Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Talent
paul4os

Problems with text-input user dictionary and word suggestions

I'm using an Xperia Pro running the latest 2.3.4 release (4.0.2.A.0.58) and have two problems with the user dictionary for text-input (I use both the hardware and touch keyboards and have these problems when using either).

ISSUE 1 - POSSIBLE BUG:

Firstly, I notice that if I manually add words to the user dictionary (through the settings menu -> Language & keyboard -> User dictionary -> add), then these words do not appear in the as word suggestions when I am typing. I have my setting set to the default of "substitute letters only" for the slide-out (which I assume should also offer dictionary suggestions) and "automatically correct words" for the on-screen keyboard. (I also have quick fixes off, learn words on, gesture input on, space between gestures on)

ISSUE 2 - FEATURE REQUEST:

Secondly, the automatic word suggestion feature often repeatedly suggests old spelling mistakes to me which is quite annoying. I would like a feature where I can also view, edit and delete words which have been automatically added to the automatic dictionary (separately to words which I have added manually).

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

Re: Problems with text-input user dictionary and word suggestions

backup everything

settings -> privacy -> make sure both back up my data and automatic restore are both selected, and you can use this other options to make sure you don't lose anything

Make sure you backup everything using the Backup & Restore app

if you need the app you can use this link instead to download the apk

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=I5CJUPJV

How to install it

You need to

go to settings -> applications -> check unknown sources

download IO File Manager

https://market.android.com/details?id=org.openintents.filemanager&feature=search_result

download the backup & restore app, transfer it to your SD card, use OI file manager to find it -> tap on it -> install it

Contacts

just to play it safe sync your contacts w/ google if you haven't already

open your phonebook

press MENU button -> tap on Send Contacts -> select all -> send it to your email
on your computer
-> download the file -> go to your gmail -> click on contacts -> click on more actions -> on the drop down menu click on "import" -> choose the file -> and click import
Apps

Don't worry so much about backing up your apps

on your computer go to

market.android.com -> log in -> click on My Library -> and send all your apps to your phone

market my library.JPGmarket my library 02.JPGmarket my library 03.JPGmarket my library 04.JPG

SMS/MMS

if you don't want to use the backup & restore app then

Install "backup SMS" to back up your SMS and MMS to your Gmail

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.zegoggles.smssync&feature=search_result

or your SMS use

"backup & restore SMS"

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore&feature=search_result

or for your MMS use "Save MMS"

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.schwimmer.android.mmsextract&feature=search_result

Call Logs

And for call logs this is great

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.yang.android.ansta

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

once you are done backing up go to

settings -> privacy -> factory reset

once that's done, go to the messaging app -> once you see the keyboard -> tap on the wrench icon -> text input settings -> UNCHECK learn words, quick fixes should be selected, tap on word suggestion -> selec Suggest words, don't correct automatically

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

and re add words to the dictionary

settings -> language & keyboard -> user dictionary -> menu -> add

Talent
paul4os

uliwooly, thanks but wiping my phone is not something that I am not going to do lightheartedly. Before you jump the gun, could you and any other users please tell me if you are having the same issues before I'd even consider it?

I have had this issue as long as I've had my phone (with original 2.3.4 release), and strongly suspect it to be a software bug which SE needs to fix in an update.

Talent
paul4os

uliwooly, is this a known issue and can you confirm that others have fixed it this way?

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

it's a software issue, way back with the first Xperias. the only way to delete all those words/typos is to do a factory reset, if you follow my suggestions above you won't lose anything.

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

if you follow this steps once you do a factory reset

Go to the messaging app -> once you see the keyboard -> tap on the wrench icon -> text input settings -> UNCHECK learn words, quick fixes should be selected, tap on word suggestion -> selec Suggest words, don't correct automatically

you won't have that issue, since the phone won't be learning words (typos) only the words that you add to the dictionary

Talent
paul4os

yes, but I LIKE the fact that it automatically learns words. In the second part of my post, I am essentially asking SE for a new feature in an update to allow users to edit these auto-added words.

What exactly does setting "quick fixes" do and what is your reasoning for setting this? (I don't want two spaces to be converted to a period and space). I also LIKE the setting where it converts u to ü etc. in certain words. What is the reason why are you telling me to set things like this? Is it a known workaround to a bug or what?

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

there is not work around it, if you leave the settings as you have them, to learn words, it will learn EVERYTHING you type, even typos, so the more typos you make, the more typos you'll see as suggestions, there are other keyboards on the market that you can use that might or might not work for you. remember it's a smartphone there are myriad apps that can customize your phone as you want. please check the market, it's easier to find apps using your computer, go to

market.android.com