account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Bluetooth headset recording volume so low I can't be heard.

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 1 of 11
Message 1 of 11

Bluetooth headset recording volume so low I can't be heard.

Issue:

When I make a call using my bluetooth headset, other people can barely understand me. Often they will hang up because they can't hear me at all. Echo Tests using various applications and the bluetooth headset reveal that my voice is barely audible when speaking into the bluetooth headset. This also affects Voice Dial and anything else that records audio via bluetooth. Testing revealed this to be a phone issue!

As it is, bluetooth calling is UNUSABLE and I urgently depend on being able to drive safely while talking to people. As it stands, this is not possible.

Not an Issue, aka, the following is working fine:

• Bluetooth audio playback in-call as well as music is crystal clear and perfectly fine
  • Audio is actually recorded via the bluetooth headset, (and not the phones microfon by mistake), it's just very very low in volume
  • The bluetooth headset recording volume works Perfectly with other phones, e.g. Nokia.

Phone:

Sony Xperia Z1 C6903

Android Version 4.3

Firmware Build 14.2.A.1.136

Bluetooth Headsets tested:

HTC BH S600

Logitech HS03 V04 (only dug it up to confirm its a phone and not a headset issue)

10 REPLIES 10
Adviser
Message 2 of 11
Message 2 of 11

Re: Bluetooth headset recording volume so low I can't be heard.

I found a promising bit of information for the Samsung Galaxy 2, where you could enter a special code and get access to a menu that allows you to set recording volume levels:

http://www.ctrlplusz.com/2011/06/fix-for-low-microphone-volume-on-the-samsung-galaxy-s-ii/

Unfortunately it does not work on Sony Xperia phones. But is there really nothing similar? Anyone?

Apprentice
Message 3 of 11
Message 3 of 11

I also have the HTC BH S600. I experience the same problem, but only for the first 5-10 seconds when initiating or answering a call. My belief so far is that the headset causes the problem due to noise cancelling in the headset. Are you sure this is phone-related?

Adviser
Message 4 of 11
Message 4 of 11

Well

• there is absolutely no problem with the Headset and other phones (tested on: Nokia E66, Nokia E71 and Google Nexus 5 w/ Android 4.4)
  • the problem never improves when
    1. using i.e. sip:echo@iptel.com to test phone connection
    2. record a custom message on my 4g provider's voicebox
    3. recording via bluetooth with a voice recorder app and
    4. when calling a support hotline or someone on a landline
  • Sometimes, after a few seconds, I too am being told that I'm now somewhat understandable or much more clearer. Interestingly this only happends when the person on the other end of the line is using a smartphone (e.g. iPhone or recent Android). Thus I believe that it's actually the digital voice processing of the smartphone on the other end of the line, that is doing it's best to make me understandable. This would indeed take the few seconds and perfectly explain this effect.

Therefore yes, I'm pretty sure it's a problem with our Xperia Z1.

If you want to repeat my test, just go to Settings -> Call Settings and at the bottom, add any SIP account (like ekiga, or any free sip provider), then enable Internetcalling (to sip addresses only) and call  echo@iptel.com

You will hear your own voice input unfiltered just like another person would hear it.

You might also call yourself on a landline.

I'm very anxious to hear about your results. :-)

Apprentice
Message 5 of 11
Message 5 of 11

Have you contacted Sony Support? Any feedback? Will try to do some tests myself, later. However, so far I have only noted these issues when using the HTC headset. I am using Bluetooth in my car, and noone has complained then. I have tried also MW600, also without complaints (even though the MW600 is useless since it ends up "hanging" several times when trying to use it a full day).

Adviser
Message 6 of 11
Message 6 of 11

The issue persists on Android 4.4.2 KitKat

Model: C6903

Firmware: 14.3.A.0.681

have contacted Sony Support, currently waiting for reply.

Adviser
Message 7 of 11
Message 7 of 11

Issue persists on Firmware 14.3.A.0.757

Just once, before the firmware update and during a sip-echo test I experience the same effect as Uffez described,

where the volume would increase to acceptable levels after about 30 seconds. However, couldn't distinguish if that wa caused by an increase in the recording volume or increase of the playback volume due to Speaker voice enhancement being on.

Tested the headset on a Samsung Galaxy 4 Active (Android 4.3), which displayed the same issue: me bing almost unhearable throughout the whole conversation.

Again tested it on a Nokia E71 and Nexus 5 which had no issue at all and I was clearly audible from the first moment on.

Visitor
Message 8 of 11
Message 8 of 11

Same Issue here,

I have Samsung Galaxy S4 - tested with official ROM (4.2, 4.3) and than with rooted phone and Google edition 4.4.2 rom, still same. 

I have connect Headset to Lumia 520 and make call to my S4 and it is working without any audio problem, as it should. 

When Calling from my S4 with headset connected to that Lumia back, problem occur and after few tens of seconds it is no better. 

Than I have tried to call to Nokia 2730 and still same problem. 

After all this I have pair headset to Samsung Galaxy Nexus and call to my S4 - everything OK ...

So problem is somehow related to some android devices and lies between headset and connected phone. 

And now I have found this (probably faulty Automatic Gain Control) which might be same or similar issue ... 

Also in this topic is written that new Android 4.4.3 should fix this issue. I will try to update my S4 to 4.4.3 and will see if it helps ... 

One time poster
Message 9 of 11
Message 9 of 11

Same here. Sony Xperia Ultra. Normal mic works perfectly. The one via bluetooth barely records my voice.

I have tried a few headsets, so I'm sure it is not a headset problem.

Automatic gain control, you say? Yes, sounds plausible.

My phone though is on 4.4.4, so the fix in 4.4.3 did not help.

Rookie
Message 10 of 11
Message 10 of 11

same problem with my xperia z1 @kk 4.4.4, dont have the problem few months ago when my phone is still with jellybean, i also tried my bluetooth headset with other phones and it works well, using jabra extreme 2 bluetooth headset