account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

4K playback on computer

Visitor
Message 1 of 25
Message 1 of 25

4K playback on computer

Hi, just wondering does anyone else have problems playing 4K video back on computers?
I have recorded several videos on my Z2 using the 4K feature, on the phone they play perfectly, however i have tried to copy them to several computers and on each on they just play back all garbled and stuttery, they are completely unwatchable.

I have tried 2 laptops:

1 x Macbook pro mid 2010 with 4GB mem Core 2 Due

1 x Asus Zenbook with 4GB mem and core i5 CPU.

1 x Dell Optiplex with 2.65 dual core and 3 GB mem with 2GB additional graphics memory.

All machines should play this fine and i have tried Windows Media Player, VLC, Quicktime and iPhoto and all with the same results.

My last hope is my iMac tonight with 3.0Ghz i3 CPU and 8GB mem i can stream 4k videos from Youtube no prob and all other videos play fine.

Whats the point in having an Ultra HD recording phone if the videos dont play anywhere other than teh phone!

24 REPLIES 24
Highlighted
Talent
Message 2 of 25
Message 2 of 25

Re: 4K playback on computer

You must have 4K screen to play 4K videos. You can't play on non 4K screen.

Highlighted
Commissioner
Message 3 of 25
Message 3 of 25

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 4 of 25
Message 4 of 25

So unless i have a 4k screen i have to reencode the videos i have shot in 4k mode?

They dont downscale in whatever media player you choose to use??

Highlighted
Message 5 of 25
Message 5 of 25

You won't see a difference from Full HD lets say.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Highlighted
Sam
Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 25
Message 6 of 25

Please also ensure that you have the latest versions of the Players you are using as many players have only added support for 4K this year.

sony_logo126x24.gif
What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 7 of 25
Message 7 of 25

So i tried it on my Mac and it played, using Quicktime so it seems you just need a stupidly powerful computer to play 4K videos, nothing to do with the screen.

Highlighted
Sam
Sony Xperia Support
Message 8 of 25
Message 8 of 25

Indeed, that would have been my next question; even playing 4K video requires a good processor and graphics card designed for this purpose.

sony_logo126x24.gif
What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Highlighted
Talent
Message 9 of 25
Message 9 of 25

How come there is nothing to do with screen? Resolutions of the current Tv sets, etc. are probably 1920x1080, the 4K is 3840x2160. As I know you need 4K monitor and right graphic cards, but this is still extremly expensive nowadays. Maybe I miss something Thinking Face, let's explain someone with knowledge in this area ... Thank you beforehand.

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 10 of 25
Message 10 of 25

I assume this is the downscaling as mentioned above, it just means you will not get true 4K quality unless you have a 4K screen capable of displaying the entire 3040x2160 if you dont and have just a 1920x1080 then you will just get regular full HD.

It appears you just need to have a machine powerfull enough to through the HQ video at and process it in time to play it smoothly, so ideally you need a decent multi core CPU, plenty of RAM and some separate GPU memory. which is why my iMac played it ok and the laptops didn;t due to lack of indepentant GPU memory.