account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Welcome to Sony's Developer Community!
This is where we discuss development related questions and share experiences using Sony SDK's
Regards
@SonyDevWorld

Android Q Full Gestural Navigation

Highlighted
Regular
Message 1 of 2
Message 1 of 2

Android Q Full Gestural Navigation

What's everyone's opinion on it so far?

The new Full Gestural Navigation is a step further than the Android Pie's gestures (now called 2-button navigation) and a lot closer to the way others have implemented gestural navigation.

However, I'm running into one particular frustration with the "back" gesture, which is a side swipe from the left or right, when I'm using apps that have a side menu (hamburger menu). I'm so accustomed to swiping in from thge left to bring in the menu but I keep accidentally going back instead because of the gesture.

Maybe it would be more intuitive if the back gesture was a side swipe only on the bottom of the screen (or bottom half).

1 REPLY 1
Enthusiast
Message 2 of 2
Message 2 of 2

Re: Android Q Full Gestural Navigation

Hi,

just installed the beta. Great to have the gesture navigation. 

>>

However, I'm running into one particular frustration with the "back" gesture, which is a side swipe from the left or right, when I'm using apps that have a side menu (hamburger menu). I'm so accustomed to swiping in from thge left to bring in the menu but I keep accidentally going back instead because of the gesture.

<<

same to me!

@Xessive wrote:

What's everyone's opinion on it so far?

The new Full Gestural Navigation is a step further than the Android Pie's gestures (now called 2-button navigation) and a lot closer to the way others have implemented gestural navigation.

Maybe it would be more intuitive if the back gesture was a side swipe only on the bottom of the screen (or bottom half).