Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

Issue with WiFi proxy settings

Hi,

I am trying ot connect to my university's wifi service, but I cannot get a connection. I am using a Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo.  I need to change the proxy settings, but the phone does not seem to allow that. I have tried downloading a few apps which would allow me to change proxys but none of them have made any difference. Any ideas?

Anonymous(anon)

Re: Issue with WiFi proxy settings

Just trying to understand your issues.

If you are not able to connect to the university's wi fi network, you will need to speak to the university's IT department about the wi fi connection details.

If you are trying to use the university's wi fi network to access the internet but not being successful, then it most likely that your university is blocking internet access.

Hence even if you try to use a proxy server, it would not help as the firewall settings of the university's wi fi network will very likely prevent access to the internet if that is the policy of the university.

Also if you are trying to access certain sites that is not allowed by the university, using a proxy server in an attempt to circumvent that will not work for the same reason I just mentioned above.

The system administrators will have already thought of this already to prevent unauthorised access into and out of their network.

Anonymous(anon)

Thanks for the reply, but sadly I think I might not have been clear enough. In order to even connect to the network, I need to change the proxy settings to those specified by the university. This is possible on other android phones and the university IT department just told me to figure out how to change it. My phone currently shows that I am connected to the network, but I do not have internet access.

Anonymous(anon)

Just an update: I have managed to change the proxy on the firefox browser by using the about:config, but that does not seem to work on anything else..

Community Manager
Johan

It's not possible to change or add any proxy settings to Wi-Fi in this phone.

Anonymous(anon)

Please do make an update to add Proxy Settings for Wifi.

It's important for us working at office to connect our phone over workplace network.

Other phone like Samsung S2 has proxy settings to Wifi. Why not on Xperia phones?

http://www.megaleecher.net/uploads/i9000-wifi-fix-step-3.pngi9000-wifi-fix-step-3.png