Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

Help! I can't connect my Ray to my PC in MTP

Hi

I got my Ray a week ago and love it but I'm having trouble connecting it to my PC. I have downloaded PC Companion but when I connect my phone in MTP mode nothing happens. If I change the connection setting to MSC then it does recognise it but I can't update the phone.

If I connect in MSC and then follow the steps suggested when you choose update, this is what happens: I choose update and it tells me to follow these instructions:

Drag down status bar -  I do that

Choose Disconnect phone - I do that

Choose MTP - I do that

It then takes a while and tells me that the setting I have chosen is not the correct one for the update.

Please help, I find this sort of thing the most annoying out of all of life's irritations. I was in a brilliant mood this morning, full of festive cheer but now I feel like breaking something. I've been trying now for an hour and a half. Why must it be so hard!

Edit:

Also, in case this helps, when I originally connected the phone up my device manager didn't work properly and said that there was an error installing the hardware and access was denied. I had to install the PC Companion manually myself.

(Also, is no one on here? It's saturday afternoon and I posted this an hour ago and no one wants to help me. Looks like Sony aren't really fussed once you've paid for their product.)

One time poster
WinterStars

Re: Help! I can't connect my Ray to my PC in MTP

Please use Sony Ericsson Update Service (SEUS) to update the phone. It always succeeds unlike the PC companion.

One time poster
WinterStars

Are you having administrator rights on your PC?

Anonymous(anon)

Yes, I have administrator rights, thanks.

Will I be able to use SEUS if my PC doesn't recognise my phone?

I'd really like to be able to use this phone properly so any help to get MTP working would be great.

:smileyhappy:

One time poster
WinterStars

Anonymous(anon)

OK thanks but will that recognize my phone though? Also I want to be able to use PC companion properly. Is there something I can do to fix this MTP problem?

Anonymous(anon)

Try this before you repair your software (seen this tip on another forum):

Go to Settings->Applications->All Applications, find MTP application then clear its data.

Reconnect phone to computer and check if it works. (wait for a longer while)

One time poster
WinterStars

For updating use SEUS.

MTP is useful if you need to connect the phone with Media Go or something.

MSC is also used for connecting the phone with Media Go but you can also access the filesystem.

Update via SEUS and lets see ... First try the suggestion from Thethirdone and check if it helps and then proceed to update. There might be an update for your ray anyway.

Anonymous(anon)

OK so I tried theidone's suggestion and it didn't work so I tried to update using seus and it crashed my computer! It got to the bit where I had to hold down the volume down button on my phone and plug it in and I just got an endless egg timer and nothing else would work at all! Had to reset in the end. I tried it twice and it happened both times.

This is a nightmare! Somebody please tell me what is going on.

Forum Legend
uliwooly

it's probably your firewall and/or antivirus

restart your computer and press F8 (to restart on safemode) once on safemode run Update Service and try again

Don't forget to mark the Correct & Helpful Answers

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)