account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Audio quality compromised after updating to Lollipop

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 1 of 17
Message 1 of 17

Audio quality compromised after updating to Lollipop

Hey there,

I've tried looking in other posts in regards to audio quality (I am aware that people have had issues with this after upgrading and was one of the biggest reasons I haven't upgraded until now) but they weren't exactly the same issue.

I have just tried to use the Music app and the sound quality is just ridiculously bad. It is tinny and hollow and the bass is weak as. I'm using Bose earphones too and it's just such a disappointing sound. So i tweaked some equalizer settings and changed the headphones option to get it half listenable. Still nowhere near as good but hey. I then exited the app, opened it back up, listened to the same track and it sounds awful again!

I went back to check my settings and yes they are all there as I customised them, but the audio sound is definitely not the same as before.

How come the audio difference is so vast when the equalizer settings have not changed?

How can I fix this? I don't want to have to change the settings every single time I want to listen to music. This is ridiculous.

I have already repaired my phone once (last night) since updating (I updated two nights ago) because of an SMS issue. And I already have to repair it again tonight (because the SMS issue came back after I restored using the backup file - whats the point of being able to backup and restore if it stuffs things up again). So, if the suggestion is to repair the phone through PC companion yet again, I think I might scream.

The point is, I have already repaired the phone and the issue is there. What else can I do? Is this an issue or a bug that sony are looking at fixing?

Thanks in advance Slightly smiling Face

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 17
Message 2 of 17

Re: Audio quality compromised after updating to Lollipop

Hi @raejae,

If this is a bug it's not one that I have heard of yet based on the information I currently have available. Generally the software repair should have resolved it if it were a software related issue with the update. What version of the firmware are you running? (Settings > About phone)

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Highlighted
Forum Legend
Message 3 of 17
Message 3 of 17

have you tried a 3rd party music app? does it still sound the same like the Music app?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Learn to take care and troubleshoot your Device here:
Xperia Support by Sony: https://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/
Highlighted
Adviser
Message 4 of 17
Message 4 of 17

Hey @CameronT,

Thank you for your response!

I think it's 23.4.A.1.232

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 5 of 17
Message 5 of 17

Hi @nolramblb,

Not yet, because I have to repair my phone again tonight, I haven't bothered re-downloading any other 3rd party music apps yet. But I fear it will be the same from what I've read on other threads - especially if it's like this for the stock app Slightly frowning Face

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 17
Message 6 of 17

@raejae I don't think it will be necessary to do another software repair so it's worth trying another app as @nolramlb suggested to help identify where the issue actually is.

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

Highlighted
Forum Legend
Message 7 of 17
Message 7 of 17

well it wouldn't hurt to know that problem is just the music app.

try to perform a reset on your phone before you repair it with PCC. it might help,. Winking Face

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 8 of 17
Message 8 of 17

@raejae, It looks like there's another update available for the handset, 23.4.A.1.264 is the latest version of the firmware for the Z3, though the availability of software updates depends on your country and/or operator. Double check and see if there are any more updates available, both in the About Phone menu and using PC Companion. If not, there is an update on the way, though it's impossible to say exactly when that will be.

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 9 of 17
Message 9 of 17

Unfortunately, I do need to do another repair to fix the SMS issue anyway (I cannot send/receive texts at all - separate issue).

However, I did follow both your advice and tried Spotify/Google Play Music and the sound quality is better on both apps. AND for some reason it actually seemed to improve the quality and consistency of equalizer settings on the stock Music app. 

@nolramlb - when you say perform a reset on my phone before I repair it - do you mean factory reset it on the phone itself first? 

@CameronT - Sure thing, I'll check if there are more updates and if not, I'll wait it out.

Thank you both for your help Slightly smiling Face

Forum Legend
Message 10 of 17
Message 10 of 17

yes, i usually clear my phone of everything if i am doing repair or upgrading firmware,.