Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

Re: Traditional video calls - possible on Xperia Pro?

HTC DIamond / Diamond 2- Windows Mobile 6.5 still have native video call capability.

Video calling is not old-fashion, nor useless.

It's something that people use freely, without worrying about installing extra software or paying extra for it.

It's a PLUS to any phone!

To be able to perform regular 3G video call within GSM network, from Portugal to Poland (throughout Europe) simply dialing the number and choosing the video call option.

That can't be bad!

However, I am aware that Android does NOT 'natively' support video calls. That is exactly what Google intended.

As a consumer, I praise/select and purchase the product(s) that meet my needs.

That is why I - as many consumers worldwide - have come to the conclusion that we do miss having video calls which continue to be included in our base-price-plans and that are comfortable and important, specially whenever you're away from your dear ones, whatever the reason.

LG, Samsung, even HTC all have kept video call (HTC "thanks" to their proprietary "Sense" software).

That means that if Sony wants to, we´ll have video calling... again... as we used to!

That is what I am asking.

I am trying to make Sony understand that including native support for video calls as other manufactureres have done will be a big selling point and - ultimately - it will come to their advantage.

Including video calling on Sony phones will make them more competitive in the global market.

After all, what have they got to lose?

Eventually, consumers will realise they don't have to lose video calls to gain... whatever.

If they buy an other brand they'll get the best of both worlds.

Won't Sony understand that?

As a long time Sony consumer, used to having video calls, I recognise the advances my Xperia has got.

But I am also aware that if I look elsewhere, I'll be able to keep those same improvments AND still have video calls to my friends and relatives at no extra cost, hassle or limitation.

Forum Legend
uliwooly

I'm not saying this feature is useless but I doubt google adding this feature, since they can't make money out of it, as for networks asking smartphone companies to include this could a selling point but at the same time networks won't make money, lets face it, networks will rather sell you a data plan than a phone that will give you free video calls.

I hope Sony include this as an app that can be downloaded from the market so users that have networks capable of this can take advantage of and users that don't have this feature on their networks won't suffer from more bloatware

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Anonymous(anon)

I don't know why SE having problem to giving features like Video telephony in androids whether Samsung giving this facility in their handset with android and bada both operating systems.
HTC has also given a patch for video telephony in their some handsets....so why SE is not giving..even we are SE users since 5 years and when I upgraded my SE phone with SE smartphone what i get i have no facility of Video telephony, Call recorder..etc.
SE must count our voice....otherwise we people have to think about switching.

Anonymous(anon)

Sometimes I think sell my SE smartphone and buy another Smartphone who have these facility which i can use freely..as i used in my old phone k810i.

In absence of these basic facility my smartphone is useless in India because of no large number of smartphone users...poor and costly data facilities...also bound me to use video calling only those who are user of same apps. on android....so first to make any 3G user for video call ask him to download and install skype or fring...:smileyyahoo: ask him first do u have smartphone with android OS..having wi-fi or internet connection..:smileyyahoo:?
if not then first buy a smartphone then I will contact you by video calling.
is it not like a joke SE done with its users...that they have a smartphone but they don't have smart facilities in their phone and for facilities they have to depend on android(google)...so what google want to provide..consumers are bound to use.SE can't help you anymore in this.
Unfortunetly I was more happy with my old phone than my smartphone.

SE should understand consumers are not mere consumers only but a good marketer too..if they lose a consumer then its doesn't mean that they lost a single consumer it means they lost a marketing line also..which associated with that consumer.

Hope SE would take my words seriously. Thanx.!!

Anonymous(anon)

It is very BAD thing that Sony does not have any developer who can write code for Native 3G video call. Is this same Sony who had many phones with Native 3G video call???

MicroMax (mobile manufacture in India) android super phones also has Native 3G video calls inbuild with dual sim. They also using similar hardware and operating system. Micromax mobiles are much cheaper. If they can WHY NOT SONY???

I just updated my Neo V with ICS. I thought Native 3G video call enabled in this update. My mistake, I am expecting A SMALL THING from BIG BRAND. It is just waste of money of buying SONY andorid mobiles. It is GOOD for Nothing. I am very disapointing.

Native 3G video call is much cheaper in India compared to Video Chat. India's Govt mobile service provider charge 1 paise per second for Native 3G video call without any DATA charges.

MicroMax knows the need of Indian people so they are growing. Samsung does the same thing. Where is SONY??

I like Sony mobiles as they built good quality phones with good look. But I need to basic feature as well. If that is not there, then its of no use.

KGM
One time poster
KGM

Noting as been DONE by SE for Native video call even in android 4.0.3 ! Cheers for SE Developers !

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

since your thread was locked, can you please share which other brand and phone models have this, besides the Samsung galaxy SI and SII?

http://talk.sonymobile.com/message/187672#187672

KGM14 posts since

Dec 17, 2011

Correct but not completly, There are provider which are offering 3g/ Native video calls even before  android 4.0 was launched ie samsung, Lg, Micromax etc on the android plateform  . I just feel bad of not have such feature in my mobile even when it is possiable to offer such BASIC service !

KGM
One time poster
KGM

Samsung's- SI, SII

LG's- Optimus ( Don't remember the model name but its there)

Micromax- A70

It only seems that my Dear SONY devlopers will not b able to provied such feature.. even after so many Sony users are hoping for this feature ..

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

LG Optimus works on data plan not 3G, you need to use Tango or skype same with Micromax A70 you need apps that require a data plan, again you will need apps like tango skype google+ fringe

Anonymous(anon)

LG optimus black and 2x seems to have the native 3g video call option