account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Welcome to the Open Devices community!

This is where we discuss open source and development related questions on our Open Devices initiative.

Is the XZ2 compact supported by the open devices program?

SOLVED
Apprentice
Message 1 of 3
Message 1 of 3

Is the XZ2 compact supported by the open devices program?

Hey there,

<little rant>I bought an xperia XZ2 compact about.. a year ago or so? and instantly unlocked the bootloader with the intention of flashing it as I am accustomed to do with new (portable pocket) computers. My experience with the open devices program on my older Z1 compact and Z5 compact was very good and while the hardware has almost given out, the software on it still rocks.

However with this device my experience has been a little.. less pleasant. Instead of simply unlocking the bootloader, a lot of software seemed to have gotten removed that was required to normally operate the device. The camera is still in its crippled state, with a black preview and video recording outright not working, let alone the amazing 960FPS mode it had, unfortunately I have not been able to experience any of it. On top of that there were no roms and no ways to build a ROM available.

So I was rather enraged at the time, angry that the official website would just instruct a user to cripple their own device and void the warranty at the same time without giving any warning about outright broken hardware and missing features, and have been feverishly waiting for any news on the open device support for the XZ2 compact, but as of yet, even though there's reports that the XZ2 is in the open devices program, I have yet to be able to find my H8314 in the build menu when I pull the latest version from the sony github.</rant>

<actual question>

Is the Xperia XZ2 compact (specifically the H8314) available in the open devices program? Am I doing something wrong with my git clone? do I need to use some specific branch? I've used the official instructions but I am unable to build a ROM. Could someone please help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Developer World
Message 2 of 3
Message 2 of 3

Re: Is the XZ2 compact supported by the open devices program?

Hi,

the XZ2 Compact is supported by the Open Devices program

Regards

Alin

2 REPLIES 2
Developer World
Message 2 of 3
Message 2 of 3

Hi,

the XZ2 Compact is supported by the Open Devices program

Regards

Alin

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 3 of 3
Message 3 of 3

The other day I gave it another attempt because I finally had some time, and lo and behold the device was there! Thanks! I immediately compiled the rom, and found that the camera preview and recording are working again as well, which are very nice to finally have back (even though it did take a while). 

Thanks for supporting opensource, I'm glad to see you guys are still aboard, it is very important for a pletora of reasons, such as end user control and device longevity. I'm happy to see that after 5 generations of owning Xperia devices, opensource is still given the attention it deserves and that improvements and code are shared with the world.

Thank you