account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

App Power Consumption and Restrict

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 8
Message 1 of 8

App Power Consumption and Restrict

Settings > Power Management > App power consumption

If there is any app listed in the UNUSED APPS section, tap into the app, there is an "Restrict" button.

Can someone help to explain what does it do? If an app is restricted, how can I unrestrict it? Where to see a list of restricted app?

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

Re: App Power Consumption and Restrict

Hi,

When an application is not in use, it can consume processing power and thereby reduce the battery consumption. As far as I know, when you press the restrict button, you will force a shutdown of the application (to make sure it's not an active app in the background e.g). It's the same thing as you can do if you go to Settings > Apps > The tab "All" > Tap an app > Force stop.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

@Hampus wrote:

Hi,

When an application is not in use, it can consume processing power and thereby reduce the battery consumption. As far as I know, when you press the restrict button, you will force a shutdown of the application (to make sure it's not an active app in the background e.g). It's the same thing as you can do if you go to Settings > Apps > The tab "All" > Tap an app > Force stop.

Is the "restrict" function permanent?  ie: activated automatically for the selected app after reboot.

Highlighted
Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

@Hampus You could use an app called greenify if you want.You have to set it up manually on non-rooted phones,but it does give you an option after setting up to put a hibernate and lock on the home screen.So you use short cut to hibernate and lock screen instead of power button
Enthusiast
Message 5 of 8
Message 5 of 8

@Hampus, or anyone ...  Is the "restrict" function permanent?  ie: activated automatically for the selected app after reboot.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 6 of 8
Message 6 of 8

Shouldn't Stamina perform similar functions as Greenify? I thought that Stamina would shutdown/stop apps that are running in the background that are NOT under its whitelist.

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

Is the "restrict" function permanent?

i would still like to know the answer to this.

the apps I've clicked restrict on don't seem to ever show up there again.  and there's no option to unrestrict

Highlighted
Forum Legend
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

The Restrict button forces the app to stop. There is no button to unsrestrict the app. The app gets unrestricted as soon as you start using it.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.