account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please read this if you considering unlocking the boot loader or rooting your phone.

Important information

Please note that you may void the warranty of your phone and/or any warranty from your operator if you unlock the boot loader. You should only unlock the boot loader of your phone if you are an advanced user with good knowledge of the technology and risks involved.

For more information go here http://unlockbootloader.sonymobile.com/

Please also note

The Sony Xperia support team will not be able provide any support, related to unlocking the boot loader or rooting your phone.

We also recommend you to read the below blogposts.

http://developer.sonymobile.com/wp/2011/03/29/unlocking-the-boot-loader-in-the-new-xperia%e2%84%a2-smartphones/

http://developer.sonymobile.com/wp/2011/04/14/option-to-unlock-the-boot-loader-now-available-for-advanced-developers/

http://developer.sonymobile.com/wp/2011/09/28/sony-ericsson-supports-independent-developers/

Best regards
Sony Xperia support team

{GUIDE} How to Install Jelly Bean , ICS ( Ice Cream Sandwich) and Gingerbread on Xperia™ Smartphones, as well as root them

One time poster
Message 191 of 1,189
Message 191 of 1,189

Re: UPDATED CONTENT {GUIDE} Install ICS ( Ice Cream Sandwich) as well as root Arc S , Ray and Neo V

Thanks for the explaining Auni! Slightly smiling Face
I think I'll leave the over and underclocking for later on, I want to have a little more experience before I do something wrong. :smileygrin:

One time poster
Message 192 of 1,189
Message 192 of 1,189

Re: {GUIDE} Install ICS ( Ice Cream Sandwich) as well as root Arc S , Ray and Neo V ( Downgrade to Gingerbread)

Hi

Just quick thoughts about ICS update and rooting my ARC S… Actually was waiting to do it a long time ago but was waiting for official ICS, since my phone is not on the list I decided to do it via flasher with official NORDIC, it all went smooth and in @8min was able to enjoy new ICS, but my joy was rather bitter/sweet as not everything was running like I expected…

Anyways, won’t be going into details but mainly…

• Home launcher long re-draw/re-loadings
  • Some HD games aren’t usable anymore (i.e. Shadow Guardian)
  • Long phone/dialer load times (imagine advert spot with i.e. James Bond running with XPERIA with ICS placing urgent call – only to hear “5…4…3…2…1… You may place your call sir…”

I guess these ones are the main problems for me personally. There are many more small quirks but I can get around them.

OKI so after reading articles about flashing/re-flashing, downgrading to older GB etc… and making sure process is reversible (if done correctly) – in case I get fed up with it all I can go back to good old GB.

Method of rooting went so smooth and took only few min, now after installing Titanium Backup (making back up first of all apps/settings) and getting rid of some unneeded apps, cleaning cache for all apps and cleaning Dalvik Cache – I can say that I have different phone than right after installing ICS… is more responsive, apps are opening faster, although home launcher is still reloading after heavy use of other apps for example Browser, overall use is much better.

I also noticed that it takes considerable longer to re-load launcher with folders made with diff. apps, I have few folders made for quick access Internet/New/Media/Entertainment/Utils/Games etc… and it takes like 3-4sec to redraw all the icons in them. (maybe will get rid of them in the future)

Also scrolling between screens could be smoother…

updt. Installed Apex Launcher after freezing Sony Home Launcher – overall experience change even more dramatically – scrolling between screens is so much smoother, have option to change gird of screens to 5x4 which is in my opinion much nicer… is still re-loading after quitting i.e. Browser with like 5 tabs, but it reloads much faster than stock HL… for now will stick with AL, although won’t have native Player WG… all is super…

I have constantly running: IM+; Weather Widget (no stock one) – have to have temp info on taskbar; Battery Widget – it’s a must for me to see % of battery in the task bar – too bad sony didn’t implemented in stock battery icon; flashlight button widget – constantly using it in the evening before getting to bedWinking Face  stock widgets ON/OFF for diff wifi, BT…; player widget (copied from XPERIA S); Google Drive WG; FriendCaster big WG with all updates from FB – need to know what’s up around the world  and few direct links to some music albums.

I also got rid of app killer, I had some installed and was using to clean memory on regular basis – but can say that there is no difference in speed as without one,  actually phone is quite responsive and fast without any app killer etc…

So people… 3 words… FLASH, ROOT, TWEAK and you will feel like YOU OWN the phone and not the other way around…

One time poster
Message 193 of 1,189
Message 193 of 1,189

Re: UPDATED CONTENT {GUIDE} Install ICS ( Ice Cream Sandwich) as well as root Arc S , Ray and Neo V

Hi Auni,

Followed the link provided and I have rooted my Ray.

How do I install the themes which are in the XDA forum u ve mentioned?

What are bloatwares u guys are speaking abt? How do i disable them?

