Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Advicer
go2ranjan

Video Call facility in Neo, Xperia Pro and Mini Pro

Hi,

I was very exited to know when Neo, Xperia Pro and Mini Pro released because they were having Secondary Camera . I was planning to buy one of these until one day when i came to know that despite having front camera these phones are unable to make video call.

I was happy because accidently i came to know about this loophole and saved money by not buying it but at the same time sad as the dream of buying Sony Ericsson Android phone with Video calling facility was shattered.

I know this phone can do Video Chat but still when there is a secondary cam there has to be Video Call facility specially when it is coming from Sony Ericsson as yo guys are the on who put this feature in many of the 3G features phones.

Video call is not essentially based on Android. SAMSUNG Galaxy phone when launched was using Android 2.3.2 and it had the menu for video call infact all new Galaxy phones with front camera have menu to make video call. Check it out :-

http://www.gsmarena.com/showpic.php3?sImg=reviewsimg/samsung-i9100-galaxy-s-ii/review/sshots/gsmaren...

I am really surprised to know why these New phones are far away from this basic feature ?

A video chat eats 1 MB per Minute while Video Call does not use data and its quite cheap nowadays.

The biggest problem with these new phones have that i won't be able to make Video Call to other SonyEricsson feature phone like K810i, W995i, Hazel etc.

That means i should ask everyone out there to buy Video Chat compatible phone and throw their existing phone away !

As a SONY Loyal ; i never want to go out of this Brand but at the other side i also have to think twice while spending my hard earned money.

I request you to kindly release a patch or something which can Enable a Video Call facility in these phones.

Thanks.

Forum Legend
uliwooly

Re: Video Call facility in Neo, Xperia Pro and Mini Pro

you should complain directly to Android (Google)

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Advicer
go2ranjan

Either you don't read anything and reply whatever comes into your mind to gain your ratings or you do not have any knowledge or may be both. Don't you know that SAMSUNG Galaxy S 1 and 2 both are Androids and they support Video Call ? I have posted the screenshot, can't you see ? Answer only if you know how they did it.

Forum Legend
uliwooly

you should really read this, perhaps you will understand how to post here

http://talk.sonyericsson.com/message/1046#1046

DISCUSSION GUIDELINES

Welcome to the Sony Ericsson Support Forum.

Welcome to the Sony Ericsson Support forum, the meeting place for like-minded souls who share your – and our – passion for Sony Ericsson products. After all, we don’t pretend to know it all, and you may have some tips you want to share. Maybe you have a question yourself you want to check with other users? Well, you’ve come to the right place!

This site is part of a community.  Be curious. Share. But be nice and follow the rules.

The Support Forum is for you

The Support Forum is not only for you and by you, but also says something about you. What does this mean?  While we still don’t want to sound like your parents, you probably heard these before:

Share it. Reach out and have fun! There are millions of other Sony Ericsson users out there who share your passion for our products. Share your experiences and tips with them.

Show respect. This is a meeting place for Sony Ericsson users worldwide. Being part of a community that big means we must respect each other.  Show respect to other members and they’ll respect you.

Keep it real. Don’t abuse the site. You’re responsible and liable for your actions. We don’t tolerate:

Disrespectful, offensive or flaming comments. We also have zero tolerance if you try to harass, threaten, embarrass or interfere with another user in any unwanted way (this includes trying to get another user's password or any other type of personal information).

Pretending to be someone else or register simultaneously under different pseudonyms/user names. And no inappropriate user names or aliases, please.

Publishing content that is illegal or offensive.

Stealing! Don’t publish any materials that you don’t have all the rights and permissions to. Spam! So don’t publish any advertising or promotional material.

Uploading viruses, Spyware or other harmful or malicious software programs.

Now a quick word about us

We think that by now you have an idea of what this is all about. To make sure that the Forum becomes the great meeting place for Sony Ericsson users that we want it to be, we have appointed some moderators. They work for Sony Ericsson and are here to make sure that the Forum runs smoothly.

Your entries will appear automatically, but if we think you crossed the line we may modify or even delete your entry. A Support Forum member who violates the Sony Ericsson’s Terms & Conditions and/or these Guidelines may have their membership terminated. If your membership has been terminated, you are prohibited from registering again. So please take these rules seriously.

Finally, keep in mind that the opinions on the forum are not endorsed by Sony Ericsson, except where expressed by Sony Ericsson appointed moderators.

Some housekeeping rules

Are you ready to get started? Great! Here’s how…

Register.  To submit posts or leave comments on other posts you need to be a registered forum member. If you don’t want to register, that’s ok, you can still read posts on the forum.

