account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please read this if you considering unlocking the boot loader or rooting your phone.

Important information

Please note that you may void the warranty of your phone and/or any warranty from your operator if you unlock the boot loader. You should only unlock the boot loader of your phone if you are an advanced user with good knowledge of the technology and risks involved.

For more information go here http://unlockbootloader.sonymobile.com/

Please also note

The Sony Xperia support team will not be able provide any support, related to unlocking the boot loader or rooting your phone.

We also recommend you to read the below blogposts.

http://developer.sonymobile.com/wp/2011/03/29/unlocking-the-boot-loader-in-the-new-xperia%e2%84%a2-smartphones/

http://developer.sonymobile.com/wp/2011/04/14/option-to-unlock-the-boot-loader-now-available-for-advanced-developers/

http://developer.sonymobile.com/wp/2011/09/28/sony-ericsson-supports-independent-developers/

Best regards
Sony Xperia support team

Rollback Firmware from Pie to Oreo

One time poster
Message 1 of 14
Message 1 of 14

Rollback Firmware from Pie to Oreo

Hi all,

Long story short, ever since I updated to Android 9 (Pie), I have been having a TON of issues with my mobile hotspot.. connecting it to my Nintendo Switch. I have tried almost everything but nothing seems to work. Does anyone know how hard it would be to rollback to Android V8? I am sure it was working perfectly fine when it was V8. Thanks!

13 REPLIES 13
Adept
Message 2 of 14
Message 2 of 14

I need to roll back to oreo

hey guys, I installed android pie through xperifirm but i want to go back to oreo, but that is gone now out of xperifirm, so im asking if anyone could help me find the customized IL oreo.

One time poster
Message 3 of 14
Message 3 of 14

can i downgrade from android 9?

Hello,

I just updated my phone because it kept on whining that i need to update... so i did the update and i don't like it at all... is it poseble to downgrade back to android 8?

I just can't work with this version

Message 4 of 14
Message 4 of 14

Re: can i downgrade from android 9?

@bluky

There's no official method for downgrading your phone. The most used method is to flash an older firmware using 3rd party tools like Flashtool and Xperifirm. You are free to search online for guides on how to perform this, it's an easy procedure but you should know that you're doing it on your own risk, as errors my brick your phone.

My advice: give Pie a chance. While it has some drawbacks (like volume control and WiFi/BT quick settings), but under the hood, it has really good features (like advanced battery management and smart backlight control).

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Visitor
Message 5 of 14
Message 5 of 14

Hi Quester, 

I hope Sony are getting ready for lots of people to return their phones. This update is appalling. The main parts you mentioned yourself, the Volume display is so incredibly irritating and the Bluetooth is GGGRRRRRRRRR. **bleep**. I loved this phone when I got it. Until the last 2 updates. Why do companies find it acceptable to change things for the sake of it, Just leave things or give people an option to change back. 

And, the smart backlight control you mention is worse than ever. I've had to turn it off. 

Message 6 of 14
Message 6 of 14

@moanie

Please bear in mind that these new "features" are Google's design, not Sony's. You can also leave some suggestions and feedback at the official Android Forum.

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Visitor
Message 7 of 14
Message 7 of 14

So is the Android Forum the best place to leave feedback? Sorry to say, but it sounds like a lot of buck passing.  Why would a reputable company release something like this to their customers?

I just don't understand. 

Highlighted
Learner
Message 8 of 14
Message 8 of 14

Android 8.1 installation?

Since Android 9 navigation keys are very bad, I want to go back to Android 8.1. How can I do that?
Sony quality is ruined with the latest update.

One time poster
Message 9 of 14
Message 9 of 14

How can I downgrade to Android Oreo?

Buongiorno, volevo sapere se c'è un modo per tornare ad android Oreo 8 da android pie 9?

Grazie

Good morning, I wanted to know if there is a way to go back to android Oreo 8 from android pie 9?

Thank you

-GT

Rookie
Message 10 of 14
Message 10 of 14

Xperia 9.0 downgrade

In a word , this latest update was only released in Australia two days ago. my advise is DO NOT INSTALL and avoid at all costs. All my playlists from my music app have gone . An issue that I can describe as dire as I work in the media and have hundreds of original music segments that appear on TV as background music globaly. Often I have requests for short story segments that are visualized over a phone conversation and i quickly send an email sample via my Xperia ZX premium. Not only have a I lost years of play lists but also thousands of historical text messages that were used for clients on last point of contact. You may ask yourself why didn't I have a back up? yes for starters the Xperia backup kept freezing half way through and would not work on previous Sony  Z2, Z5 and was advised by Sony customer support in Australia that are based in New Zealand to use Google. I did that and also paid for the premium google drive and now have 100GB. Just so we are all clear I had a backup via pc companion but was over a year old.  I contacted customer support who operate from New zealand and was advised to perform another backup they suggested I purchase a new MicroSD card because there may? be an issue with the card and it could be causing the problem with the play lists. After spending $99.00 I called again to seek guidance and was advised I should do another backup on PC companion . I did that and restored the phone as directed. I now have no playlists, no historical messages and have lost all my history and ruined my life as I do not have any background from last clients for follow up communications. Sony customer care New Zealand are unless and have no idea. What makes matters worse you cannot talk to anyone outside Australia because of geo restrictions. As a professional who uses Sony equipment for television, I strongly recommend you keep away from this 9.0 update as its more a downgrade and will ruin your life and Sony does not care.. Its the worse experience of my communications life. I will be posting were ever I can to warn other unsuspecting uses of the danger.. Frustrating because you know the backup is there but the new software just wont read it. YOU  SONY.