Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Talent
paul4os

Re: 8 Mpx Camera produces only ultra-compressed low quality images: is it a bug or a feature!?

Could it be something to do with the fact that they bundled a crappy class 2 SD card with the phone? (I have a class 6 of my own installed :smileycool:).

If so, they could solve that easily by having a small benchmark when you first insert the SD card to test its speed (like Microsoft does when you insert an SD card into your Windows PC for ReadyBoost). If the card is fast enough, then you could choose the "fine" or "superfine" settings.

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

Re: 8 Mpx Camera produces only ultra-compressed low quality images: is it a bug or a feature!?

I think it's more than that :smileysilly:

Talent
paul4os

like what?

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

I don't think they care which type of SD card you will use with your phone, it could be that they refuse to give the user the "lossless" picture quality not just to save space or not just because of some limitations on the SD cards they bundle with the phone but as a way to speed up the camera between shots

but who knows, maybe now that the camera libraries are available we'll get to the bottom of this

Talent
paul4os

Could be - I'd rather users could just choose if that were the case.

For SD card speed, I was thinking more of video. To record HD video on many Canon etc. cameras these days you need a certain speed of SD card. I think the video compression also needs to be reduced for those of us who have faster cards.

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

I agree that for 1080p video it will be a problem.

have you seen the ridiculous bitrate the Arc has?

iPhone 4S (1080p)Nokia N9 (720p)Galaxy S II (1080p)Galaxy S II (720p)Arc S (720p)Sensation XE (1080p)Sensation XE (720p)Titan (720p)

FPS26fps29fps25fps30fps30fps22.6fps23fps24fps
Bitrate25Mbps7.7Mbps14Mbps12Mbps6Mbps7.5Mbps3.8Mbps9.5Mbps
Storage for 10 min clip1818MB565MB1047MB900MB493MB660MB367MB707MB

Anonymous(anon)

Heres a link that would seem to answer all our outcry, I think its all about the Mobile Bravia Engine that does the Image noise suppresions/image compressions etc. But I might be wrong. . .
http://blog.gsmarena.com/heres-what-sony-ericsson-mobile-bravia-engine-really-does-review/

Anonymous(anon)

Still no answer from Sony Ericsson? :smileyangry:

Anonymous(anon)

cameraaaaaaaaaaaaaa :smileysad: :smileysad: :smileysad:    

Talent
paul4os

FYI guys, you should read this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1309080

Apparantly, this has absolutely nothing to do with the JPEG quality setting and adjusting the JPEG quality has no affect on photo quality. The guys on XDA reckon it is something to do with SE using something called "2x2 chroma sub-sampling".

EDIT: here is a post explaining th bad quality JPEG compression that is being used:

http://www.impulseadventure.com/photo/chroma-subsampling.html