Search the forum before you submit a post. An answer might already be out there.

Be specific and provide as much information as you can to help people understand your question.

The Support forum is for you.  Have fun, get help and help others.

Thanks for taking the time to read these guidelines, see you in the forum!

-Sony Ericsson Answers Team

http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/common/legal

Click here to read the full terms and conditions.

Message was edited by: Jeff-SEAnswers 08/24/10

Message was edited by: Suze 22/02/11

Hi Everyone,

Although we have strived to foster an open and  honest community here on the forum, we have recently come to the  conclusion we may have been ignorant to some of the conversation that  has been occurring here.

We entirely respect any discussion you  have concerning the products, services and support we offer, but  beginning today we will begin actively moderatoring user spam, personal  attacks and foul language with the "2 strike rule". We will publically  warn you of any infractions and if we are informed of a second  occurrence, your account will be banned. We define these items as  follows:

1.  User spam - Repeated posting of the same or similar content across  multiple threads. This includes "advertising” or posting of you  dissatisfaction with a product, service or the support from our company.  Please always feel free to post new threads with any concerns you have,  but please keep the conversation in that thread.

2.  Personal attacks - Rude behavior is easily recognized, and will not be  tolerated. This includes to other members, moderators and employees of  Sony Ericsson.

3.  Foul language - Although foul language is made invisible by the  automated profanity filter, it is still not acceptable to post. Attempts  to circumvent the filter will be treated the same.

This  is truly not something we wanted to have happen, but we want this forum  to be a place people are happy to visit, or feel comfortable posting  questions and comments. We hope you appreciate our transparency and  continue to post here as often as you please.

Kind Regards,

Suze

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Forum Legend
uliwooly

I think you need to do some more research, that picture doesn't show anything more than an image, I've been looking all over and it doesn't say that either that phone and/or android support video call on 3G

Advicer
go2ranjan

I have personally used my friend's Galaxy S phone to investigate the matter and we were able to make video call. There is nothing wrong with Android.

That picture shows 2 Options. There is an option where a handset is shown inside a frame which is the second option. If you tap it on the phone it will start making a video call. I wish if you tested it personally.

Here is the video which is showing a video call being made from an Android 2.3.2 phone Galaxy S.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?desktop_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D0i5q-UMfug8&v=0i5q...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?desktop_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D2lbpCJE1lcY&v=2lbp...

These are youtube mobile site links. Also it has been told in these forums also :-

http://www.samsunggalaxysforum.com/samsung-galaxy-s-how-to/how-to-make-video-call/

http://android.modaco.com/content/dell-streak-streak-modaco-com/316996/samsung-galaxy-s-can-make-vid...

These 4 links are enough to prove that an Android phone can too make a video call.

I want SonyEricsson to study and  implement the same feature.

Forum Legend
uliwooly

Try turning off data and see if the video call still works

Advicer
go2ranjan

Yes it does work. Infact companies charge for the time spent during video call.

The main concern is here that if I buy Neo I wont be able to video call to K810i or W995i or any other non android 3G phone. But with Galaxy as you seen in video above its possible. Video call doesnt use data channel.

Forum Legend
uliwooly

I understand that you are turning off the data, but try doing this download

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.roysolberg.android.datacounter&feature=search_result

and then make the video call, see if anything shows up on the widget

Advicer
go2ranjan

I have W995i. I checked the data counter before and after the video call and there was no change. Infact I removed the Internet settings and still did the video call.

I think you are not getting my point. Mr. John got what I meant in another simillar thread.

Having Video call feature is a universal or cross platform thing like a simple voice call.

If Neo had Video call feature then I could have video call to those people who have SonyEricsson A100 or A200 phone, Nokia, Symbian, LG etc.

I can't tell all my friends and family to buy Neo or Pro to be compatible with my phone.

Can you do it ?

The main point is cross platform restriction here. You can't tell  each and every people to buy Neo or pro. Android is popular but still it will not cover 100% buyers. People will keep buying phones of different platforms. You need a thing which can work with any device just like a voice call.

One day you would say to use Internet telephoney and leave normal voice calls. Do you hope one day they will make such kind of phone without normal voice call but internet ip call ?

That means from that day we would be able to call only those people who have Internet call enabled mobile. You got my point ?

Voice call and Video call are basic features. Leave them intact. Voice chat and internet telephoney are just add ons. That may make your life easier but cant replace the basic ones.  Any extra Useful thing is welcome.