account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Android Marshmallow 6 on our Xperia Z5

One time poster
Message 241 of 292
Message 241 of 292

Re: Android Marshmallow 6 on our Xperia Z5

Marshmallow is awful. And after being a loyal Sony customer. My Z5 is my last Sony phone.

Apprentice
Message 242 of 292
Message 242 of 292

Updated my z5 a few days ago and I was initially very concerned but I am happy with the job they did. Phone feels faster and thankfully so far I haven't had any major issues. I'm using an unlocked version with the latest version. I updated via the OTA update and once it was completed I restarted the phone just in case. No reset and restore needed on my end. The issues might be coming from the carriers tweaking things.
Apprentice
Message 243 of 292
Message 243 of 292

To be fair, us Sony users are most definately not the only smartphone owners having issues with the update to Marshmallow. Even owners of the latest and greatest Samsung Galaxy S6,7 phones, LG, even Google's own Nexus devices, are reporting multiple problems with their updates, many of them identical to ours, which likely points to problems with Marshmallow itself rather than solely Sony's implementation of it. Also the infinite variations in hardware and software is bound to cause problems that weren't previously obvious. So to those saying "This is my last Sony phone ever", all I can say is best of luck to you, most likely the only way to 100% avoid issues with upgrades might be to get a feature phone instead of a smartphone. Face with stuck-out Tongue

Personally, I will upgrade at some point, new shiny stuff is fun, but not until I'm confident the benefits outweigh the pitfalls and the device will remain as reliable as mine currently is. After all, most of us have lives that revolve around or even depend on reliable communication. It's encouraging to now hear of some people who have had success with their updates, hopefully they'll keep us posted in the days ahead as they discover more, since, I'm (and I daresay, many others?) interested to see how they go? Grinning Face

Message 244 of 292
Message 244 of 292

Amen to that, from my own experience on other forums, LG's are having a lot of issues too.
From my own experience with my Z5p, the update to 6 was definitely worth it with a few little niggles that I'm sure will be sorted with smaller future updates.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Learner
Message 245 of 292
Message 245 of 292

As always it is very hard to determine if there are actual issues with the software or if it's just a very vocal minority with issues down to being special circumstances.

Now hearing that not only Sony phones have issues confirms my approach of being sceptical as long as reports of customers having issues pop up.

Apprentice
Message 246 of 292
Message 246 of 292

Any phone will have issues and I think that's important to remember that manufacturers as well as developers are trying to push out a polished product. Sadly sometimes they overtook something. Other times they pull a feature that makes no sense. Am I happy with my Xperia? Definitely. I like the feel of the phone. I like how the phone just works pretty well for me. Marshmallow was something I sat on the fence for a week about until I decided that if it was bad, I'd just sell the phone. I'm happy to have made the jump and stamina mode didn't really make a huge difference to me so it won't be sorely missed. Eventually when it makes its way back, that'll be great but I'll be okay for now.
One time poster
Message 247 of 292
Message 247 of 292

I've updated my z5 to 32.1.A.1.185 (what took Sony so long... and still turn out to have bugs that should have been caught) and have been bootlooping after every restart.

A fix is to remove the sd card + sim tray before turning on and reinserting after boot completes. After the sd card is detected and scanned/fixed, the subsequent restart no longer bootloops.

Issue seems to be sd card related. Have yet to try formatting my sd card to see if that stop the bootloop permanently.

Rookie
Message 248 of 292
Message 248 of 292

For the record, I've just updated to 32.1.A.1.185 this week and have no issues.
I did however format my external SD memory card a few weeks ago.
Apprentice
Message 249 of 292
Message 249 of 292

Hey guys I wanted to jump in again and mention that for some the marshmallow update took a while or still has not arrived. I know I purchased this phone knowing it was an unlocked version and expected the updates to be pushed as soon as Sony released them. What I think people are realizing is that this didn't happen. This is due to the original build of the phone. What I mean by this is that when I purchased the international version of the phone "unlocked" (I live in the US) I noticed there was T-mobile bloatware in what seemed to be German. As the updates came in, I used Xperifirm to check why I hadn't gotten the update. What I came to notice was that my unlocked Sony was tied to the Austrian T-mobile pushing the update. This may be an issue for some that are wondering why Sony hasn't pushed the update. It is not Sony, check your build using Xperifirm and you can verify if you should be on Marshmallow. I hope this helps.
Adviser
Message 250 of 292
Message 250 of 292

I installed PC Companion and update was possible from this program so if you are waiting for the update notification from your provider then maybe this is the way to go.