Iam totally new to all this :smileygrin: so please don mind my stupid questions. Slightly smiling Face

Also wats the use of rooting? I dont see anything much I can do after rooting. Please guide me.

One time poster
Message 194 of 1,189
Message 194 of 1,189

Hello Fernando,

The Theme installation are given in the XDA page. Check @ the first post please.Slightly smiling Face

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1481769

The bloatwares we were talking about is nothing but some softwares that comes preloaded with any Android OS and occupies RAM always. By rooting we can get rid of those whick makes the OS more responsibe with better multitasking.

Please check the link here for bloarwares list-

Thanks to Flo95 for uploading the list in XDA. This is the basic list. By i have removed like almost 50 apps. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1614761

List of the Junk Apps for 4.1.A.0.562:

• - adobereader.apk (Delete this if you have any third party pdf reader installed.)
  • - antradioservice.apk (ANT Radio Service, u can also disable it)
  • - chinesetextinput.apk (chinese keyboard; I am not chinese)
  • - datatrafficswitch.apk (Data on/off widget, Keep it if do not have any other shortcut access to the Data traffic settings)
  • - DigitalClockWidget.apk (digital clock widget)
  • - Home.apk (Sony launcher, disable it rather deleting, but make sure that you have another launcher installed before!!)
  • - JapaneseIME.apk (japanese keyboard: I am not japanese)
  • - letsgolf_ay.apk (Let's Golf: No Thanks)
  • - livewaremanager.apk (Live Ware Manager: depends on ur need)
  • - neoreader.apk (Neoreader)
  • - officesuite.apk (Office Suite)
  • - OmaDatasyncService.apk (part of Sony Sync)
  • - playnowclientarvato.apk (Play Now: We have Google Play)
  • - POBoxSknPink.apk (skin for chinese keyboard)
  • - POBoxSknWood.apk (skin for chinese keyboard)
  • - Protips.apk (Android tips on homescreen)
  • - SemcCrashMonitor.apk (Crash Monitor)
  • - SEMCSetupWizard.apk (Setup Wizard)
  • - Stk.apk (SIM Tool KitSlightly smiling Face
  • - storefront.apk (all the new stuff that has something to do with Fun&Downloads. Removes 3 items from the app drawer that belong to that game thing)
  • - Sync.apk (Sony Sync)
  • - Talk.apk (Google Talk: Optional and up to u)
  • - talkback.apk
  • - trackid.apk (Track ID: Optional Many other serives are there)
  • - UpdateCenter.apk (Update Center)
  • - usersupport.apk (Support)
  • - WeatherWidget.apk (Weather widget)
  • - widgetanalogclock.apk (Clock widget)
  • - widgetcalendar.apk (Calendar widget)
  • - widgetdigitalclock.apk (digital clock widget)
  • - widgetonoff.apk (most on/off widgets: Keep it if u do not have any other shortcut access)
  • - widgettimer.apk (timer widget)
  • - widgetworldclock.apk (world clock widget)
  • - GenieWidget.apk (default News/Weather widget)
  • - retaildemo.apk (Retail demo)
One time poster
Message 195 of 1,189
Message 195 of 1,189

Re: {GUIDE} Install ICS ( Ice Cream Sandwich) as well as root Arc S , Ray and Neo V ( Downgrade to Gingerbread)

i want to downgrade to the previous system without loosing waranty...is not there an official tool like the update tool to revert the mobile back to the previous system?!

Forum Legend
Message 196 of 1,189
Message 196 of 1,189

Not at present

You need to get it done at service center Slightly smiling Face

One time poster
Message 197 of 1,189
Message 197 of 1,189

thx for the reply

but that is too bad because there must be an official tool for that

i will go to the service center as i really hate the new update

One time poster
Message 198 of 1,189
Message 198 of 1,189

Thanks a lot Auni :smileygrin: I have the new theme installed. N its awesome.

Also i have installed few other APK's from xperia s (music player) n it works gr8.

http://www.xperiablog.net/2012/02/25/xperia-s-home-launcher-and-widgets-leaked/

However im no longer seeing the music player on the lock screen when the phone is locked or in the notification bar... please help me out on this...

It is lik the one we had in GB

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 199 of 1,189
Message 199 of 1,189

Fernando, 

Xperia S music player will work on ICS but you won't get the Lockscreen control with that. It may be because the music player has a different build.

To get the music player control in lock screen you will have to use the stock ICS player.

To uninstall the Xperia S player [if u want lock screen control] Go to Settings-Apps-Downloaded- Select Music Player from the list and select Uninstall Updates. Then the orginal ICS player will revert back.

And you r welcome ragarding the themes. 8 more Packs are on the way. I am working on it.Slightly smiling Face

One time poster
Message 200 of 1,189
Message 200 of 1,189

I really have to tel u, the support ur providing to us (new bee's) is really gr8. Really appriciate all ur effort Slightly smiling Face