account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please read this if you considering unlocking the boot loader or rooting your phone.

Important information

Please note that you may void the warranty of your phone and/or any warranty from your operator if you unlock the boot loader. You should only unlock the boot loader of your phone if you are an advanced user with good knowledge of the technology and risks involved.

For more information go here http://unlockbootloader.sonymobile.com/

Please also note

The Sony Xperia support team will not be able provide any support, related to unlocking the boot loader or rooting your phone.

We also recommend you to read the below blogposts.

http://developer.sonymobile.com/wp/2011/03/29/unlocking-the-boot-loader-in-the-new-xperia%e2%84%a2-smartphones/

http://developer.sonymobile.com/wp/2011/04/14/option-to-unlock-the-boot-loader-now-available-for-advanced-developers/

http://developer.sonymobile.com/wp/2011/09/28/sony-ericsson-supports-independent-developers/

Best regards
Sony Xperia support team

{GUIDE} How to Root Xperia™ Smartphones [2011 and 2012 Xperias]

One time poster
Message 71 of 287
Message 71 of 287

Re: {GUIDE} How to Root Xperia™ Smartphones

Hi Nabeel,

I have been trying to follow the instructions for rooting.

I had anroid 4.0.4 (from sony). I have a Ray.

I got bootloader unlocked from sony

I flashed with <5MB kernal files available here and in xda.(i've tried 2-3 kernals of .562)

I ran DoomLordv4 root and this is what I got:

cmd.jpg

I had tried using super one click also which got hung after failing.

And the soumikray said some steps were missing in the Doomlord's process and tried using the back key .... still no output.

So now I have flashed the entire phone with 4.0.3 and now i run that so it can be easily be rooted.

And yet I am stuck. I am not clear with rooting part of Doomlord ---- Should I connect the phone to the PC in flash mode (volume down)...? And also whether phone should be off or not.

PS: I have windows 8 and i also added the adb drivers after advanced restart (followed links in xda).

I am new with rooting but i'm stuck for sometime now. Please help. Thanks. Cheers!

Message was edited by: creptil

Forum Legend
Message 72 of 287
Message 72 of 287

satyanreddyg it has various functions, one of which is to lock the branded phones when another firmware is flashed on a phone

akosijesselle Connect flash drivers ? you mean usb drives and flash drives ?

Or you mean flashmode/ flash drivers of flashtool ?

sergiozaki. Just update your phone via pc companion to 4.1.b.0.587 and then root it again using my guide.

Niket Just take the battery out and reinsert it, switch it on, connect it to PC and run the rooting toolkit

Once rooting toolkit is done with rooting, flash the 4.1.b.0.587 KERNEL

creptil Oops, you posted just now.

Replying in 5 minutes, will edit this reply, so check it Slightly smiling Face

Alright, here it is.

First of all flash back the 4.0.4 because it's really better compared to 4.0.3

Then uninstall the version of flashtool that you're having , download and install this one

http://www.4shared.com/file/ByOxNqzM/flashtool-0980-windows.html

Then follow the guide to root

That's it

And while connecting to flashtool or PC companion in flashmode, you need to do so by holding the volume down key.

While using rooting toolkit, you just need to connect your phone to PC ( Phone should be on and not switched off)

Message was edited by: Nabeel

One time poster
Message 73 of 287
Message 73 of 287

Thanks for the quick reply. Will try what you said. Will try and let u know...

Hi... Now i've got a bigger problem..... This is not the place to post the prob but please help......

The 4.0.4 flash file i downloaded was a bit of a problem. Flash got stuck and i disconnected it and tried flashing again and this is what i get:

flash.jpg

I tried using PC Companion - Repair Device Tool... But figured my phone had to load some files first to detect what to repair.....

Do you have a solution or has the phone hit rock bottom?

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 74 of 287
Message 74 of 287

Thanks Slightly smiling Face   I did that and i dint lose it

One time poster
Message 75 of 287
Message 75 of 287

USB Flash Drive Slightly smiling Face

Forum Legend
Message 76 of 287
Message 76 of 287

creptil i think that error should go once you restart your PC. Try it and let me know

akosijesselle, nopes friend i don't have any guide for that, But i hope you've rooted your phone.

this will help you

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1588940

Learner
Message 77 of 287
Message 77 of 287

Dear Nabeel

Xperia ray does't have a push button for "back". I followed the guide and what is written on the flashtool screen. It says:

1- unplug the device (done)

2- power off the device (done)

3- press the back button and hold it

At this step I *touch* the back button and plug the usb cale to Ray. What I see on the phone screen is "sony" word and then the battery charge icon. Flashtools shows

16/007/2013 20:07:09 - INFO - Selected ST18i_4.1.A.0.562_kernel.ftf     

16/007/2013 20:07:09 - INFO - Preparing files for flashing     

16/007/2013 20:07:09 - INFO - Please connect your device into flashmode.     

16/007/2013 20:07:41 - INFO - Device connected with USB debugging off     

16/007/2013 20:07:41 - INFO - For 2011 devices line, be sure you are not in MTP mode

Although it says usb debugging is off, but indeed marked usb debugging prior to power off. I see no progress for two minutes (the flashtools window still is waiting for device). Then I unplug the device

16/009/2013 20:09:03 - INFO - Device disconnected     

16/009/2013 20:09:06 - INFO - Flash canceled     

What is fault in my case?

Forum Legend
Message 78 of 287
Message 78 of 287

mahmoodn Use the volume down key instead while connecting.

I see you're flashing .562 kernel.

Are you on ICS ? because in here http://talk.sonymobile.com/message/438305#438305 you were on Gb

Just confirming so that you do not run in any trouble.

You flashed ICS ? Slightly smiling Face

Learner
Message 79 of 287
Message 79 of 287

Thanks Nabeel. Yes I have upgraded to ICS

One time poster
Message 80 of 287
Message 80 of 287

thnx nabeel for your work but i am facing some problem in flashing here is the error -

"

18/039/2013 17:39:03 - INFO - <- This level is successfully initialized     

18/039/2013 17:39:03 - INFO - Flashtool Version 0.9.10.1 built on 2013-01-09 19:49:47     

18/039/2013 17:39:03 - INFO - You can drag and drop ftf files here to start flashing them     

18/039/2013 17:39:10 - ERROR - Drivers need to be installed for connected device.     

18/039/2013 17:39:10 - ERROR - You can find them in the drivers folder of Flashtool.     "

plz help me solve this my device is sony ericsson live with walkman... thnx...!!!