account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Welcome to the Open Devices community!

This is where we discuss open source and development related questions on our Open Devices initiative.

Setting for kernel 4.9 build

SOLVED
Highlighted
Adviser
Message 1 of 2
Message 1 of 2

Setting for kernel 4.9 build

Hello,

I bullt an AOSP 8.1 for X Performance F8132 according to the guide provided on the Open Device website, and it comes with kernel v4.4 by default. I tried following the guide on building a 64-bit kernel manually (also provided on the same website), but the source tree is different (for Oreo, kernels are found at ${SOURCE_TREE_ROOT}/kernel/sony rather than ${SOURCE_TREE_ROOT}/device/sony/common-kernel).

On top of that, I couldn't find (explicitly at least) the setting for sony-dora to build with kernel v4.4. I have tried hardcoding 'msm-4.9' instead of 'msm-4.4' in ${SOURCE_TREE_ROOT}/out/build-aosp_f8132.ninja, but it seems that kati tool regenerates to msm-4.4 everytime it spots a change.

So, could you please instruct me where I should edit and what in order to build AOSP 8.1 with kernel v4.9 for X Performance? Smiling Face

Thank you for your time,

With kind regards,

Liev.

p.s. Maybe update the guide for manual build of 64-bit kernel on the Open Device website along.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Adviser
Message 2 of 2
Message 2 of 2

Re: Setting for kernel 4.9 build

Alright, I figured this out myself after a bit of digging.

So, the source tree contains the following directory:

${SOURCE_TREE_ROOT}/device/sony/

with all the supported platforms (the reference can be found here at Kernel Support section). Inside each of the platform there are specific files of the same name PlatformConfig.mk. In that file one needs to edit the line that starts with KERNEL_PATH (in my case the change was from msm-4.4 to msm-4.9). Lastly, after the edit issue the command

LC_ALL=C make -j 6 bootimage

and kernel 4.9 is yours to claim.

Cheers,

Liev.

1 REPLY 1
Adviser
Message 2 of 2
Message 2 of 2

Re: Setting for kernel 4.9 build

Alright, I figured this out myself after a bit of digging.

So, the source tree contains the following directory:

${SOURCE_TREE_ROOT}/device/sony/

with all the supported platforms (the reference can be found here at Kernel Support section). Inside each of the platform there are specific files of the same name PlatformConfig.mk. In that file one needs to edit the line that starts with KERNEL_PATH (in my case the change was from msm-4.4 to msm-4.9). Lastly, after the edit issue the command

LC_ALL=C make -j 6 bootimage

and kernel 4.9 is yours to claim.

Cheers,

Liev.