account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Welcome to the Open Devices community!

This is where we discuss open source and development related questions on our Open Devices initiative.

Build problems on Android L MR0

Developer World
Message 1 of 14
Message 1 of 14

Build problems on Android L MR0

Hi all

Here you can post your build issues encountered on L_MR0 and 3.4 kernel

Regards

Alin

13 REPLIES 13
Adept
Message 2 of 14
Message 2 of 14

Re: Build problems on Android L MR0

Hello,

Well, it's not a build problem but by using the zip from http://fxpblog.co/aosp/aosp-5-0/ with fastboot on a brand new XPeria M2 (boot, system and userdata) didn't boot the phone (black screen, red flashing ligjht)

What could cause this black screen? (phone had 4.4.4 stock)

Is it also possible by flashing AOSP other components (SIM card reading functionality) also becomes unusable?

- I bought a new phone,

- never tried my SIM card but flashed AOSP immediately

- black screen at boot

- Next I flashed 4.4.2 (flashtool) and then again AOSP: OK!

- but "SIM card not recognised" (tried with 3 different SIM cards)

- After using the Sony tool to put stock ROM back still "SIM card not recognised"

Many thanks for all your work on AOSP and other things.....

Developer World
Message 3 of 14
Message 3 of 14

Hi

Since fxpblog.co is a comunity project we can not suport debuging it

Please build yourself a rom from source and we will help you debug it

br

Alin

Adept
Message 4 of 14
Message 4 of 14

Thanks for the quick and clear answer...

I have started the download of Lollipop 5.1!

Kind regards

Adept
Message 5 of 14
Message 5 of 14

Hello,

OK: I have created a 5.1 ROM.

Flashed boot+system+userdata with fastboot

Result: no boot at all (4.4.4 was present on the phone before flashing). Only a black screen.

Next I installed 4.4.2 with flashboot, and next retried fastboot 5.1 and it booted!

Why is this necessary? This scares me a bit because I had hoped the booting always would work (that the OS is "self-contained" and able to boot), but it seems a part of another ROM is needed to boot successfully. Which one is that (the modem part?).

After the 4.4.2 and 5.1 flashing, I noticed that I couldn't dial somebody, so I installed 5.0.2 with flashboot.

However, even 5.0.2 didn't want to boot (continuous boot logo). After reflashing 4.4.2 and next 5.0.2 again it worked and I now have calls again...

So 2 things:

- flashing often gives booting issues. This is the most interestig for me because it demonstrates the fact a ROM has other dependencies that I'm stll unaware of... (and I really do not wish to brick my phone)

- no phone in 5.1

Many thanks for all the work!

Highlighted
Developer World
Message 6 of 14
Message 6 of 14

Hi

firmware is flashed on phone when you flash sony image

the case you describe is normal i will test both 4.4.2 and 4.4.4 to check compatibility

Thanks

Alin

Adept
Message 7 of 14
Message 7 of 14

Hello,

Wow: quick answer! Thanks for that.... I also tried the XDA forum but there's little answer there :-(

I thought the Sony firmware (ftf file at the moment) just contains other partitions as well (modem etc). Do you mean with "firmware" one of those partitions or is it something completely else?

And if so, which one causes the "non-boot if 4.4.4 is present"?

I presumed the kernel (boot.img) contained the kernel and drivers to make basic booting possible, and other partitions (like modem) are there to make other things work (like cellular data).

If I need to retry all these questions on XDA, feel free to let me now!

Many thanks!

Developer World
Message 8 of 14
Message 8 of 14

If you flash ftf you have those partitions flashed

nothing else is needed

Br

Alin

Adept
Message 9 of 14
Message 9 of 14

Hello,

Then why is flashing 4.4.2 necessary before trying to run AOSP?

There must be a reason why I'm getting a black screen if I do not flash 4.4.2 first.

Kind regards

Developer World
Message 10 of 14
Message 10 of 14

Hi

There are several partition on a device.

When you flash AOSP you flash only boot,system,userdata partitions, leaving the other ones as they are.

On some devices firmare is located in /etc/firmware, on some devices it can be found on a separate partiton that is flashed during update process

To be able to boot you have to have firmware and  kernel in sync or firmware can not be loaded.

Br

Alin