account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Welcome to the Open Devices community!

This is where we discuss open source and development related questions on our Open Devices initiative.

AOSP 8.1 f5121 Could not build FEC data

Regular
Message 1 of 3
Message 1 of 3

AOSP 8.1 f5121 Could not build FEC data

Hello, folks;

I am having a trouble to build the system image of AOSP 8.1 r30 for f5121, variant userdebug. It always ends with the following error:

--

Running: fec -e -p 0 out/target/product/suzu/obj/PACKAGING/systemimage_intermediates/system.img /tmp/tmpt2BMV0_verity_images/verity.img /tmp/tmpt2BMV0_verity_images/verity_fec.img

Could not build FEC data! Error:
Out of space? the tree size of out/target/product/suzu/system is (MB):
922 out/target/product/suzu/system
The max is 7480 MB.
ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.
10:28:01 ninja failed with: exit status 1

--

I attempted to add more swap space, decrease Jack server's memory but to no avail. There's enough space everywhere, at least as I can see. I did not have this trouble with the previous updates of 8.1 for the same device. Any idea why this task is failing?

Cheers!

2 REPLIES 2
Inhabitant
Message 2 of 3
Message 2 of 3

Re: AOSP 8.1 f5121 Could not build FEC data

It seems java often zombies.
Kill any java processes (assuming you don't use java for anything else) then resume make. Should work.
You can also try clearing cache:
kill -9 `pidof java`; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches; sync; $your_build_command
or
kill -9 `ps ax|grep java|grep -v grep|awk '{print $1}'`; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches; sync; $your_build_command

Regular
Message 3 of 3
Message 3 of 3

Re: AOSP 8.1 f5121 Could not build FEC data

Thank you vey much, indeed. Eventually, I added the verbose option to fec which showed that it was allocating 7,781,822,464 bytes of memory which was obviously too much even with my swap space  (my laptop has 10G virtual memory in total). I appreciated your help, cheers!