Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

One time poster
51cem

Upcoming Release of ICS - Possible downgrade?

With all the different information floating around about how ICS may make the 2011 Xperia family of phones seem sluggish etc I was wondering if Sony will have the option for people who do the ICS update to be able to Downgrade back to Gingerbread if they aren't happy with the ICS experience.

Ive read the ICS update will be only via PC Companion etc and not available OTA.

Anyone have any thoughts or theory's on this?

I don't want to have to manually stuff about to downgrade back to Gingerbread is the ICS experience is terrible etc.

Nabeel

Re: Upcoming Release of ICS - Possible downgrade?

once you upgrade to ICS, and after that you wish to roll back to GB then you won't be able to do it yourself but you will have to take it to the service center :smileyhappy:

the update is heavy to be pushed to all the devices through Air thats why developers might have decided to send it Through PC only ,,, ( i think this way ( don't know the exact reason though) )

Need any help related to moderation? message me or any other moderator.

One time poster
51cem

Thanks Nabeel.

Hopefully Sony will actually make GB an option to select via PC to downgrade rather than taking the phone to a service center.

If they release an update that brings the hardware to its knees then i'd really like to be able to roll it back easy.

I've read somewhere where they've said users will need to think carefully about upgrading to ICS due to these potential issues.

Nabeel

hmm
i was quite unhappy after reading that Article about the ICS,,, kind of demotivation to all

And you are absolutely right about that option of Downgrading to GB >>

it would be very difficult for the people to have it done at the service center again. Very inconvenient .

Due to this reason i rooted my mobile and now enjoying the GB to the core
i have installed all the modifications of xperia s, ( media player , themes , icons etc etc, ) and also removed the bloatware.( my device feels like a dual core) i have ARC S

Need any help related to moderation? message me or any other moderator.

Anonymous(anon)

Hi ....YES you can downgrade by using www.wotanserver.com/en and if your phone is branded (ie orange splash screen and bloatware) it will also fully remove this , the cost of using this sevice is FREE :smileyhappy:, it works 100% as ive used it (mainly to debrand) on ALL of my sony ericsson phones which include 2 of my Rays and they have all been trouble free and a lot faster afterwards....enjoy and be worry free

Anonymous(anon)

Sorry but i forgot to mention that you DO NOT need to root your phone when you use www.wotanserver.com/en as when you download the software its just a basic plug in and run program, very simular to sony ericssons own update s/w

One time poster
51cem

@Luke8888

That's great info.   I'll definately be having a look into this.  Just read on GSMArena that Sony has started seeding ICS to some countries in the northern hemisphere.  I'll looking forward to hearing some peoples experience with ICS on the Ray. 

Cheers

Apprentice
MarkMRL

Today I tried again, after formatting the memory card, with a cool head, but nothing changed as there was never anything wrong in the first place.

All the other problems persisted, so there is nothing wrong with my phone, card or anything. It's this update which is half assed. Sorry to be so blunt, but it simply doesn't work as well as Gingerbread in any way. Mr 51Cem, thanks for your help, but I can't believe you don't have any problems with it. You probably don't notice them or you never optimized Gingerbread, as it's much smoother than ICS on everything.

But now I've decided, I'm back on Gingerbread. ICS is just too slow and choppy. And I also noticed that the phone is pretty much unable to record HD video at a decent framerate in ICS, the recorded video runs at about 20FPS and it stutters too.

That being said, I wonder if there will be updates for Gingerbread, to bring it to 2.3.7 like on the Xperia S. If anyone from the staff wants to answer me, I'd appreciate it. I'd also like to know if they are aware of the problems with the current ICS rom (slow animations in home, stuttering in games and in video recording, etc) and if they are already working to improve it.

As it stands right now, ICS makes my Ray a chore to use. I'm so disappointed by this, as I was fervently waiting to be able to experience the improvements ICS brings, but they are not worth having my phone slow as crap all the time.

Enthusiast
Bionder

Im confident that they will solve some issues with ICS in future updates. Like in Nexus S google solve some laggy transitions between menus in this last update, 4.0.4. If not it would be cool that they can update GB, for those people who don't want to update to ICS.

Anonymous(anon)

Hi

If you having problems with your previous ICS or you want it now (like i did :smileyhappy: in the UK or other countrys thats awaiting for it to be released), try reflashing/flash ICS  but do it with www.wotanserver.com/en  firmware version 4.1.A.0.562  (Generic Trade Nordic (4.0.3)  Languages: Bahasa-Indonesia, Bahasa-Melayu, Czech, Danish, German, Eng...) .....  Ive done this this morning and it works 110%, its much better than GB and personally i find it faster compared to my wifes Xperia Ray thats still on GB 2.3.4 .... Ive also got some bad news, ive now noticed that to flash your phone using Wotanserver itll cost 1.99 EUROS (£1.70 ) as its now ino longer free :smileysad: (this changed only 30mins ago when i went to reflash my wifes phone, as the site was down due to updating and came alive again a minute before i wrote this)

Ive also noticed that the camera is much quicker along with other issues have been improved that GB suffered with.

Anyway give it a go, i think that you will enjoy it over GB