Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

One time poster
mkaraagac42

Bad news! ICS delayed!

ICS delayed. It will come on mid-april.

Master
slimshaddy

Re: Bad news! ICS delayed!

Sony wrote:

The first Xperia models to receive the upgrade will be Xperia arc S, Xperia neo V and Xperia ray. For these first models, the rollout will start mid-April and continue over 4-6 weeks.*

so that means , the wait for the second lot is more than 2 months , so sad....

and i really dont like the idea to upgrade to ICS

We are actually proud to say that our Gingerbread software is very stable and has great performance, so it’s not a bad idea to stay on this platform if your top priority is extreme stability

what a joke /\....

Another interesting thing is that many apps use slightly more RAM in ICS. For example, the web browser is quite intensive, and our measurements indicate that it uses 20-30MB more in ICS compared to Gingerbread. All in all, there are a lot of changes that together result in greater RAM requirement.

we are ******... i thought ICS will use lesser RAM , but keep dreaming...

When you exit your game, there is a risk that the phone is perceived as slow, since the Home screen app will have to be restarted, just like every other activity you access afterwards.

we are aware of this and we have to keep bearing this.....

Hardware acceleration means that the GPU is used to render graphics, which enables a smooth user interface. However, it also results in at need to load additional graphic libraries for certain apps, which makes them use even more RAM.

When we performed internal tests on our applications, we saw that the Settings app consumed 1-2MB more RAM, and actually took longer time to start with HW acceleration, compared to without.

Another effect of the hardware acceleration is that it can make the battery drain faster in some cases. An example of this is video playback, where the hardware acceleration requires every video frame to be run through the GPU, thus making the system use more power than it would have without HW acceleration.

this sucks..

http://developer.sonymobile.com/wp/2012/03/30/learn-about-the-technical-differences-between-gingerbr...

Anonymous(anon)

Yeah, I knew this was coming. Samsung did a better job. Samsung updated the software only to the phones capable of software upgrade. So did htc. They kept their promises. Anyone who read sonys latest blog article knows that sony is trying to keep there customers from updating to android 4.0. They realize their mistake. Samsung just gave a feature update to galaxy S because they knew they couldnt do it. I bet after the update, the blog will be flooded with complaints of slow sluggish UI. Thats what sony is trying to say. I totally blame Sony because they didnt renew their hardware in 2011, when all manufactures moved to dual core processors. Google came up with ICS because they knew manufactures would upgrade the mid 2011 models only. sony didnt even give the arc s a dual core processor when everyone was talking about quad core.

Forum Legend
uliwooly

I was reading that and wow its quite dissapointing

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Master
slimshaddy

yes it is :smileysad:

so what will you do..??

1. Stay with GB
  2. Stay with GB + root and install ICS widgets..
  3. Upgrade to ICS and see what are the results..
  4. ICS + root..???

i'm thinking of 2...

Forum Legend
uliwooly

Update to ICS and see how slow it is, if its a pain then downgrade and perhaps move on to another phone and/or brand

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Master
slimshaddy

hmm... i hope there are no limitations in downgrading.. like when users downgraded to 2.3.2 they got the 0% error..

i know we'll get reviews of many users about the ICS but at the end of the day , its better to check it personally :smileyhappy:

Forum Legend
uliwooly

yeah I'm also considering a custom ROM

Sage
FrontierGate

Nexus S has 512MB ram and a 1GHz single-core processor but still runs great on Android 4.04.

One time poster
zimpee

I really hope that i'll be able to videochat in gtalk with the new ICS on my Arc S.

If not... I can possibly return to my old Nokia 5800 and use it with skype ( Why i bought this...)

SONY!

Don't make me change. It's a shame that i have to use Skype when videochatting to others.

Once i had a dream about connecting my phone with the plasma via HDMI, and do videochatting 40 inch wide. Not with Gtalk, currently.

Totally different:

Do you really think that a customer uses it's phone to play, display images, videos 60 cm far from the tv??

even my 32" LCD is too big to do these.

Chinese market micro-HDMI-HDMI Cable costs 75% of yours, though it is 1,5 m long. Why make customers unconfortable?

Best,

zimpee