Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

GPS issues since update

Hello Sony and other users

If updated my Neo last week from the stock firmware to 2.3.3 build 4.0.A.2.368.

After that I have issues with GPS signal (DOP). Programs like RunGPS, Google Maps and Navigon loses GPS signal exactly every 5 minutes für about 30 seconds. After that, the DOP is good again. Sometimes it helps to restart the phone, sometimes not. I've tried to find out if it depends, which programs are in the memory but nothing is really obvious.

The issue looks like this:

DOP.jpg

Yesterday I've updated to 2.3.4  4.0.2.A.0.42, but the issue is the same. I've read in another forum that sometimes an update of Googe maps could cause this problem. So I've deinstalled the last update of Goggle maps. Before that I had this issue, directly after that it was gone, but it came back although I did not install the update of googe maps again (Auto update was disabled).

Before the firmware updates I did not have this issues.

What can I do? Are there some log files, which can help? Any idea?

With this issue the GPS is not really usable. Is it possible to downgrade?

Thanks

Anonymous(anon)

Re: GPS issues since update

I had been waiting for the release of X-Pro since it was announced. It is available where i am now but all the issues i keep reading on various forums has made me think twice. I use GPS on my old Xperia phone and can't do without it. I wonder if the drop in the signal is a common issue for all upgrading to new version!!! I've heard others complain of battery drain after updation as well. If this is true then i think i will rather get some other brand. Had been a loyal SE customer for the past 8-9 years but i think its time to move on.

Anonymous(anon)

Hello Sony

I've been doing a research yesterday and today.

And I think, I know the problem now.

I've installed OSMonitor to see the system logs.

I've run RunGPS the whole morning after a restart of the phone.

After 2h20min the problems begins. Every 5min loss of signal. See this:

dopDiagram.png

Parallel to each loss OS Monitor shows message:

rmnet_stop()

rmnet_open()

rmnet0: no IPv6 routers present

or

device rmnet0 left promiscuous mode

device rmnet0 entered promiscuous mode

After research it has something to do with data transfer so I switched Data transfer off, I tried to change settings like "WCDMA prefered" and so on. WIFI On/off, Data On/Off. Nothing helps.

And than I activated flight mode and the problem is gone.

After switching the phone online again the problem is back.

So, what is wrong?

Please help because otherwise I have give the phone back.

Thanks

PS.: In the RunGPS Forum there is a second user with the same problem (Xperia Arc). He's got 3,5min distance between losses.

Hello Sony, it seems to be a real problem!

Anonymous(anon)

Further investigation shows, that maybe RunGPS is responsible for the error, maybe in combination with Sony Firmware.
I restartet the phone and waited for 2h and something, so I can be sure, that the error should be there.
Than I startet Navigon Navigator and watch the GPS signal for 10min - nothing. Than I ended Navigon.
10min later I did the same - nothing. Closing Navigon again. Than I startet RunGPS. After only 3min the error occurs the first time. Than I ended RunGPS and started Navigon again. After 5min the error is there.
So the error occurs after using RunGPS.
The logs shows something interesting. All the time before I startet RunGPS (2h and something) nothing special is seen in the logs. Some errors, some warnings, a lot of information. After starting RunGPS and end it again I find this very often in the logs which was not there before starting RunGPS:
10/30/2011 19:01:40 [ERROR]
msm_i2c msm_i2c.0: (0076) Error during data xfer (-5)

Maybe its not realated to RunGPS, but the Admins and programmers should know. Please feedback!

Thanks

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

This is how you enter Service Menu on the Arc, Neo, Play, etc

Open the Dialer and press this

*#*#7378423#*#*

Anonymous(anon)

Hello

Thanks for the information. I performed the gps test and everything is ok. But the gps itself is not really the problem.

How can service menu help?

Thanks

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

it doesn't allow you to calibrate it and also try this on the apps

settings -> applications -> manage applications -> all -> google maps uninstall updates, clear everything repeat with the other apps and see if that fix the issue

Anonymous(anon)

Hello

"it doesn't allow you to calibrate it" ? What does that mean?

I read the update thing with google maps in another forum and allready did that.

I also deinstalled every new application which came with the updates (FIFA, Music umlimited and so on). But it does not help.

Thanks

Bye

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

not just google maps but other apps aswell, like skymap, not just uninstall the updates but clear all the options there