Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

One time poster
silentbeak

XPERIA mini - ICS update - CAMERA 5 Megapixel Blurry - 3 Megapixel clear

I bought this phone : sony ericsson xperia mini st15i one month and half ago. It was fast but the very third day it suddenly switched off when it was in sleep mode. I clicked button and thought it might have got hanged and switched off. So i clicked switch on button but nothing worked. i tried again. nothing worked. i took out the batter and putted back inside and then it got restarted by clicking power button. i thot it will never happen again. but it happend 2 times again with certain time gaps. i thot this might be due to some app which i have installed, so i checked all apps... and found each app compatible and fine. One month it went fine and suddenly the same thing happend again. it got switchd off sometime without my notice and i again had to take out the battery and putted it iinside to restart.

i realised that this might be a bug of this version, so i updated the 2.3 ginger bread to the 2.3 ginger bread of upper build number as per the update which was flashing on my phone since days. I updated it using 3g connection of my phone. I thot it will go away. Now it might have gone. i dont know but now a new thing started annoying me. my gallery stopped showing the pictures and videos and was flashing empty. Now this was the another big issue. I THOT the whole ginger bread version is buggy and need to be updated.

I connected my phone to pc companion in my pc using usb cable and updated it to 4.0.4 ICS version. Now the phone is laggy, and i am facing a big issue. The camera in 5 mp mode is blurry while the camera in 3 mp is bit crisp. NOw what is this? was i am expecting this? never. I bought this phone very much due to its 5mp camera. Now tell me what i need to do... I WILL BE VERY HAPPY TO GO BACK TO GINGER BREAD VERSION WITH NO BUG OF GALLERY AND SWITCH OFF. Can you provide me the solution for this. I am within the warranty period of this phone.

PLEASE HELP!

One time poster
Glorifyday

Re: XPERIA mini - ICS update - CAMERA 5 Megapixel Blurry - 3 Megapixel clear

It looks like you are using the 4.1.B.0.431 firmware. In fact, only the 5MPix preview should be blurry, the actual pictrures should be crisp... at least this was my case.

Anyway, my suggestion is to upgrade to 4.1.B.0.587 if you can. Lots of negative opinions are said about this firmware, but I disagree. In my opinion this is the best official firmware made for ST15i - ever. I mean... it still has some minor bugs, but nothing really frustrating, as the 'oveheating/captive keys' in Android 2.3 or freezing and crashing under 4.1.B.0.431.

I know that under 4.1.B.0.587 the phone automatically switches to WCDMA/Auto after reboot, but after I upgraded the phone on 21 October, I rebooted... like... twice? And it was because of an error in a third party application (the application left something in the notification area and I could not get rid of that - there are other methods to clear it, but rebooting will also do).

I would also suggest to upgrade via SONY Update Service with factory data reset. I was using this method and it worked OK.

One time poster
silentbeak

Thanks a lot for your reply. You know what you are right. Yes the preview in 5mp is blurred but the actual pics are crisp. But the 3mp looks more crisp than in 5mp. I am attaching the pics. please check. The wide 16:9 is 3mp and 4:3 is 5mp.

3MP :

DSC_0062.jpg

5MP

DSC_0061.jpg

VERSION I AM USING - ANDROID 4.04

BUILD NUMBER :4.1.B.0.587

please check and tell .... do u find the quality of pics different on two modes...what will be the solution.

