Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

slimshaddy

Re: Bad news! ICS delayed!

video chat..?? arc does not have a front facing camera:smileyconfused:

Forum Legend
uliwooly

nop, but if you use skype you can use the rear camera for videochat and you can see them if they have a rear and/or front facing camera

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

One time poster
zimpee

slimshaddy,

You read my post?

"Once i had a dream about connecting my phone with the plasma via HDMI, and do videochatting 40 inch wide. Not with Gtalk, currently."

Videochatting with the HDMI out still shouldn't be a problem. but a great option to do. I wish...

zimpee

Anonymous(anon)

I've switched between the ICS beta and 2.3.4 this week and there are no limitations.  I used Wotanclient to go back to GB as an experiment and it worked fine.

Anonymous(anon)

I've been running the ICS beta on my Arc S.  At first I was *blown away* but after a few weeks some things started to worry me:

• It uses a lot more RAM.  On a clean boot I have half the RAM available (about 80MB) than I do on GB (150MB+)
  • It can be sluggish at times but I put that down to it being a beta.
  • The home screen reloads are much worse than under GB.
  • The music player stutters quite badly at times.  This is really disappointing.  I would get this occasionally on GB too but nothing as bad as this.

I switched to a custom ICS ROM (Arconium) for a while as it supported supercharging the launcher which fixed the reloads ... but ... music and UI speed were still poor.

So, a couple of days ago I went back to GB (the .42 release using Wotan - what an amazing *free* service!) and ... yikes ... the speed difference is much better than I'd remembered.

Once back on GB I installed the Xperia S launcher and music player.  So far I haven't had a single stutter playing my music - even while browsing, using FB, etc.  Plus my phone looks fresh - new clock and weather widgets, Xperia S themes, etc.

When ICS is released I will install it and give it another go but unless there are some serious perfomance changes when compared to the beta then I think there are going to be some very disappointed users.  And based on the comments I've read about no OTA update, etc. I think it's safe to say that Sony know this too.  :smileysad:

However, there will be custom ROMs available that will be tweaked to increase perfomance and memory usage - but you'll only benefit from this if you root your device or, if you want to try a ROM with a non-Sony kernel, unlock your bootloader.  I've unlocked mine but it's not for the faint-hearted!

My next phone won't be a Sony.  The only device I will get in future will be the official "Google Phone" as a) they always get the latest updates, b) are very easy to root and c) they don't have a locked bootloader - you can enable fastboot support very easily.

I love my Arc S but it's not powerful enough - they should of put more RAM in it IMHO.

Anonymous(anon)

Yikes.  The comments on the blog post about GB vs. ICS do not make for comfortable reading.

http://blogs.sonymobile.com/wp/2012/03/30/learn-about-the-technical-differences-between-gingerbread-...

Sony could lose a few customers over this.

Some comments ask why they don't release Android 2.3.7 with the NXT UI (Xperia S launcher, music player, widgets) for 2011 phones.  Having used some of these new apps myself I think it would be a good idea and might claw back some respect.  But I don't think it will happen.

slimshaddy

ok thanks for confimation :smileyhappy:

slimshaddy

leave it , i got confused :smileyhappy:

slimshaddy

so you cleared our doubts.. the red highlighted parts above are true..

so this is finaly what i am going to do...

stay on GB + root + add custom ics widgets....

what else can be done.. i have xperia arc , and not arc s so there will be a minimum months gap and as rec said , forum might be full of complaints.... lets see.. another 20 days and we'll see..

One time poster
Mhyke

Nexus S have 1GHZ and 512 RAM and can run ICS with no Problem, but UI is not heavily skinned.

Xperia Neo L comes with ICS out of the Box but also It share's the same specs for Xperia 2011 1GHZ and a 512 RAM but it is also skinned with NXT UXP.

They still have a month to fully optimized Android 4.0.3 for Xperia 2011 and not giving as dilemma of choosing their Gingerbread 2.3.4/2.3.7 and Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3

this is confusing :smileyconfused:

but I hope they will also release Gingerbread 2.3.7 or newer version for Xperia 2011 if we are to update and choose between the 2 Android versions 2.3.x/4.0.x and we can upgrade/downgrade to try them out