account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please read this if you considering unlocking the boot loader or rooting your phone.

Important information

Please note that you may void the warranty of your phone and/or any warranty from your operator if you unlock the boot loader. You should only unlock the boot loader of your phone if you are an advanced user with good knowledge of the technology and risks involved.

For more information go here http://unlockbootloader.sonymobile.com/

Please also note

The Sony Xperia support team will not be able provide any support, related to unlocking the boot loader or rooting your phone.

We also recommend you to read the below blogposts.

http://developer.sonymobile.com/wp/2011/03/29/unlocking-the-boot-loader-in-the-new-xperia%e2%84%a2-smartphones/

http://developer.sonymobile.com/wp/2011/04/14/option-to-unlock-the-boot-loader-now-available-for-advanced-developers/

http://developer.sonymobile.com/wp/2011/09/28/sony-ericsson-supports-independent-developers/

Best regards
Sony Xperia support team

{GUIDE} How to Install Jelly Bean , ICS ( Ice Cream Sandwich) and Gingerbread on Xperia™ Smartphones, as well as root them

Forum Legend
Message 991 of 1,189
Message 991 of 1,189

Re: {GUIDE} How to Install Jelly Bean , ICS ( Ice Cream Sandwich) and Gingerbread on Xperia™ Smartphones, as well as root them

LeoOrta Haha Winking Face

I could feel how happy you're. All they very best with your ICS and rooted phone Slightly smiling Face

zcacogp Nice to see you again

Hmm, lots of question asked in a proper way, which i really really like and love to answer Slightly smiling Face

For the very first question, yeah, you could only flash a stock kernel.

From my understanding, what you want outta youre device is speed and good battery backup. Well you can achieve that with a locked bootloader so smile Winking Face ( Lets continue this point in the last ) **

Ofcourse ICS is far more bettery than GB and at the same time a little laggy. All your points regarding pros of ICS are a just more than correct.

** The key to fast phone is Rooting. Once you root your phone, you'd be able to remove bloatware ( unusefull preinstalled apps that come with the mobile and couldn't be uninstalled) . These are the apps that keep on running in the background which not only uses ram but battery too.

I think you've started to understand what i'm trying to say. Once you remove bloatware, you'd free up a lot of RAM ( thus making the processor faster), internal memory, thus abling your mobile to attain a good battery backup.

Moreover you can enjoy a lot of stuff and modifications on your rooted phone

Which phone do you have ? what's the build number it's running ?

Ignore typing errors I'm in hurry Dizzy Face

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 992 of 1,189
Message 992 of 1,189

Re: {GUIDE} How to Install Jelly Bean , ICS ( Ice Cream Sandwich) and Gingerbread on Xperia™ Smartphones, as well as root them

Nabeel,

Trust me, I am appreciating these answers as much as you are appreciating giving them!

The 'phone is an Xperia U (ST25i), bought because I didn't want a big 'phone and because it looked good. Although, to be honest, it's been a bit of a disappointment since day 1; Orange (my provider) still haven't released the update to take it beyond GB and it was stuffed with bloatware (Sat Nav systems which didn't work unless you paid them more money, Orange Wednesdays, numerous music things, facebook and a bunch of other stuff I will never use.) Upgrading to ICS has been a help as it has got rid of a lot of these things - the Firmware in the link in your post was clearly not provided by Orange!

OK, rooting is the answer. Smoother, faster and less power-hungry ICS would hit the spot perfectly for me - you're spot on. What bits of bloatware are there that I can get rid of? It does't seem to have a lot on it that I don't use (it doesn't have facebook, deezer, Orange Wednesdays and so on). What else can I get rid of that will make it quicker?

Thanks again for your help. It's appreciated.

Oli.

Forum Legend
Message 993 of 1,189
Message 993 of 1,189

I do not provide branded firmware.

And most probably you have faceebook installed but it's disabled. Go to settings > apps > all > scroll doown to the last and see the disabled apps. And there are so many apps that you could get rid off Winking Face

So first of all start fresh.

