account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Welcome to the Open Devices community!

This is where we discuss open source and development related questions on our Open Devices initiative.

Xperia Z4V

Learner
Message 1 of 8
Message 1 of 8

Xperia Z4V

Hi,

I recently acquired a Verizon Sony Xperia Z4V. i would very much like to experiment with this now discontinued and cancelled platform. I have a valid IMEI and an unlock code.

I have no need for warranty service.

However the Bootloader unlock shows as not allowed.

How can I obtain access to work in AOSP?

Mainly I would need to backup my existing firmaware (or if i can download the stock ftf that would be fine) and pull out files for the CDMA radio and the UHD screen. Other than that it appears to be a Z3+.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,

Rick

BlackIce000

7 REPLIES 7
Emperor
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

Re: Xperia Z4V

@BlackIce000

It's not going to work, even if you unlock the tablet from Verizon, the bootloader can never be unlocked, this was requested by them, the carrier network. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Learner
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

This is NOT a tablet.

It's a cancelled, discontinued cell phone platform. Verizon told me to go to Sony for assistance. They have no issues with allowing me to experiment with it academically.

Rick

BlackIce000

Emperor
Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

@BlackIce000

My bad, Phone not tablet, but the information it's correct, of course Verizon won't tell you the truth they don't want to upset a customer and potentially lose you. 

If a phone/tablet is or was network branded, you won't be able to unlock the bootloader, this will only be possible if you replace the motherboard, and that's the most expensive part of a phone/tablet, it will cost you almost as much as a new device, again, this was requested by your carrier network not imposed by the phone/tablet manufacturer, in this case Sony. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Developer World
Message 5 of 8
Message 5 of 8

Hi,

unfortunately if settings in settings you have "bootloader unlock : NO" there is no way to unlock it

Regards

Alin

Learner
Message 6 of 8
Message 6 of 8

OK. I can deal with that.

So,is there a methodology for a remote or keybad code unlock by VERIZON?

If not, all hope is not lost. If I had the stock FTF for this device, I could pull the CDMA and UHD display device drivers and combine them with others from a Z3+ (or worldwide Z4 PHONE) kernel/other partitions and tinker. I may need some kind of root access to be able to begin this process, yet do not see any existing exploits for this build.

Android version : 5.0.2 / kernel version : 3.10.49-perf-g301bca8-01952-g67d95bb / Platform : 64bits / Build number : 28.0.E.0.570

Anyone have an FTF from when it was on the Dev FTP?

Rick

Emperor
Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

@BlackIce000

There are two ways to get the code, either through Verizon or perhaps to buy it online. 

You can check the XDA forum but it doesn't seemed that you can use xperifirm or flashtool with verizon's Xperias. 

Learner
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

I'd be happy to get the two device drivers as standalones. The github repository for sony dev has everything else (Kitakami) that I would need. Just not the CDMA device driver (But maybe the one from the Z3V could be used) and the UHD screen driver.

If I cannot unlock the bootloader I would definitely need root to experiment.

I wish i could locate the proper folks at Verizon and/or Sony to assist. After all, it's a dead device with ZERO future. I expect no warranty service nor ongoing support.

Rick