Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)
Accepted Solution

xperia pro starts up with blank screen

I've an xperia pro that frequently goes to having a blank screen. Not sure what causes this to happen, but it's been doing it on and off quite frequently over the past couple of weeks. Pushing the home or power buttons will cause the backlight to light up (with a blank screen) and the little light to go on by the home button). If somebody or texts, it rings or vibrates, but the screen remains blank. Trying to answer by swiping my finger at the bottom left to right does not pick up the call. Opening or closing the keyboard does not help.

Trying to :

- remove battery, reinsert after a few mins and restart, sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Works more reliably if the phone has been off for longer (often has to be long enough so it forgets the time).

- full reset using the Sony PC software to go back to factory settings reduced the frequency for a bit, but now it's back at it. Does it at least once a day.

- starting up without any SIM card in it doesn't help

Phone has had no special modifications to it as it was purchased unlockd.

It appears to do this more after intensive use, i.e. downloading podcasts and/or long telephone conversation.

I understand that Sony warranties only work in your home country, and I won't be there for at least a few months. Part of the reason I got this model is that it can do 3G at home (US) and in much of Europe. That seems to have gone out the window now. Sending it back to the USA would not solve my problem because I'll be without a phone until I get back. Presently in UK and am here for a project.

It's a US version MK16A running on the O2 network in the UK, purchased unlocked in December. Ran fine for three months in England and Egypt, and started acting up only recently.

Anyone have any ideas on what to do ?

Sony Xperia Support
Jake-SonyXperiaSupport

Re: xperia pro starts up with blank screen

I would suggest two solutions in this situation, first I would format the memory card using the a PC or using the handset.

Menu > Settings > Storage > Unmount > Erase SD card ( if you are able to use the handset)

The second suggestion would be to use the Update Service to update the handsets softwar.

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/tools/update-service/

(Note: this is different from PC Companion).

sony_logo126x24.gif

Anonymous(anon)

hi, i'm also experiencing this blank screen problem. i bought my xperia pro exactly a week and a day ago today and now the screen has gone blank and still hasnt come back up even right now since yesterday morning even though it shows the backlight for the keyboard and the hardware keys. it is driving me crazy, i have a lot of mails i need to respond to on the go and now i cant do that. kindly come up with a solution to this sooner rather than later. Also im trying to locate your local shop in Nigeria, the closest ive come is an ericsson shop, can i go to them to enforce my warranty or do i have to locate a sony shop. please respond as soon as possible. i need this resolved fast, thanks

Forum Legend
uliwooly

did you tried the suggestion above? (SUS)

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Anonymous(anon)

I reformated the memory card both on my PC and erased everything on the phone.

I then also did the SUS wipe of the phone.

That didn't work.

So I tried it again, using the SUS to reset the phone, did not put the memory card back into the phone, and let it sit on my table for a couple of days to see if it would do it again. Just to be sure it wouldn't update anything, I didn't log into google account or anything like that.

Sadly, it still does the blank screen. I take it i'm not the only one. I've bought some Sony products in the past that were very durable and long lasting. This one seems to have developed a fault less than three months.

Forum Legend
uliwooly

you probably got a faulty unit, it happens, send it to Sony's repair center

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Sony Xperia Support
Jake-SonyXperiaSupport

I agree with Uliwooly, please use the link below to find the correct contact details for Sony Xperia Support within your region,

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/support/contact-us/

sony_logo126x24.gif

Anonymous(anon)

Hi, I have purchased the phone today itself and am facing this same issue. Is this kind of manufacturing issue in this model?

Please do let me know if this is fixable.

Anonymous(anon)

hi, I'd this problem, called Sony's technical support, sent the unit back to them, and they replaced the screen, after which this problem was fixed. I think this is therefore not a "fix it yourself" kind of problem.

Anonymous(anon)

Thanks, I think thats the best solution, will see the service station on monday the first thing.

Just unhappy that My phone didnt work even for 2 hours after purchase, and I need to see the service station :smileysad: