's defer about 1 sec every shot of your shooting.

and a lot of user compare with other mobile brands in same auto mode / same environment/ same light.

Emperor
Message 6 of 17
Message 6 of 17

@iammote

I didn't see this issue when I tested the Z5 series, where are you storing the pictures, on an SD card or internal storage? which camera settings are you using?

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Talent
Message 7 of 17
Message 7 of 17

@uliwooly wrote:

@iammote

I didn't see this issue when I tested the Z5 series, where are you storing the pictures, on an SD card or internal storage? which camera settings are you using?

It is a standard thing for Sony devices to have a slight hold after shooting a picture and right between taking it either with on screen or dedicated and storing it on internal/external memory. For exaple, iPhone, Samsung nor LG and manny others do not have this sort of ''hang time'' measuered from miliseconds to a whole second. 

Every year users complain about this and we have yet to see if new camera UI will come with ''zero shutter lag'' thing others have for years.

Talent
Message 8 of 17
Message 8 of 17

I don't personally care about camera focus speed or time to save a photo. 
What I care most is the quality at real size.

It's a shame to have a 23mp camera (or just at 8MP if you reduce the resolution) whose real-size pictures have lower definition than many others cameras with 6MP-12MP.

This N5X's 12MP camera have much more definition than our Z5 8MP/20MP/22MP camera. And my old N5 camera (with 6MP at 16:9) have much better definition too (specially at low light). 

So I really hope Sony improves the camera quality in the next update (if possible), they need to start benchmarking photos at real size, using a PC monitor, not some small resolution thumbnails. (They also need to start thinking in camera 2 api). 

At the moment the Z5 Compact is perfect in all sense (battery life, gps, size, heat, performance~, sensors) except the camera. 

I could recommend the Z5 Compact to many users, because it is the only hi-end 2015 phone with that size. But can't recommend the Z5 with the current picture quality. 

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 9 of 17
Message 9 of 17

xperia_problem.jpg

Example: a clip from youtube you can see lag time between shot 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qxg_UgRPbE

In some situation. I can't tell to object to don't moving. Example any pets , dog, cat , or people in Events hall
Many times I take the photo with my friends ( My friends use other mobile brands )
Take the photo in same little moving object
my freiend got a lot of clear image many shot in 2-3 sec. While I'm got only 1 shot and it's blur or moving out of my frame.

I'm test all solutions save to internal storage/ save to SD storage/ recede to shoot in small size 8 MB. But not work .
This broblem be A long time ago in sony mobiile device but SONY not solve. 
Why Other brands can do it But SONY can't ?

A lot of my friends disuse Sony mobile because this problem and poor quality of picture issue.
I think . This's important weakness of SONY mobile phone. should to solve immediately.

Thank you.

One of the coolest features about the 23MP camera on the Sony Xperia Z5 is its sheer speed. Auto-focusing speed, that is, as the Hybrid AF technology in use lets the cam lock the focus faster than the blink of a human eye. Here's a demo. ------- PhoneArena.com is your ultimate source of mobile ...
Emperor
Message 10 of 17
Message 10 of 17

@iammote

Not to be a pain, but I couldn't see the lag that much as he only took one picture, you could record a video > upload it to youtube and post it here, with different camera settings and storage, I'm quite intrigued