account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Album not displaying images correctly, and unable to view photos.

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 1 of 4
Message 1 of 4

Album not displaying images correctly, and unable to view photos.

The thumbnails for any picture taken in the last 2 days is now a black box.  I can't access the affected pictures via album, instagram, messaging, or through the xperia companion app.  If I browse via companion, it shows images of varying sizes, but no thumbnail, and when I try to open them (with paint, acdsee, or windows photo viewer) it says they are not a recognized file type (but they are labelled .jpg)

I have tried clearing the cache in media storage and restarting, clearing the cache in album and restarting.  I have unmounted the sd card and accessed it via a reader.  Everything older than 2 days is fine, everything since then is corrupt.  If I take a pic, it displays in the little corner window, and lets me open it but if I try to send it via any app (messanger, facebook etc) it says "could not add item"  When i close the camera and try and access the same picture via album it is a black box, and gone.

I reinstalled Album - didn't work

I did a software repair, and just finished re-installing everything, and the problem is still there. 

I bought this phone because of the camera, and now I can't access the pictures I take - kind of frustrating

I really am concerned about this as my previous phone (z3) worked great until the last android update and then the home / return stopped working on the touch screen, followed by the camer button stopping and a myriad of other problems.  Sony was nice enough to basically say all the issues had nothing to do with the software update.

Anyway - does anyone have any suggestions?  I'd really like my pictures back, I'd at least like to be able to take new ones.

3 REPLIES 3
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 4
Message 2 of 4

Re: Album not displaying images correctly, and unable to view photos.

did you modify your software in anyway? (rooting or flashing etc) afaik, the album app cannot be reinstalled.

did you check your sd card for any problems? how about switch to internal storage?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Learn to take care and troubleshoot your Device here:
Xperia Support by Sony: https://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/
Rookie
Message 3 of 4
Message 3 of 4

No Rooting, No mods.  The phones only about 4 months old. The Album app was reinstalled but still wouldn't access those specific pics.

The SD card doesn't appear to be the issue as any pics I've taken today, and late yesterday (since the software repair) save to the SD card, and are working fine.  I assume the software repair fixed the cause of the problem, however I still can't access the black box pictures.  They are all varying sizes, so I assume the data within is the individual pictures.  I have tried a couple of recovery programs, however they only bring back deleted pics, and not the affected ones. 

It wouldn't really be an issue, however it is about 100 affected files, some of which are a 5 year olds ballet recital, so you can imagine the heat I'm getting for not being able to print them.

Rookie
Message 4 of 4
Message 4 of 4

So no ideas anyone???