Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

One time poster
uiq3user

Traditional video calls - possible on Xperia Pro?

Hi to all.
I start this topic to get sure and make it clear to all; is Xperia Pro capable to make traditional video calls over UMTS networks in Europe?  I mean to make video calls dialing another GSM recipients, similarly to voice calls. Not the video connections via i-net, ie. VoIP!
In "Your first impressions about Xperia pro" thread I wrote (Feb 17, 4:34 PM):
"(...) Although this is not clearly spelled out in White Paper, video connections are restored at last.
This also applies to video calling, as I guess.
Am I right? If so, that's great - in the era of VoIP and video chat - this option is required.
Correct me if I am wrong about video calling.
As long there is no LTE, regular video calling (via UMTS) is a necessity...
"
I didn't get clear answer for it.
In We know you have questions about the Xperia neo - We have answers! user rspete wrote:
"hi, i'm thinking of joining the sony ericsson family, coming over from nokia! but i use video calling quite a bit to talk to my family when working away,
my wife also has a nokia that we use for this.
will the xperia neo be able to video call to a nokia or likewise? i.e over the air ( 3g )
..."
All the answers he got was VoIP concerned, ie. Skype, Fring, etc. I think in this case (rspete) it was misunderstanding. Wasn't it? So how it is with Xperia Pro - can I make video calls without connecting to the web? Just via UMTS (3G)?  Thx in advance for reply.

Forum Legend
uliwooly

Re: Traditional video calls - possible on Xperia Pro?

as I understand video calls will use your 3G/H data connection, in other words you must have a data plan

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

One time poster
uiq3user

Thx uliwooly for reply.

No, I have meant regular GSM/UMTS network video calls.

I don't need data plan for it 'cause it is network provider's regular service the same as voice calls. The same price/minute.

I am choosing the person from the phone book and I have two options displayed, to make voice call or wideo call.

If mine and another phone (the one I call to) has 3G/UMTS option turned on then video connection is established via base transceiver stations (BST) without connecting to the web via internet account. That's all.

On this basis I use video calls several times a day using the phones P990i and W995i and my friends use for example K810i, G900, P1i...

Video calls are quite popular in Europe for years. That's why I wonder whether Xperia Pro is equiped with this option.

Simply I need SE smartphone with hardware keyboard and 3G (UMTS) video call option.

Forum Legend
uliwooly

Who is your carrier, maybe I can find some info. Now I'm wondering if it'll be an app that its provided by your carrier, if that's the case then you have to look for it on the market

market.android.com

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

One time poster
uiq3user

Sorry uliwooly, You don't quite understand me and the issue. Didn't you hear about simple Video Calls,

analogues to those first  introduced  on DoCoMo-FOMA  mobile service based on W-CDMA  in Japan back in 2001?

Making video calls is easy as a voice calls, under two conditions - You must have a 3G phone and be within range of 3G services. That's all.

To make story short click here. Sorry for the quality of the image - You can enlarge it a little.

Anyway, I desperately  need this option in SE phone with qwerty hardware keyboard. Mine bad luck? :smileyconfused:

Forum Legend
uliwooly

I see what you are saying now, isn't that something your operator must provide? I know docomo and many japanese operators offer different extras w/ their phones and its not hardware or software based but network based.

One time poster
uiq3user

Uliwooly thanks for your reply.

Now that everything is clear, you may know the answer to the question posed in the topic?

Yes, my operator provides video call service since 2005 y. through WCDMA/3G network.

My first videophone was K800i, finally P990i and W995 and I'm expecting the same feature in X-Pro.

As a matter of fact in the White paper is a note that it has wideo chat capability but I assume it refers to VoIP, actually.

You have responded to a guy who was looking at Neo video call options and I think that the situation here in X-Pro is the same. What do you think?

If indeed it is, then this is a big disadvantage because video calls via UMTS don't require connections to the Internet. Therefore, there is no need for

additional peer-to-peer system services from for example Skype, Fring and so on. In other words, this is simplier.

Forum Legend
uliwooly

I've been looking all over if Android support that feature but it doesn't seem like it does, unless what I said before, it might be provided by the network, you should contact your carrier

One time poster
uiq3user

Thanks for your time. Application for video calls should be phone's native. See the picture under "K800i", above.

Carrier has nothing in common with this if it is UMTS video call services operator. All carriers (operators) in Europe provide this services.

Forum Legend
uliwooly

quite interesting I'll keep looking into it