Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

One time poster
Leona23

Xperia Pro Wifi Issues

I have noticed something odd with the wifi on my phone and wondered if anyone else had this.

The phone will sometimes not connect to my home wifi router, it see's it, it shows up the in the list, but if I long press and select connect, it just says Scanning.... disconnected, and refuses to connect to it.

Yet other times it will connect automatically just fine.

I have checked for other wifi signals and there are other 'neighbouring' routers around, but they are all on lower channels like 1,2 and I have set my router as far away as possible to them on 11.  My Wii, PS3, HP Printer and Android tablet, have no trouble at all with my router and connect fine, but the phone will not.

I have tried restarting the router, that sometimes solves it, but then in the morning, we are back to not connecting again, I've tried deleting the wifi settings from the phone and putting them in again and password, that doesn't work either.

Why is this? how can I solve it?  I don't want to keep running up Data costs because the phone will not connect to my home wifi.

One time poster
Leona23

Re: Xperia Pro Wifi Issues

Doesn't anyone have any suggestions ?

Happened again this morning, tablet connected fine, phone didn't want to know.

Selected 'forget network' which it did, found it, asked for password, inserted, then it did nothing.

Come on, what is going on?

slimshaddy

i dont know thats why i dint reply.. :smileyplain:

One time poster
Leona23

Fair enough Slim, at least I know someone read it! :smileywink:

Sony Xperia Support
Sony Xperia Support
Sam

What I would advise doing is first running an update of the routers firmware. If this does not work then restart the router, connect the phone and log onto the Market. Once there download both Wifistatic and Blade Wifi as these two can often resolve this type of problem.

Inhabitant
paul4os

Leona, I get similar problems (not sure if the exact same) where my wi-fi will work all day and then at times drop-out. This is all complete speculation on my part and no idea if it is inded the case, but I think this variance could be due to other family members using your network at the same time, or your neighbours using theirs and interfering. I think different devices in your house using your router may change the shape of the beam from your wireless router and make the signal weaker. Other environmental/atmospheric factors may also affect it.

I do not have these problems with my laptop in the same place. Again more baseless speculation, but I reckon that the Pro (and I've noticed similar with other smartphones) may be less able to deal with a weak signal because its antenna may be less efficient than the one in my laptop (laptop has more room inside to accomodate antenna, and antenna can sit away from your body). Perhaps it could also be a wi-fi firmware issue, but whatever it is, it's something that SE really need to make better now (crossing my fingers in hope), or in the future.

slimshaddy

I have xperia arc..with the .42 firmware update my wifi connection drops at times..most of the users are facing this issue so it The firmware issue and nothing else..

slimshaddy

Leon's problem is different then ours so coudnt help her..

One time poster
Leona23

Well from reading this forum it seems others with Neo V's have this issue too and a quick google around suggests its a common Android issue. (the Android forum is full of similar problems) so I wonder if its a common failure of the OS?

I am trying 'Wi-Fi fixer' from the Market at the moment to see if it can help, if nothing else it logs what is going on so that I can send it to the developer to work out what is up.

Thank you Sam for your suggestions, I will have a look to see if there is an update for my router, and give that a try too, the router is a couple of years old now.  I'll also check out the other apps (Wifistatic and Blade Wifi) you suggested to see if they can help.

After resetting the router yesterday, it stayed connected all day, so I'll see if I get a connection tonight when I get home.

Thank you all for your help and advice, great to have such support :smileyhappy:

Inhabitant
paul4os

Let us know how you get on with that "WiFi fixer" tool. I'm too lazy to be bothered experimenting with it :-D