account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please read this if you considering unlocking the boot loader or rooting your phone.

Important information

Please note that you may void the warranty of your phone and/or any warranty from your operator if you unlock the boot loader. You should only unlock the boot loader of your phone if you are an advanced user with good knowledge of the technology and risks involved.

For more information go here http://unlockbootloader.sonymobile.com/

Please also note

The Sony Xperia support team will not be able provide any support, related to unlocking the boot loader or rooting your phone.

We also recommend you to read the below blogposts.

http://developer.sonymobile.com/wp/2011/03/29/unlocking-the-boot-loader-in-the-new-xperia%e2%84%a2-smartphones/

http://developer.sonymobile.com/wp/2011/04/14/option-to-unlock-the-boot-loader-now-available-for-advanced-developers/

http://developer.sonymobile.com/wp/2011/09/28/sony-ericsson-supports-independent-developers/

Best regards
Sony Xperia support team

{GUIDE} How to Install Jelly Bean , ICS ( Ice Cream Sandwich) and Gingerbread on Xperia™ Smartphones, as well as root them

One time poster
Message 641 of 1,189
Message 641 of 1,189

Re: {GUIDE} How to Install ICS ( Ice Cream Sandwich) on Xperia™ Smartphones, Root and Downgrade to Gingerbread

anytime Slightly smiling Face

Visitor
Message 642 of 1,189
Message 642 of 1,189

Re: {GUIDE} How to Install ICS ( Ice Cream Sandwich) on Xperia™ Smartphones, Root and Downgrade to Gingerbread

what is the kernel vertion after update? mine was same kernel in GB 2.6.32.9

One time poster
Message 643 of 1,189
Message 643 of 1,189

well, I have waited so long for ics for my xperia s, some versions are out for my country but unfortunately there seems no any ics update in close future.

This all because of a carrier copany, and also Sony-Turkey's short vision (in fact this is one of the mistakes they do in Turkish market to loose the consumers asap)... Xperia s models started to be sold via a Turkish carrier as unlocked but however Sony agreed to implant the carrier's programs which follows and reports (and consumes the battery)  everything even if you do not use this carrier and insert another carrier's sim card. So, I am informed that the ics update will be announced only the carrier's implantation has been completed for this specific si number.

Then, I followed the instructions, everything carefully, except I have downloaded Generic German versions from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1723610. In fact there is no any difference in Generic versions for being in this or that language, because os and keyboard language support all the languages (by the way generic version is for LT26i (international) exactly like my phone (LT26i) so there is no any mismatch possibility....

Everything was smooth and easy, although the phone was working so perfect I used SUS & repair option to get the generic version once more and now I have ics 4.0.4 / 6.1.A.0.452 and the phone working so smooth, surprisingly the battery's performance has changed for better...

There is only one question in my mind, in case of an update release can I accept and install it, is there any risk?

Anyway thanks a lot for the update guide... It works great!

Forum Legend
Message 644 of 1,189
Message 644 of 1,189

sami1402 i don't have any idea at present because the file is not mine..

i will upload mine and let you know

Slowly and slowly i am uploading my own firmwares

Javx Assalam o alaikum Winking Face

You must have updated eithe through pc companion or sus and that's the reason you lost root access

Now at present you are on 4.0.4 ?

Then you need to flash kernel from 4.0.3 and then root it again and then flash back the 4.0.4 kernel again

Here is how

deleema1 kerne version is same for everyone 2.6.32.9

BarbarosxPeriaS There is no risk at all

All roms are official Slightly smiling Face

Consider as if you haven't done anything to your mobile Winking Face

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 645 of 1,189
Message 645 of 1,189

Hi nabeel

do you remember me im the one that needs arabic in my ics my phone is arc s you told me to remind you to upload your firmware im still waiting

a question the other firmwares do they have arabic i need an answer cause my friends want to update to ics but hey also need arabic

I thank you very very much for your Cooperation with me Winking FaceSlightly smiling Face

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 646 of 1,189
Message 646 of 1,189

Nabeel and 100rabh791 thank you for posting such easy to follow advice on upgrading to ICS. After about a month of waiting for the official OK from Sony, (and 3rd parties), I decided to go ahead and flash the update myself. I'm VERY happy with the results. I'd say ICS is running faster than GB was and it's great to be able to use Chrome - The browser is excellent!

FYI, I'm on Xperia Arc LT15i with Orange and was (im)patiently waiting for the upgrade for model 1246-9197 to be released.

One time poster
Message 647 of 1,189
Message 647 of 1,189

For the Ray, you have files for ST18i; what happens if I use those files to unlock my 18a?

One time poster
Message 648 of 1,189
Message 648 of 1,189

Hi Nabeel,

I just rooted my phone using the steps that u mentioned in this thread.. but.. I can't update my phone, either using PC Companion, or Sony Update Service...

When I try to repair using PC Companion, i'll said, "There is no software available for your phone"

Could you please help me... Thanks...

Could you tell me how I can update my phone, just as the last step that you mentioned, to repair phone using SUS....

By the way, my phone now are working just fine.. great job Nabeel....

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 649 of 1,189
Message 649 of 1,189

@Dean: If you update ur device using PCC or SUS, then you will lose the root access immediately. Why do you want to update? Don't you have ICS 4.0.4 installed?

Forum Legend
Message 650 of 1,189
Message 650 of 1,189

Omg ahmadm.o why didn't you remind me earlier

i uploaded that firmware 12 days ago

See the date

http://www.4shared.com/rar/Q4sx8pEO/LT18i_41B0431_1254-8596_Generi.html

craigmcdonnell Great my friend, enjoy ICS.. Slightly smiling Face. Thanks for letting me knw

cnsultnt nothin will happen, you will shift to i version

Just remeber while using flashtool if you get the option to exclude Simlock.Ta then, exclude it

You don't have to flash simlock.ta

dean_cybernetics as Auni said you will loose root

If you are on ICS only then what;s the problem buddy ? you are on the latest update, and then pc companion won't show any update available

Or am i missing something ?

Can you elaborate