Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Rookie
ply17410

More on poor camera performance

I got my Sony Ericsson C905a out and took a picture with it vs. my Xperia Ray, same subject, same 'auto' settings, both have 8mp cameras.   It was a bowl of fruit sitting on my kitchen counter.

Look at the file properties!  What the heck is going on.  Viewing the pictures on my computer screen the grain/fuziness that is present in the Ray photo is very noticeable.  You would think with the eXmor sensor on the Ray that it would not have to use such a high ISO value.  That's crazy!  (click image for better view)

File Properties.png

I'm going back to using a 'real' camera for photos that matter.

Bob H

Minneapolis, MN

Forum Legend
uliwooly

Re: More on poor camera performance

try with manual settings and compare them, but yeah there is a HUGE issue, over compress pictures.

And bad news, it doesn't get any better with the 2012 Xperias

the problem remain

Even engadget share more or less my view on the new Xperias

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/08/sony-xperia-s-review/

"Could the Xperia S be your first Sony-branded phone? It you're all about media consumption, and if you're prepared to wait while Sony makes its cloud-based platforms more coherent, then the Xperia S is a great device. The display and the speaker are absorbing and addictive. The battery life is excellent, the processor is a good fit and the absence of expandable storage shouldn't weigh too heavily if you get the 32GB option.

On the other hand, if you make more varied demands of your smartphone -- like excellent build quality, pocket-friendly slimness or photos you can enlarge -- then things get more complicated. US pricing has yet to be announced, but the 32GB version of the Xperia S is going for upwards of £430 ($680) SIM-free in the UK, or £370 pay-as-you-go on the Three network. Similar money could fetch you a legendary all-rounder like the Galaxy S II, or stretch to a 16GB Galaxy Nexus with an HD screen and better build quality, or -- very soon -- an HTC One S, which promises a cutting-edge Qualcomm S4 processor and abetter camera. When sized up against a long rubric of criteria, rather than just its entertainment credentials, there's little to make the Xperia S a compelling purchase."

"Previous Xperias, such as the Neo, suffered from excessive image compression, and that's still unfortunately an issue with the Xperia S. There's no option to change the JPEG settings to create bigger, prettier files comparable to what you'd get on theGalaxy S II or iPhone 4. The default compression has improved considerably since the Neo, with 12-megapixel stills averaging a file size of 3MB, but that's still not enough."

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Forum Legend
uliwooly

https://plus.google.com/117586446271921149656/posts/jgJgbxSyLEX

Sony Xperia's profile photo

Sony Xperia  -  +Alexandre Bote Tronchoni Thanks for the comment and the compression of images is something we are in discussion in our development teams but today do not have a more firm answer. - Nik

Still not good enough, we need solutions

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Master
slimshaddy

wtf :smileyangry:

Master
slimshaddy

so more ISO value deteriorates  the picture quality..??

Forum Legend
uliwooly

yeah still the same issues 2010, 2011, and 2012, is sony trying to leave the smartphone market?

Forum Legend
uliwooly

the higher the ISO the more noise in the picture, so I'm starting to wonder if that whole back lit sensor is nothing more than just a really high ISO and not so much a miracle sensor and if they don't compress the pictures we'll see how bad they are, like I'd said before, my pictures shown on a 32+in screen show a lot of noise even with smaller screens

Demigod
Veresova

With the new Xperia S has poor compression photos

Master
slimshaddy

don't know bout leaving , but surely they dont want to be on the top....

Master
slimshaddy

and so whats with all the settings with the iso..??

i just read this...

Higher ISO settings are generally used in darker situations to get faster shutter speeds (for example an indoor sports event when you want to freeze the action in lower light) – however the cost is noisier shots.

Read more: http://www.digital-photography-school.com/iso-settings#ixzz1obvqrMlo