Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Master
slimshaddy

Re: Bad news! ICS delayed!

video chat..?? arc does not have a front facing camera:smileyconfused:

Forum Legend
uliwooly

nop, but if you use skype you can use the rear camera for videochat and you can see them if they have a rear and/or front facing camera

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

One time poster
zimpee

slimshaddy,

You read my post?

"Once i had a dream about connecting my phone with the plasma via HDMI, and do videochatting 40 inch wide. Not with Gtalk, currently."

Videochatting with the HDMI out still shouldn't be a problem. but a great option to do. I wish...

zimpee

Anonymous(anon)

I've switched between the ICS beta and 2.3.4 this week and there are no limitations.  I used Wotanclient to go back to GB as an experiment and it worked fine.

Anonymous(anon)

I've been running the ICS beta on my Arc S.  At first I was *blown away* but after a few weeks some things started to worry me:

• It uses a lot more RAM.  On a clean boot I have half the RAM available (about 80MB) than I do on GB (150MB+)
  • It can be sluggish at times but I put that down to it being a beta.
  • The home screen reloads are much worse than under GB.
  • The music player stutters quite badly at times.  This is really disappointing.  I would get this occasionally on GB too but nothing as bad as this.

I switched to a custom ICS ROM (Arconium) for a while as it supported supercharging the launcher which fixed the reloads ... but ... music and UI speed were still poor.

So, a couple of days ago I went back to GB (the .42 release using Wotan - what an amazing *free* service!) and ... yikes ... the speed difference is much better than I'd remembered.

Once back on GB I installed the Xperia S launcher and music player.  So far I haven't had a single stutter playing my music - even while browsing, using FB, etc.  Plus my phone looks fresh - new clock and weather widgets, Xperia S themes, etc.

When ICS is released I will install it and give it another go but unless there are some serious perfomance changes when compared to the beta then I think there are going to be some very disappointed users.  And based on the comments I've read about no OTA update, etc. I think it's safe to say that Sony know this too.  :smileysad:

However, there will be custom ROMs available that will be tweaked to increase perfomance and memory usage - but you'll only benefit from this if you root your device or, if you want to try a ROM with a non-Sony kernel, unlock your bootloader.  I've unlocked mine but it's not for the faint-hearted!

My next phone won't be a Sony.  The only device I will get in future will be the official "Google Phone" as a) they always get the latest updates, b) are very easy to root and c) they don't have a locked bootloader - you can enable fastboot support very easily.

I love my Arc S but it's not powerful enough - they should of put more RAM in it IMHO.

Anonymous(anon)

Yikes.  The comments on the blog post about GB vs. ICS do not make for comfortable reading.

http://blogs.sonymobile.com/wp/2012/03/30/learn-about-the-technical-differences-between-gingerbread-...

Sony could lose a few customers over this.

Some comments ask why they don't release Android 2.3.7 with the NXT UI (Xperia S launcher, music player, widgets) for 2011 phones.  Having used some of these new apps myself I think it would be a good idea and might claw back some respect.  But I don't think it will happen.

Master
slimshaddy

ok thanks for confimation :smileyhappy:

Master
slimshaddy

leave it , i got confused :smileyhappy:

Master
slimshaddy

so you cleared our doubts.. the red highlighted parts above are true..

so this is finaly what i am going to do...

stay on GB + root + add custom ics widgets....

what else can be done.. i have xperia arc , and not arc s so there will be a minimum months gap and as rec said , forum might be full of complaints.... lets see.. another 20 days and we'll see..

One time poster
Mhyke

Nexus S have 1GHZ and 512 RAM and can run ICS with no Problem, but UI is not heavily skinned.

Xperia Neo L comes with ICS out of the Box but also It share's the same specs for Xperia 2011 1GHZ and a 512 RAM but it is also skinned with NXT UXP.

They still have a month to fully optimized Android 4.0.3 for Xperia 2011 and not giving as dilemma of choosing their Gingerbread 2.3.4/2.3.7 and Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3

this is confusing :smileyconfused:

but I hope they will also release Gingerbread 2.3.7 or newer version for Xperia 2011 if we are to update and choose between the 2 Android versions 2.3.x/4.0.x and we can upgrade/downgrade to try them out