Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

Re: Random Resets of Xperia Ray

@Som0ne: when you have to reenter your pin code, this is most likely because your phone has restarted.

I don't have any anti virus or no task killer installed. Pretty much the only non-standard program I have installed is Pointsharp which generates one-time passwords for secure login. This app was installed by my corporate IT and seem to work on all other Android phones we use (mostly HTC and Samsung). There are a bunch of preinstalled  Sony Ericsson and other apps (e.g. facebook, Google stuff etc) that can't be uninstalled.

Some days are good with no restarts. Other days the phone restarts multiple times, every time I take up the phone and check it, I have to enter the SIM pin code again. Sometimes I actually see the display go black and the Sony Ericsson logo come up after a while. Caught in the act... This can happen while the phone lies unused on my desk.

I am waiting for Ice Cream Sandwhich to be ported to the Ray, it is rumoured to happen during the spring. Or I will put cyanogenmod there, I have it on my Nook Color tablet, works great with a couple of snags (the browser sometimes hangs and the status bar  program dies and does not always restart).

Anonymous(anon)

My phone did not reboot for more than 1 week now.

I have done nothing to solve the problem.

Anonymous(anon)

Ok so McAfee ruled out.

Only other thing I can think of is that there is a common App on the handset (pre installed or not) that causes the crash.

And somewhere along the line we've upgraded to a newer version which has solved the problem?

Anonymous(anon)

If an app can crash the system, then the kernel is buggy.

What kinds of hooks into the kernel may antivirus programs use? Do they install their own kernel modules?

Is it only the Ray that has these problems? Don't other (Sony Ericsson) phones use the same Android and Linux kernel versions? Possibly different phones have different device drivers so problems only affect a specific phones or a small set of phones that share a buggy driver.

One time poster
brapi

can anyone clarify that Mcafee really causes the reboots? im planning to buy the ray soon and im scared to buy a crappy phone that always restarts.. what are the other apps that cannot be uninstalled also?

Anonymous(anon)

NO.

MCAFEE is not a common factor. (qbix didnt have it on his phone)

TASK KILLER is not a common factor. (I am still running this and a getting 0 crashes)

both Gregory13 and I have had less (no) reboots with nothing other than what appears to be normal use of the phone.

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

both are partially correct, there seems to be KITS/versions of the firmware that have issues with those apps, and some don't that could be the problem. to check your kit go to

Service Menu

http://talk.sonyericsson.com/thread/24534

once there

service info -> software info -> Phone software version

xxxx-xxxx (copy this) or even better take a screenshot and share it here (all of you )

One time poster
brapi

how can these kits be modified in order to make the phone running efficiently without reboots? neo V and Live with walkman has the same reboot problems.. :smileysad:

Anonymous(anon)

Hey I was also experincing the same problem of random restart. even after several upgrades the status was same. I removed wats apps and many such application just to check which of them are causing the problem. Finally i gave the handset to the sony service center and they changed the Board. now my phone is working absolutly fine with every appllication running...."touch wood"...

Anonymous(anon)

Hardware problems can cause SW crashes (or something that looks like it). In the embedded world, I have had problems with boards with poor power supplies that couldn't provide the power and voltage required. When the system sucked more power (being busy), the voltage dropped and this caused processor and chip resets. Something similar could happen here. Enabling WiFi will consume more power and WiFi has been correlated with restarts. But I have also had many restarts when the phone was idle (at least from my point of view, perhaps there ws background activity going on).

Back from holidays, I will return my phone to the store and have it serviced or replaced, whatever they will do.