Reinstall the software on your phone using flashtool again and then do not install any app but root your phone.

Then Follow this post of mine

http://talk.sonymobile.com/message/398679#398679

Let me know if you have any questions Slightly smiling Face

One time poster
Message 994 of 1,189
Message 994 of 1,189

Re: {GUIDE} How to Install ICS ( Ice Cream Sandwich) on Xperia™ Smartphones, Root and Downgrade to Gingerbread

I have succesfully updated my phone by using PC Companion on other PC(Windows 7). Thanks for your suggestion! I guess the update wont work on Windows 8 just yet. Thanks a lot ^^

One time poster
Message 995 of 1,189
Message 995 of 1,189

Nabeel,

No questions. At all. That worked very easily (couldn't make the Linux version of the root tool work on Ubuntu so dug out an old XP lappie and fired that up, and it worked fine.) And installed Rom Customizer and removed a LOT of software. You're right - I did have facebook. About 8 different bits of it. And about a million other things.

And ... it has TRANSFORMED the 'phone! Seriously. It is now slick, smooth and (most importantly) usable. Thank you very much indeed. I knew that bloatware was a problem, I didn't know how much of a problem it was! The 'phone is now about as easy to use as my old Rooted-and-ROM'd HTC Desire, and as nice to have. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

The most telling thing I can say is that I am finally happy with my Xperia U, and I am no longer considering selling it on eBay and buying an older HTC.

Oli.

Forum Legend
Message 996 of 1,189
Message 996 of 1,189

clob No problem Slightly smiling Face

zcacogp Yahooo, finally you got what you wanted Slightly smiling Face

Just don't install many apps . Also if you want to remove extra bloatware then take screenshots covering all the apps in system/app and send them to me. I would further tell you which apps to remove.

There are many that i know you could remove without any problem ( Not in the list )

Slightly smiling Face

One time poster
Message 997 of 1,189
Message 997 of 1,189

hello guys,

first of all thanks to Nabeel.

Im a newbie to Andriod and smartphones days ago i purchased SE LWW on ebay with awesome price it came with Andriod 2.3.4 when i connect to PC there is an update to Andriod  4.0 i waited some days and upgraded to ICS and here we go with problems seeing some lag in UI and i hate call log system in 4.0 and they battery bakup is worst in ICS its keeping drinking battery power complety Idle

Why i switched to ICS is we can close apps by holding the home bottons there any app like this in 2.3.4 please help me

With the help of Nabeel instructions i have sucessfully downgrade to 2.3.4 :smileygrin: now i want any application to close that background running apps 

How to get battery backup i dont need useless apps that can't uninstall

and one more thing when i call to Sony service center they said they will charge to downgrade Android 4.0 to 2.3.4 with cost 450 ruppes ( INDIA ) approx 50 dollors Slightly frowning Face

One time poster
Message 998 of 1,189
Message 998 of 1,189

Re: {GUIDE} Install ICS as well as root Arc S , Ray and Neo V

Hi Nabeel

I am using Xperia P, & my phone is under warranty. I am using ICS operating system & wish to downgrade to Gingerbread. But, my phone is under warranty. I dont wanna loose the warranty as well. I have red your post regarding the boot loader, but could not understand it thoroughly.

Can you let me know that if I lock the bootloader, will I regain my warranty.?

And I am also having a problem related to the microphones. There is a message flashing on my screen saying

The Accessory's microphone & buttons are not available.

Plz help me out..!!

Screenshot_2013-01-29-06-14-41.png

One time poster
Message 999 of 1,189
Message 999 of 1,189

if your phone is in warranty than take to sony service center theyw ill downgrade to 2.3.4 free of cost in warranty

and if you new to this try at own risk

One time poster
Message 1000 of 1,189
Message 1000 of 1,189

hi Satyanreddyg

I have tried the service center as well..but cud not receive any positive response from there as well.

They told me that they cannot downgrade my software to gingerbread..

I am still facing problems & this smartphone of mine has now started behaving idiotically now.