Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

WiFi connectivity, Xperia Ray post-2.3.4 update

Hi,

I recently updated to 2.3.4 and since then I have had trouble connecting to my network at home, it says scanning then disconnected, scanning then disconnected, and repeats indefinitely. I am trying to connect it to a connectify network (that it has connected to in the past, but not since updating to 2.3.4). I can still connect to other open networks, and an eduroam network (PEAP and MASCHP password situation... or something). I can occasionally connect to my network, but when it manages this it always his limited connectivity. It says connecting, then obtaining IP address, which it will pause on for a long time, before then saying connected with limited connectivity, which we all know is p.c talk for "No Internet."

Using a static IP means I can connect to it fully, but no internet actualy works on the phone, it all just loads as if it has internet and carries on loading until I exit. Connectify uses a WPA2-PSK password, and cannot be used without one, but without connectify I would have no wireless access on my phone.

Please note this is only since I updated to 2.3.4, I managed to connect to the connectify network fine before, and can still connect to other networks (have only tried an open and an eduroam outside of my connectify network so far, but both connected flawlessly).

Any ideas? =)

Sony Xperia Support
Sam

Re: WiFi connectivity, Xperia Ray post-2.3.4 update

Hi bazz725, I have included below a couple of possible resolutions I have given to others regarding this:

"I have had this issue myself and it is apparently to do with the configuration of my router. What I have done that has resolved my issue is download an application called Wifistatic from the market. Once you have this disconnect and reconnect power to the router then connect to the router with the phone. Once you have established connection open Wifistatic and hit "Add Configuration" you should get a pop up just hit ok. Once this is done you should be fine."

"There is another application worth trying but do so at your own risk. The large majority of feedback has been very positive but it does not resolve this for all: FXR WiFi Fix and Rescue."

Anonymous(anon)

Hey Sam,

The FXR WiFi Fix and Rescue claimed to have fixed the problem, but the phone still takes a long time to obtain the IP address, and also still ends up as having Limited Connectivity. I'm not entirely positive its not something to do with Connectify and the network I'm running on, but at least with the FXR assuming everything is fine I can guess that the phone is probably not to blame (I'd just seen the same thing around a few times and assumed it could be).

Thanks very much for the quick response and help.

Sony Xperia Support
Sam

No problem and yes it does unfortunately appear to be something specific to the network, wish I could help further. :smileysad:

One time poster
MikeAustin

Hi,

I just got my Experia Ray today - my first Android phone - and this is my first post here. While looking for the 2.3.4 upgrade, I saw your question. Something to check on some routers and PCs is that their dates are synchronised. I got this switch-on/switch-off problem on someone else's home network.One seemed to have a fixed date. As long as the dates are close enough, the connection holds.

Anonymous(anon)

Sorry to be a bit dim but I'm having almost the same problem except instead of scanning then disconnected repeating indefinitely mine just repeats 3 times then the phone turns itself off!

When you say "disconnect and reconnect power to the router then connect to the router with the phone. " do you mean "connect to the router with the phone using a piece of wire" ? Otherwise the solution appears to involve the problem in a deadly embrace! (And would that I had such a piece of wire - don't suppose wet string will work will it?) :smileyconfused:

One time poster
MikeAustin

I also had this problem at the weekend - and it was not the out-of-sync date problem that I mentioned last week. I just had to restart/reboot the router. You can do that through your browser (usually logging in on 192.168.1.1) - or simply pull the plug for a few seconds.

Sony Xperia Support
Sam

I don’t mean to physically connect it, simply connect via the Wi-Fi settings section of the phone as normal.

Anonymous(anon)

Didn't work, perhaps unsurprisingly as I couldn't really use the word 'connect' and the phrase 'as normal' in the same sentence! Fortunately Mike's suggestion of resetting the router while attempting to connect did work. Thanks Mike.

Anonymous(anon)

I have a problem with my WIFI on my phone. My wifi cannot detect my house WIFI, but my neighbour's WIFI can be detect. My other phone can detect my home WIFI. Is it the phone problem or my House WIFI problem?