account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Removal of mapping features from Album

Enthusiast
Message 1 of 16
Message 1 of 16

Removal of mapping features from Album

So Sony has chosen to remove map view and geotag editing from Album...

These features are critical for MOBILE phone users that treat their phone as a high quality camera... and isn't that one of the selling point features of a Sony phone?

Whatever product manager approved these changes, please give me their job.  

And please consider restoring these features.

15 REPLIES 15
Emperor
Message 2 of 16
Message 2 of 16

Re: Removal of mapping features from Album

@jetdog9 

I was about to suggest to open a picture > menu > location but it is not there anymore, I'll escalate this 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 16
Message 3 of 16

It's probably for licensing or GDPR reasons, but Sony needs to figure it out.

Highlighted
Regular
Message 4 of 16
Message 4 of 16

Please bring back the mapping / location feature!! This is extremely useful to find a photo by place.

Emperor
Message 5 of 16
Message 5 of 16

@snidfah 

I totally agree with you, I really like this feature 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

One time poster
Message 6 of 16
Message 6 of 16

I just received this update and am absolutely disappointed by this. The maps feature is an essential tool of the Album app. I have used it many times to quickly find an image when I know exactly where it was taken, but not when. It's also cool to see an overview of your places. I don't see how this could be GDPR relared, maybe some dependency task?

For me, the album app is one of the most important features of the phone and crucial part of my buying decision. It's also very good - so good that even iPhone users admire it. Please leave it like this. 

Adviser
Message 7 of 16
Message 7 of 16

I am dearly missing this feature as well.

Since the the Sony Album cannot display 360 images, the awesome Places function was the main reason for me to use the Album App.

Now it is just useless dead weight on my phone.

Please bring back the Places/Map function.

Please explain what the problem was.

Please consider supporting viewing 360 photos.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 8 of 16
Message 8 of 16

Hi @jetdog9, Let me see if I can help out here.

The view Places has been removed in Album app version 9.6 for devices on Android 9 (Pie). The change means that the view Places is removed from the menu, you can no longer select Show on map when viewing a photo and you can no longer add or edit a geotag. 

I am sorry for any inconvenience this might cause.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Adviser
Message 9 of 16
Message 9 of 16

In fact, I was just about to show off to a Samsung user, how easy it was for me to find photos of a place we were discussing, when this embarrassing message "function has been removed"  greeted us.

Adviser
Message 10 of 16
Message 10 of 16

So any tipps on how to downgrade the Sony Album App?

Or any explanation on why Pie necessitated this?

N.B.: went to System App and uninstalled the updates for Sony Album, which downgrades to 9.4. Disabled Auto Updates for the App in Play Store. After that, the Places function is back. One can even manually upgrade to 9.5. at ones own risk.