account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please read this if you considering unlocking the boot loader or rooting your phone.

Important information

Please note that you may void the warranty of your phone and/or any warranty from your operator if you unlock the boot loader. You should only unlock the boot loader of your phone if you are an advanced user with good knowledge of the technology and risks involved.

For more information go here http://unlockbootloader.sonymobile.com/

Please also note

The Sony Xperia support team will not be able provide any support, related to unlocking the boot loader or rooting your phone.

We also recommend you to read the below blogposts.

http://developer.sonymobile.com/wp/2011/03/29/unlocking-the-boot-loader-in-the-new-xperia%e2%84%a2-smartphones/

http://developer.sonymobile.com/wp/2011/04/14/option-to-unlock-the-boot-loader-now-available-for-advanced-developers/

http://developer.sonymobile.com/wp/2011/09/28/sony-ericsson-supports-independent-developers/

Best regards
Sony Xperia support team

{GUIDE} How to Install Jelly Bean , ICS ( Ice Cream Sandwich) and Gingerbread on Xperia™ Smartphones, as well as root them

One time poster
Message 981 of 1,189
Message 981 of 1,189

Re: {GUIDE} How to Install ICS ( Ice Cream Sandwich) on Xperia™ Smartphones, Root and Downgrade to Gingerbread

I want to update my phone to ICS since my phone having  an overheating issues. But after trying the PC Companion, SUS and Flashtool method, I still can't update my phone.

Forum Legend
Message 982 of 1,189
Message 982 of 1,189

Re: {GUIDE} How to Install ICS ( Ice Cream Sandwich) on Xperia™ Smartphones, Root and Downgrade to Gingerbread

Do you see the update in SUS and PC Companion ?

In no then flashtool is the only method.

I suggest that you try flashing using another PC.

One time poster
Message 983 of 1,189
Message 983 of 1,189

Huge thanks I have succesfully installed the firmware and rooted it on my Go Slightly smiling Face

Learner
Message 984 of 1,189
Message 984 of 1,189

Hi Nabeel,

Thanks a bunch for reply.

I read somewhere on XDA forum that once unlocked the phone doesnt come back to its original state even after repairing it through PCC or SUS. Is that true?

I tried yaffey v0.1 and 0.2 both but they can not open the system.yaffs2 dumped from system.sin file. I guess sony developers have put something into it which we cant change.

But there's gotta be some way, isnt it? after all it open source Winking Face

Forum Legend
Message 985 of 1,189
Message 985 of 1,189

TrixzD Antime Slightly smiling Face

sourabh That thing is bootloader. If bootloader's unlocked once,  it remains unlocked forever. And phone can never be back to stock condition again.

I will have to look into your other question though Slightly smiling Face

One time poster
Message 986 of 1,189
Message 986 of 1,189

hi mr.nabeel...i have  Sony Ericsson Xperia X2 ( WiFi )  this is a windows oparating systam

can  i  instal  android ...in this  mobile...?

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 987 of 1,189
Message 987 of 1,189

Nabeel, (and everyone else who has contributed),

Thanks for this thread. I've used the FlashTool now to load ICS onto my Xperia U whchi previously had Gingerbread. And it worked beautifully! Thank you for writing the post and for creating the FlashTool software.

Two questions (and please do point me at the answers if they have already been dealt with elsewhere - I've had a hunt and can't see what I'm looking for.)

- My bootlader can't be unlocked. I'm familiar with what a bootloader is, and what rooting is, and what a new ROM is, but don't quite understand how you can change the ROM without unlocking the bootloader. Is there a simple explanation? I used the ICS ROM you linked to in your first post and it works fine, but am I unable to use other ROMS for the 'phone - custom ROMS, for instance? (I had a rooted HTC Desire before and the rooting process for that was quite different, and I gained a lot from using custom ROMs on that. Is this not possible on the Xperia U as it stands?)

- I don't think my 'phone is rooted; I have no 'SU' app that i can see (although I have been able to get rid of some apps that were previously 'fixed' in the 'phone - 'Orange Wednesdays' for instance.) If I look at FlashTool while the 'phone is plugged in I get two options for the 'Root Package' - one is "Superuser" and one is "SuperSU". What's the difference and which one do I want?

Thanks again.

Oli.

Forum Legend
Message 988 of 1,189
Message 988 of 1,189

habimadathil Sorry friend but you can't install anything on your phone using this guide Slightly frowning Face

zcacogp Hi Slightly smiling Face

We need an unlocked bootloader to flash custom kernel and several roms out there use custom kernel.

But there are rom based on Sony's stock kernel. Means you could flash those roms on your phone without having to unlock the bootloader.

And the the Rom that you're referring to in my guide is actually a firmware and not a rom. It's a stock sony firmware which you get from PC Companion

The reason you can't unlock the bootloader is because your phone is locked to Orange.

And to root your phone you don't have to use flashtool but rooting toolkit by binf4ry

Here's the link http://talk.sonymobile.com/message/398678#398678

See how to root xperia U

Learner
Message 989 of 1,189
Message 989 of 1,189

Re: {GUIDE} How to Install Jelly Bean , ICS ( Ice Cream Sandwich) and Gingerbread on Xperia™ Smartphones, as well as root them

Thanks Naabel. I have a XPERIA mini pro Sk17a.

I installed the last firmware. Now I have ICS in my phone. My bootloader is lock. I made my phone Root and installed a patch for the LED bug, this patch is really fine and functional, this patch it's from xda developers and support for 4.1.B.0.587.

I just want say Thanks Naabel.

Just one thing more: I have a Sk17a and installed 4.1.B.0.587 for Sk17i. All function perfectly, 3G included. I'm from México.

One time poster
Message 990 of 1,189
Message 990 of 1,189

Nabeel,

Thank you. That is a very clear explanation of what a locked bootloader does - very helpful. So, while my bootloader is locked then am I stuck with the standard kernel?

I am looking to update my 'phone so that it runs more smoothy (quicker) and the battery lasts longer - something that rooting my HTC desire and putting a custom ROM on it achieved. (Replacing the standard ROM on the Desire improved the 'phone massively.) I am not fussed with most of the functionality that comes with the 'phone but do want it to be fast, responsive and have good battery life.

If I am stuck with the standard kernel because the bootloader can't be unlocked, will I be able to achieve this? (If so, can you recommend some ROMS for me to try out?)

An aside - ICS seems better to me than GB; the functions are better (things like long-pressing home, for instance) and Google Chrome is a lot better than the standard browser - and Chrome only works on ICS and above. The GPS location finding seems quicker and more stable too. But the 'phone does feel laggier and slower, and often freezes for a few seconds with ICS. If I could get ICS to run fast and smoothly then it would be ideal. Is this possible? (I have yet to root it but am guessing that this will make no difference to speed of operation.)

Oli.