account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Welcome to the Open Devices community!

This is where we discuss open source and development related questions on our Open Devices initiative.

Z1 Compact recovery does not start

Highlighted
Learner
Message 1 of 7
Message 1 of 7

Z1 Compact recovery does not start

Hello,

I have an Z1 Compact and want to download a custom ROM. Therefore I have unlocked the bootloader and flashed with the sony flashtool the provided SW. I really thought with the installation I will also get the recovery system but when I press the Power and Volume-Down switch at startup, there is no android Symbol and the device starts regular after a few seconds.

I have charged the phone up to 80% and enabled the developer mode.

What did I do wrong? How can I get a recovery system?

6 REPLIES 6
Learner
Message 2 of 7
Message 2 of 7

Re: Z1 Compact recovery does not start

btw, the provided SW that the sony flash tool provided was something like:

D5503 14.6A.1.236 Customized NCB 1279-4143 R3R

The flash process was sucessfull and the phone rebooted, but I really cannot see any recovery system.

Thx in advance for your help!

Developer World
Message 3 of 7
Message 3 of 7

Hi,

recovery.img for xperia Z1 Compact can be found on XDA forum and is not provided by the Sony

you have to flash a recovery on your device by using

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

Regards

Alin

Apprentice
Message 4 of 7
Message 4 of 7

Alin

You make it sound so simple.  If I go to 

https://forum.xda-developers.com and copy... 

recovery.img for xperia Z1 Compact

I stumble on an XZDUALRECOVERY page after going off in the wrong direction a few times

still not clear where to go, I click on the 

XZDualRecovery User Manual

link and I see "Download XZ/ZL/TabZ/Z1/ZU-lockeddualrecovery[VERSION]-[RELEASE/BETA].[installer/combined].zip" but it's not a link and I can't see a link on that page. So I use google to search the text above and I manage to find this

http://nut.xperia-files.com/path/XZDualRecovery/XZDualRecovery_2.8.26

which seems to be the zip file for the recovery image?, files?, ROM? for devices with locked bootloaders.  Clicking on 2.8.27 (guessing that is the link to get to the zip files for the unlocked devices, I see nothing but this message:

"Use the Kernel Builder to repack the kernel you are using now to replace the built in recovery with XZDualRecovery. Installing the locked bootloader variant will either not work at all or require unexpected operating instructions."

Great....If you guys read that as "What is 1+1?" then you need to realize that most of us see that as "Do you have several hours to invest in solving a higher level math problem?"  So, can you make this process simple?

I have a Z1Compact with an unlocked bootloader and have the same problem as the OP.  I have a Windows 8.1 pro laptop and have downloaded both:

XperiFirm_4.9.1_(by_Igor_Eisberg) as a zip file, extracted it to find an exe, ran that and got a proxy error....not that that matters, because I also downloaded:

flashtool-0.9.23.1-windows , ran the exe and saw that Xperifirm is integrated.

As a result I was able to find the software that they say works with my device, and downloaded both zip files and ftf files.  NOW WHAT?  I open flashtools and I have no option to point to the entire zip folder or the entire ftf file.

Knowing that I can use Sony's flashtool Emma to reinstall what they say is a recovery, but you here say is not (someone please explain that, as I followed the instructions exactly and could not get into recovery mode as Sony's instructions said I would), I have played around with flashing some of the system and kernel files within the downloaded zip folder and ftf, but nothing works.

So, can you please turn "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" into a paragraph of instructions?

Thanks in advance :-)

Apprentice
Message 5 of 7
Message 5 of 7

...and I will add this, since this is a SONY website.....

If you guys really want to complete with Google and open up your devices so we can make them what we want them to be, then you should consider making more comprehensive instructions with updates that cover the changes out there.  Posting links in your instructions to third parties that change the content of those links is just plain dumb.  Invest the time and do it right.  Give me three developers (Windows, OSx and Linux) and a week and we could turn 

https://developer.sonymobile.com/2015/03/23/forum-for-xperia-open-devices-now-available/

into a page that everyone can follow without the need to come here and constantly ask for help because things do not work as written.

I had a great experience with a carrier unlocked Z1Compact  (not bootloader unlocked) I bought in Switzerland.  It worked everywhere without any issues.  I just popped in whatever SIM was appropriate to the region.  Then I fell on it in the USA, discovered that there was no official SOny repair center to replace the cracked screen, so I ordered TWO third party screens and both had no touch screen functionality, so I bought another new one with unlocked Hutchison firmware and much higher battery drain than my first Z1C, so I decided to go this route to clean up my phone.  Hours later using Sony's ?help?, I no have NO GPS functionality and can't boot into recovery mode to clean the cache as "Google" suggested.

So, are you guys still committed to this project or not?  

Developer World
Message 6 of 7
Message 6 of 7

Hi,

I am sorry to hear that your experience is not ok

we will add the recovery flashing as part of the build guide for Android 7.1 and 8.0

Regarding GSM & GPS I just checked both and they work fine if you add the firmware folder from your software

Regards

Alin

Apprentice
Message 7 of 7
Message 7 of 7

>>Regarding GSM & GPS I just checked both and they work fine if you add the firmware folder from your software<<

Alin,

What does that mean?  What steps are required?