Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Forum Legend
uliwooly

Re: 8 Mpx Camera produces only ultra-compressed low quality images: is it a bug or a feature!?

I'll check it out and try it on my Arc

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Talent
paul4os

Re: 8 Mpx Camera produces only ultra-compressed low quality images: is it a bug or a feature!?

I wouldn't waste your time if I were you. The guys there have stated that their hack won't make any noticable difference as they can't adjust the sub-sampling used inside the compiled camera drivers.

Anonymous(anon)

so it is not camera compression which is the result of poor pic result

Talent
paul4os

(For still images that is, for videos I reckon reducing h.264 compression would improve things a bit too)

Anonymous(anon)

okay .. i hope they find what is actually wrong ASAP

its not above my level of understanding .. but i want it fixed

Talent
paul4os

... oops - my bad. To correct myself:

The problem IS related to JPEG compression, but just not related to the standard JPEG "quality" setting.

You can read more about the bad 2x2 sub-sampling used to create the JPEG at:

http://www.impulseadventure.com/photo/chroma-subsampling.html

Anonymous(anon)

Guys, I think I have found a part solution to this problem, it is the gallery application that does not display images and videos very well, it does not allow you to zoom in much,

but when I downloaded "QuickPic" from the Android Market my images instantly looked better and I could for example see number plates on cars where I could not before. Here is a

download link, tell me what you think:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.alensw.PicFolder&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEs....

Master
slimshaddy

although a user "uliwooly" kept on saying its better , i did not downloaded it but everybody's saying its good...so i'll give it a try :smileylaugh:

i'll reply..

Master
slimshaddy

ok i agree... quick pic has more zoom level then the stock gallery and also its clearer...

but theres no widget , are you kiddding me :smileyshocked:

Anonymous(anon)

Quick pic is really clear?? ..

i am using it also .. not much difference i felt