account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

BKB50 rubbish layout

Rookie
Message 1 of 8
Message 1 of 8

BKB50 rubbish layout

I love what this keyboard could have been. Quality 10, Action 10, Functionality 1. The keyboard that you see in the Sony supplied promo pics is not what you get unless, apparently, you order it direct from Sony. Sony is gaming everyone in the UK, and seemingly Europe, by palming off toys to distributors and their customers. Toy because the key mapping hobbles is utility: the tiny right shift key is way over on the right hand edge, to the right of the up arrow key that you're more likely to hit when touch typing. The pics show a medium sized shift key to the left of the up arrow, where it should be and of a more correct prominence. I think they have a ton of these, prototypes maybe, that they're getting rid of before they supply the correct ones to non-Sony Direct customers. This keyboard is a shambles next to a premium tablet. To be forced to buy it in the UK as a bundle, when it is not what it is purported to be its a fraud. No-one has this keyboard for sale except Sony themselves. Disgusted in Sony!
7 REPLIES 7
Emperor
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

Re: BKB50 rubbish layout

@roycol

Could you provide the pictures of the "actual" keyboard and what you've seen advertised?

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Rookie
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

I'll get back to you on the pics, system shutdown...

Talent
Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

Actually, roycol has a point.  Check out the picture of the keyboard on http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/products/accessories/bluetooth-keyboard-bkb50/ 

bkb50 from GB Sony site

The right-most shift key is to the upper left of the cursors.

Now here's my UK spec bkb50 keyboard:

20151221_055047.jpg

Note the shift key to the right of the cursors, and the fact it's so small there's no room for the word "shift"

Now I know what Sony have done.  Typically, UK keyboards have an extra key because the £ sign is above the 3 key, and the # symbol gets its own key.  Sony have done this with the UK spec bkb50, but for some very daft reason they moved the right-most cursor key to a ... rather **bleep** stupid location.  

Rookie
Message 5 of 8
Message 5 of 8

I am so amazed that no-one has raised this issue, cos for me it's a major design flaw that makes for a broken keyboard at the most ridiculous price. I ordered mine from Amazon, took issue with the keyboard being different to the product description, and they sent another one exactly the same so they got both of them back. I ended up getting the tablet without keyboard from Germany cos I don't want that keyboard - not at that price anyway, cos I got 'lucky' with one where it was 20% of the price.

I put a lot of time into trying to find the right keyboard in the UK, but it seems as though everyone has the same keyboard on offer. This from Clove, after confirming that they also had this toy keyboard:

What I can say is that our stock comes directly from Sony's authorised 'Tier 1' distributor in the UK. That means our stock is the same as you would get if ordered directly from the Sony website or major high street chains such as Currys, PC World, John Lewis etc. As our stock seems to match your description of the Amazon stock you received, my only explanation is that Sony modified the design of the finished product after creating their promotional images for it.

On forwarding this to Sony, this was their reply:

We have just checked one of the Bluetooth Keyboard's (BKB50) that comes with the Z4 Tablet and we can definitely confirm that it is exactly the same as the image we sent to you a while ago; which is also shown on our site (www.sonymobile.com). With regards to the email you have forwarded to us, we can not comment on where they have purchased their products or what they are providing, however if they are different from the image we have supplied, then it is not a Sony Xperia BKB50.

Sony seems to be playing a double game at the expense of customers and, while I could get the correct keyboard from them, there is no way I'm going to fund their game as well. This is why I am so disgusted with them, and not just because of the keyboard, cos of their deceit on the issue - supplying bogus keyboards to the market, on the strength of misleading images, and then tell me that the keyboards that they supply to everyone are not BKB50s.

Incidentally, your UK version of the keyboard does make some sense, and if that's why they changed their design then they messed up badly by misplacing a critical key. However, in my many hours of getting to the bottom of this, I watched a youtube demo of the Z4 out of Japan (I think), and guess what - exactly the same keyboard as the broken one!! Which leads me to think that that was the prototype, Sony only realised their mistake after making thousands, and then decided to palm them off on customers - and keep the functional keyboards to themselves until the warehouses are emptied of the disfunctional ones.

Emperor
Message 6 of 8
Message 6 of 8

@JonC @roycol

You should contact Sony directly Local support, quick question, the keyboard it is Sony correct?

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Rookie
Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

You would think that would help, but given that I had contacted Sony directly, only to be stone walled, I'm not really in the mood to repeat the experience. I've invested so much time and effort vain trying to get thru to them, it actually leaves me with the impression that it's a cover up layered in bluster. I didn't mention, when I mentioned that I'd ordered Sony's Z4 to be given this weird keyboard, the reply was 'we cannot be held responsible for what Amazon choose to include in the box, as they make that choice when they order from Sony' - in effect saying that Sony do supply this joke keyboard (besides, can you Amazon saying 'no, we don't want that nice keyboard, we want the other one that looks nothing like it). In the next breath, different email, they say that 'if the keyboard doesn't look like the one in our picture, then it's not a bkb50' (which they supplied to Amazon, and every other retailer, at the request of those vendors to 'put that other keyboard, you know, the one that isn't the bkb50, in the box). They are talking in riddles, and I don't have time for it. You're not going to get a straight answer out of them.

Highlighted
Demigod
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

It is very often a matter of region. Each country has a specific layout and manufacturers do wierd things to keyboard layout. I used to have Eee PC with a right shift "on the wrong side". It was a nightmare to use it.

But I have to say that Sony UK site is very misleading (below). Picture on the site (same on PL website) shows shift on the left side and I think Sony is cheating on the layout here. Picture of keyboard layout should be made public because it is one of the crucial factors when you buy accessories like that.

And to confirm that Sony is using generic picture instead of real layout for certain region I went onto German website, where layout should be QWERTZ instead of QWERTY but the picture is the same.

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/xperia-tablets-accessories/bkb50#

So I guess that you need to either live with that shift or look for example for Microsoft Universal Keyboard. Not such versatile and without touchpad but at least with right layout. I got one and the main flaw (for Z2 tablet) is that the slot for the tablet is too wide and it can't stand still inside.

Best regards,
Sergio PL

--
Xperia Z3 Compact / Nexus 7 (2012)