account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

After installing Android 6 I can not run applications that have been moved to the SD card.

Apprentice
Message 1 of 10
Message 1 of 10

After installing Android 6 I can not run applications that have been moved to the SD card.

After installing the Android 6 my SDСard became known as 36DK-1D14.
Prior to installation, it was called sdcard1. Due to rename I cannot run the applications. How do I rename back. The File Manager writes "cannot rename file".

9 REPLIES 9
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 10
Message 2 of 10

Re: After installing Android 6 I can not run applications that have been moved to the SD card.

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that you are unable to run apps on the SD card after the update Slightly frowning Face

When you moved these apps to the SD card, did you use the native function for it in Android or did you use a 3:rd party app for moving apps?

When you performed the update, did you update the phone or do a reinstall which deleted the data in the phones memory?

I think the SD card name you see is coming from /storage but this is not the path used for moved apps (they should be mounted under /mnt/asec) so it should not cause this.

If you go to Settings -> Storage -> SD Card -> .android_secure, do you see your moved apps there? You should see the package name for the app(s) with the file type .asec.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Apprentice
Message 3 of 10
Message 3 of 10

Re: After installing Android 6 I can not run applications that have been moved to the SD card.

I used the native transfer applications function on the SD card .
I did update the phone - not reinstall.
Yes, i see moved apps in Settings -> Storage -> SD Card -> .android_secure.
In log some application I see the following:
Can't create app directory '/storage/sdcard1/Backup'
This application tries to access sdcard1.
I think that if I could rename 36DK-1D14 in sdcard1 then this app would run.
Some applications that are saved offline data (for example, offline maps) are also trying to access data in sdсard1.
How do I bring back the name sdсard1?

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 4 of 10
Message 4 of 10

Adviser
Message 5 of 10
Message 5 of 10

After Android 6.0 upgrade, the SD card in my phone (Z5C) is now 9C33-6BBD rather than the previous sdcard1, and I see the same problem. I hadn't explicitly moved *any* applications to the SD card. Applications that when they were initially installed asked if they should use the SD card to store data now can't find it. For example, OSMAND+ put downloaded maps there by default, and since the upgrade to Android 6, it now can't see the maps because it's looking for them in /storage/sdcard1/Android/data/net.osmand.plus/files.

Another app that has ceased to function correctly is RideWithGPS - it will no longer download routes for offline use because it's trying to store them in /storage/sdcard1/Android/data/com.ridewithgps.mobile/cache/routes, which no longer exists.

p.s. I've also just noticed that the Dropbox app on the phone is no longer uploading photos from the phone (which are saved to the SD card) to dropbox.com, also presumably because it is looking for the images on /storage/sdcard1...

Is there any way out of this other than doing a full reset and reinstall of everything (which would be a total PITA).

Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 10
Message 6 of 10

I see, i thought it was the app that couldn't start but it's the app itself that wants to access the SD card on that path.

I'm not sure if it's possible to change this path. It might be that the app developers needs to update their app for Android 6 or that you need to set the new path manually in that app.

I will try to get more information on this.

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Apprentice
Message 7 of 10
Message 7 of 10

I think that this situation is easy to solve, if make a symbolic link.
But this is only possible if get root or i'm wrong?

Sony Xperia Support
Message 8 of 10
Message 8 of 10

I still don't have any new information on this but i suspect that's not possible with modifying the phones firmware.

Regular
Message 9 of 10
Message 9 of 10

Just updated to Marshmallow and I am experiencing the same issue. SDCARD1 no longer exists and all I see is the serial number of the sd card.
I can browse the sd card under storage and see the programs but cannot use them. I also cannot transfer any apps to the sd card with the way it is currently named either.
When selecting the Sd card as the storage option (under app info > change) I get the message "not enough storage space" even though I have over 70GB remaining on the card.
Anyone know if there is a way to rename the card without formatting it?
Or is there another way to revert the name of the card back to SDCARD1?
Sony Xperia Support
Message 10 of 10
Message 10 of 10

I've received some more information on this and it's not possible to change the path to the SD-card i'm afraid.

In Android 6.0, the path has been changed to /storage/xxxxxxxx, where xxxxxxxx is the serial number of the SD card. Third-party app developers should always use APIs provided by Google to access the external storage.