account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please read this if you considering unlocking the boot loader or rooting your phone.

Important information

Please note that you may void the warranty of your phone and/or any warranty from your operator if you unlock the boot loader. You should only unlock the boot loader of your phone if you are an advanced user with good knowledge of the technology and risks involved.

For more information go here http://unlockbootloader.sonymobile.com/

Please also note

The Sony Xperia support team will not be able provide any support, related to unlocking the boot loader or rooting your phone.

We also recommend you to read the below blogposts.

http://developer.sonymobile.com/wp/2011/03/29/unlocking-the-boot-loader-in-the-new-xperia%e2%84%a2-smartphones/

http://developer.sonymobile.com/wp/2011/04/14/option-to-unlock-the-boot-loader-now-available-for-advanced-developers/

http://developer.sonymobile.com/wp/2011/09/28/sony-ericsson-supports-independent-developers/

Best regards
Sony Xperia support team

{GUIDE} How to Install Jelly Bean , ICS ( Ice Cream Sandwich) and Gingerbread on Xperia™ Smartphones, as well as root them

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 181 of 1,189
Message 181 of 1,189

Re: UPDATED CONTENT {GUIDE} Install ICS ( Ice Cream Sandwich) as well as root Arc S , Ray and Neo V

finally i tried to update use SEUS, and its work

but i've another problem,i don't see any messaging menu

i've tried to message from another phone but its doesnt show any notification

One time poster
Message 182 of 1,189
Message 182 of 1,189

Re: UPDATED CONTENT {GUIDE} Install ICS ( Ice Cream Sandwich) as well as root Arc S , Ray and Neo V

Can we have the raw 4.0.4 run on Ray?

Forum Legend
Message 183 of 1,189
Message 183 of 1,189

do you mean the vanilla ICS? you should check the XDA forum, they might be working on a Custom ROM running 4.0.4

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 184 of 1,189
Message 184 of 1,189

Hi Nabeel (or any expert out there),

A friend of mine rooted his Arc S and installed (I guess it's install) something called Supercharger to make the phone faster. Do  you know anything about it? Do you recomend it?

Also is the root provided by you on the top of the thread the same as doomlord?

Thanks!

One time poster
Message 185 of 1,189
Message 185 of 1,189

This is the Tutorial for Super Charger installation- step by step.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1334834

It's main objective was to reduce the Launcher redraw in GB. But in ICS i think it doesn't work well and more importantly ICS doesn't have Launcher redraw or reloading issues. The problem in ICS is the Home launcher scrolling lag. Super charger won't help on that.

The process is little complex, so read the guide well before installing. But don't worry it won't explode your phone.

One time poster
Message 186 of 1,189
Message 186 of 1,189

Thanks Auni,

So basically there's no point on installing it on ICS! What about rooting? What's the advantages? The only thing I know is that you can remove all bloatware, but beside that what can a newbie do beside that? Dizzy Face

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 187 of 1,189
Message 187 of 1,189

Re: {GUIDE} Install ICS ( Ice Cream Sandwich) as well as root Arc S , Ray and Neo V ( Downgrade to Gingerbread)

Does ICS install on .62?

One time poster
Message 188 of 1,189
Message 188 of 1,189

Rooting  gives an advantage of removing bloatwares. That's free up memory space and you get some internal space free also. That helped me a lot while using GB. ICS root is also available. You can try that.

Rooting will give you an access to try many new tricks and tweaks. You can install different themes, custom widgets, UI changes, Launcher, performancs tweaks etc.

After rooting you can install CWM recovery option [A software free on Google play] That enables you to try out many stuffs i mentioned above Slightly smiling Face.

Like you can try these THEMEs if you have root access. Dizzy Face

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1481769&page=11

One time poster
Message 189 of 1,189
Message 189 of 1,189

I've rooted with DoomLord's ICS root. :smileygrin:

I've installed ad free, titanium backup and now I'll check your themes! Dizzy Face That pure white is quite promising! Dizzy Face

Just a question concerning the CPU "tuning". I've heard that if you overclock your CPU you might "burn" it and actually damage the phone. Is that true? I'm testing all this root thing until my official ICS comes out (because I'll have to downgrade to my stock ROM and I'll lose my root) and then I'll decide if I'll root it again or not. [Newbie Talk] If it doesn't explode (loolol) my phone and actually helps it, why the hell not? I'm liking it so far! :smileygrin:

One time poster
Message 190 of 1,189
Message 190 of 1,189

Overclocking is risky. I think SONY Hardware Engineers has set the clock speed by measuring a lot testing and standard optimizations. So if any XDA member or Developer is saying that Overclocking is safe then it is partially true not exatly true.

For an Example, I have an ARC S with 1.4 Ghz of clock speed. I can overclock it up to 2.00 Ghz. But overclocking actually reduces the life cycle of your CPU. Besides overclocking too much can certainly damage your CPU completely.

I do not overclock but I do underclock a lot. For that I use Frill Cpu from Goggle play. SET Cpu is also good. Under clocking helps me reduce the clock speed of device CPU when it is in sleep mode, which saves a lot of battery.

Like Most of the time i keep my Device clock speed @ 1.00 Ghz, increase it 1.40Ghz only when needed multitasking or Gaming.

Works fine.

To Overclock you need to use a custom Kernel[ DoomKernel]. with Stock kernel overclocking not possible. To use a custom kernel you need to unlock the bootloader. [which is little bit sensitive]

To underclock you do not need anything above. It is simple using frill cpu.

If you have plans for overclocking then following speed is better i guess

If the Factory specific speed is 1.00 Ghz then Overcloking up to 1.2Ghz wont harm much.

***Do not use the device for a long time in Overclocked speed. It will permanently destroy your CPU.***