account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I completely/ permanently delete a Photo?

Apprentice
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

How do I completely/ permanently delete a Photo?

[I know this topic/ problem has come up before, but it has not been totally resolved]

When I delete a Photo from Gallery, it is removed and I can no longer see or access it.

Also it then does not appear in the Album App. Note: in the Album, there are no “Thumbnail” Folders.

However, if I turn the phone off and then restart it, the Photo reappears in both Gallery and Album.

Question: How do I completely/ permanently delete a Photo on my phone so it does not reappear when I restart my phone please?

On the Sony Forum, alexdon & uliwooly always advise either of the following:

Settings > apps > all > album > clear data > restart your phone

Settings > apps > all > media storage > force stop>clear data > restart your phone

Surely this is just a manual "tidy-up" fix (won’t the problem just repeat itself after new photos are taken?) – I am looking for a permanent solution.

Thank you for your help.

Sony Xperia Z1 Compact.

Windows 8.1

5 REPLIES
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Re: How do I completely/ permanently delete a Photo?

Have you tried the old fashioned way of deleting using file commander?

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Emperor
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

You could connect your phone to a computer > check multiple folders

Computer > Xperia > Internal Storage/SD card > DCIM, also check other folders such as whatsapp or any other folders where you think might be stored

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Apprentice
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

Thank you both for your suggestions, but they are workarounds. I am trying to minimise all the manual work I have to do when a deleted photo should just stay deleted.

I wrote to Sony who advise:

"

The problems you are describing are caused by a small fault in your software. To fix this you will have to use a process we call software repair. ....

PC Companion: In the now opening window click on "repair phone/tablet" (in blue writing) and follow the instructions. Afterwards your problem will be solved and should not happen again.

"

- it seems they know the bug is there. Guess I'll have to try it?

Emperor
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

PC Companion (PCC)

Bridge (for Mac)

Alternatives on How to backup Xperias

http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/36355

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

If you manually delete those photos from your phone like that , they will still can be restored back with some recovery apps .to completely/permanently delete photos , what you should do as i do : https://www.tunesbro.com/delete-photos-samsung-galaxy-permanently.html