Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

Tether not working.

I can't able to share my internet from mobile to PC using Tether. When I trying to do, in my device manager it shows a yellow question mark over the SE RNDIS internet sharing service.I'm using XP SP2 and the drivers downloaded from SE developers site .

Any soln?

Oracle
suze

Re: Tether not working.

Some carriers block this function, could this be the issue with you?

It may be worth trying a tethering app from the Android Market/Play Store to see if that will bypass the need.  I have used PDANet but EasyTehther is also very good.

Anonymous(anon)

But the device manager shows driver not installed properly.

Forum Legend
uliwooly

are you using a USB tethering or wireless tethering? as suze said, some networks disable this function so the can sell you an extra data plan and/or app

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Anonymous(anon)

USB tethering.

Forum Legend
uliwooly

is your phone branded to a network ?

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Forum Legend
uliwooly

I got it

http://support.google.com/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=182134

Windows XP contains the drivers you need to take advantage of USB tethering, but you must install a configuration file before connecting your phone to your Windows XP computer, to instruct Windows XP how to configure itself to use those drivers.

1. Download the following configuration file (tetherxp.inf) to your Windows XP computer. Typically, you can right click on the link and choose "Save As". (If your browser appends .html to the file name, you will need to edit the name to remove the .html extension.)
  2. Use the USB cable that came with your phone to connect your phone to your computer.
  3. On the Android phone, press Home, press Menu, and touch Settings to open the Settings application.
  4. Touch Wireless & networks > Tethering & portable hotspot.
  5. Check USB tethering.
  6. When Windows XP’s New Hardware Wizard opens, select No, not at this time and click Next.
  7. Select Install from a list or specific location and click Next.
  8. Click Browse to browse to the directory where you installed the configuration file you downloaded in Step 1 and click Next. Windows XP uses the configuration file to configure itself to support USB tethering with the Android phone.
  9. When Windows XP finishes installing the software for Android USB Ethernet/RNDIS, click Finish.

You can now use the new Windows XP local area network connection provided by your phone via USB tethering. For more information about configuring networks in Windows XP, see the documentation that comes with Windows.

Anonymous(anon)

I tried but it's not working. still the pblm exists. device manager shows not installed properly.

it shows "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

Forum Legend
uliwooly

that's odd, try on safemode (restart then press F8)

Trustee
Markus

Do you have PC Companion installed? You get the drivers needed with this program.