One time poster
Glorifyday

Hi,   both pictures look quite OK, it's really hard to tell. Lower resolution photos might look cleaner and crisper when examined pixel by pixel. And this is a general rule independent of the camera. It may be dependent on camera software, but as a general rule, when creating a lower resolution image from higher resolution sensor data you have some redundant information and using good algorithm you can get rid of some noise for instance. The other factor is the lens resolution. It is the same for low and high resolution images, but this means that relative (per pixel) resolution is higher for low res images.  The high resolution images might contain more details anyway, despite being not so crisp when viewed at pixel by pixel level. It is possible if the resolution gain is not lost in noise and if the lenses are good enough to provide more details.  It is possible that with noisy sensors or weak lenses low resolution images are better solution because they are crispier and less noisy and the higher resolution does not bring more details. Then using low-res gives you additional advantage - less space occupied on a memory card.  If you really want to tell if using higher resolution gives you additional details, I would recommend taking some photos of test charts, for instance charts used by dpreview.com or gsmarena.com. Then, after thorough examination of the details, you will be able to tell if 5 mpix mode is worth using. But remember to provide good light conditions, the same for both modes. And to make more photos... so that you will have at least one really sharp photo in each mode.  I am using 5 mpix mode myself, having slight impression that they are a bit more detailed, but I must confess that I haven't conducted any serious tests... it's just an impression. On the other hand... the factory setting was 3 mpix... this might be the manufacturer's suggestion.  I am a bit surprised that you find the .587 firmware so laggy... from your description I thought yoi were using the. 431 version... this was real laggy :-). Maybe try to re-upgrade with SONY Update Service? I trust this method more, because the phone is flashed when switched off.  Anyway, I wouldn't recommend going back to Gingerbread. Yes... it had very fast and smooth interface, but it had very serious problems with wrong calibration of the back and memu soft keys... in certain conditions the phone was unusable at all :-(.

One time poster
silentbeak

with your descriptions, i have started to belive in the ics version...yes you are right..i can deal with this little delay in response of keypad while typing digits in dialer ..as compared to those issues in gingerbread...yeah i have minutely calculated the picture quality...with 3mp camera i zoomed in and saw the alphabets of a sheet little clear than that of 5 mp...but they both are having a little difference ... i can manage with that...this version has some good things like flip exit of the applications. Thanks a lot for your replies...

Please suggest me something on the maintainence of phone...like say the internal memory...i have downloaded an app but after downloading from google play...error msg displayed ... memory size error ...something like that...so i again downloaded... will that extra downloaded occupy my phones internal memory..where that setup gets installed...i am little illiterate on the applications handling and dealing with them...i just want them to occupy the right amount of space instead of unnecessary...also guide me on clearing the cache or data...is it right thing to do...or should i leave the app to do what is doing...what you will suggest for maintainence of apps and internal memory?

Sorry for asking so much... :smileysad:

One time poster
Glorifyday

"Memory size error"? Strange... I have never saw such a message. Really.

I think this is not normal and would like to encourage you to re-update with SONY Update Service (SUS). As I wrote earlier, the update with SUS is done with the phone switched off (SONY even recommends that the phone should be switched off for at least 30 seconds before the process), so the risk of possible file conflicts is ommitted. What I also did before the last upgrade, was formatting of the memory card (Settings -> Memory -> Clear memory card). In fact I did this twice - just before the upgrade and just after the upgrade... it's a over-safety voodoo, but it won't do you harm ;-).

If your phone rebooted spontaneously, there might exist some data corruption on the card and I am not sure if Android takes care of that - formatting is a sure solution to get rid of any data corruption (provided that the card is not faulty, of course).

While upgrading with SUS, use the factory reset option. Before that, make all necessary backups - backup the data on your SD card, backup contacts, call logs, SMSes, etc. You will find free bacup apps on Google Play.

I am not an Android expert, either, I do not know answers to most of your questions, sorry... maybe ask someone on xda-developers?

One time poster
silentbeak

thanks ... i will definitely see into this... :smileyhappy:

One time poster
Viki132

Couldn't agree more! That's my experience also. Preview in 5MP mode is blurry cause the preview is not using the hole screen, as if it's been squished somehow. But the picture quality is superb and a bit better than on GB. As for the camera HD mode, it works flawlessly, no those tiny laggs when you move camera around like in GB. As for sound beeing stereo or mono, to be honest I didn't noticed any difference, to me they both sound equal. And yea not to forget no more crackling background noise like in GB!