account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Camera problem, extra wide-angle effect

Apprentice
Message 1 of 28
Message 1 of 28

Camera problem, extra wide-angle effect

I got my XZ yesterday and the camera is constantly in a kind of extra wide angle or fish eye mode. When i try to take a picture of something straight, a table or a widow, the edge looks curved. I have tried all the settings i can find but can't find a solution. How do i get a normal lens setting?

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it just a setting that i can't find or is there something wrong with my phone?
27 REPLIES 27
Enthusiast
Message 2 of 28
Message 2 of 28

Re: Camera problem, extra wide-angle effect

I think it should be like that. I have that also.
Apprentice
Message 3 of 28
Message 3 of 28

Really? Anyone else?

I can see the point of having an optional effect like this but is it really standard?

I hope there is a solution to this.
Commissioner
Message 4 of 28
Message 4 of 28

You can specify 4:3 (wide) or 16:9 in the resolution settings.
Apprentice
Message 5 of 28
Message 5 of 28

Unfortunately that doesn't help.

Maybe there's something wrong with the lens?
Emperor
Message 6 of 28
Message 6 of 28

Could you post some pictures?

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Commissioner
Message 7 of 28
Message 7 of 28

This is called barrel distortion. This kind of distortion a natural property of any lens, from basic to ultra-professional. Obviously, lens designers strive to reduce it, but it is impossible to eliminate it in zoom lens for the entire range of focal lengths. The strength (and direction) of the effect typically depends on the current focal length setting of the lens. 

Distortions like that are typically corrected in post-processing, e.g. in software. 

Apprentice
Message 8 of 28
Message 8 of 28

Thank you Korben-Dallas!

Is there any way to reduce the distortion, or would I have to correct all photos afterwards?

Do all Xperia XZ cameras have the same problem or can I get another with little or no distortion?
Highlighted
Message 9 of 28
Message 9 of 28

It's not a problem, even $£€2000 lenses have this to a degree.
Most photo editors have a built in feature to correct it

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Apprentice
Message 10 of 28
Message 10 of 28

Ok,
I've never seen anything like this in a phone camera. It's like a fun house mirror. Post-processing every picture is not an option for me. I will have to return the phone and look for another. I'd rather have lower resolution, narrower angle and less lens distortion.