Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

Tethering/Wifi Hotspot. No internet access. 3g disabled?

Hey. I've been trying to tether my Sony Erricson Xperia Neo to a laptop pc. Android OS.

I first tried USB tethering but my laptop had no internet access, so I instead tried setting up a portable wifi hotspot to see if that would work. My laptop recognised the network I had created and I joined it succesfully, but I had no internet access. (Note: When I used USB tethering another network was recognised by the laptop)

I checked my phone and the 3g icon which shows that mobile internet is enabled (the two little verticle arrows with 3g above them) were not visible, but when I disabled the wi-fi hotspot, the icon appeared again. I'm not sure whether this is normal but could it be that 3g is being disabled with the activation of hotspotting, or is it just hidden automatically when wi-fi hotspotting is disabled? I find sometimes that the 3g icon disapears for no reason in areas I  previously have had good signal, and then when I try and connect it takes a few seconds and then the icon appears again and I can connect.

Help is appreciated. And sorry if I have left out any important specifications about my phone or other information - I'm new to the forum.

Forum Legend
uliwooly

Re: Tethering/Wifi Hotspot. No internet access. 3g disabled?

do you turn on your wifi when you turn on your tethering ? sometimes networks block this feature and you have to use a thirdparty app or pay them extra

try with this app and see if the problem persists

Easy Tether Lite

or

WiFi Tethering

Don't forget to mark the Correct Answers & Helpful Answers

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Anonymous(anon)

No I don't turn on my wifi when I do this. But I can connect to the network so I don't think thats the problem.

I tried using Barnacle Wi-Fi tethering and it wouldn't let me use it because I had to 'root' my Xperia Neo. Will I have to root with those other two apps?

Forum Legend
uliwooly

no you don't have to root with those apps

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Trustee
Markus

When you activate the tethering, can you access this hotspot network with a different device (not your PC), like e.g. a phone?

What do you think about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

Hey,

I installed Easy Tether and set it up. I connected my laptop and it said it had Internet Access, but I couldn't load up any web pages. It sends a request a then times out after 30 seconds...

Anonymous(anon)

Hey,

Correction, I can load up SOME webpages, including this one (I'm  using tethering now :smileyhappy:)... But I can only load particular pages up. I can't load up Google or Facebook, but I can load up Youtube, Hotmail and this forum...

Forum Legend
uliwooly

Do you have 3G? or 2G? also how good is your network coverage?

Anonymous(anon)

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem on my Xperia arc. Still on GB 2.3.4, when I used WiFi hotspot, any device can access the hotspot, but there's no internet access. I tried with 3 phones (with wifi) and two computers, a macbook and a hp running Windows 7. Also, I tried the hotspot with WPA2 and without any encryption.

One time poster
Leona23

The description says this.

"THE LITE VERSION BLOCKS HTTPS, INSTANT MESSENGERS AND GAME CONSOLE TETHERING. IF YOU WANT FULL FEATURES, PURCHASE THE FULL VERSION."

So are you trying to view google and facebook via HTTPS, if so, that maybe why you can't see them.

Just a thought.

And £6.37 for the Pro version, that's a bit steep!

oh and the other suggestion "WiFi Tethering" does require root btw.

"Requires root access on the device! See here for more details:"