Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

One time poster
wcheung210

Re: Physical azerty keyboard not working properly after ICS update

Hi Johan,

Same problem.

IMEI: 012789001818396

SI: 1261 - 5019

Anonymous(anon)

hi Johan,

same problem, i'd tryed to change the language to french and they ask me if i what an "azerty" or "qwerty" or "qwertz" keyboard, i put "qwerty" but when i type.. it type "azerty"

& problem with all the "blue caractere" like (! @ # $ % ^ &.....)

Sorry for my bad english

my SI is 1251-0667

Anonymous(anon)

hi Johan,

my physical QWERTY keyboard is working as a AZERTY :smileysad:

SI: 1261-5019

IMEI: 01278900-192508-4

Anonymous(anon)

from same problem I am also suffering.

I bought it for faster documantation speed but it turns to crap after update to ICS

SI           1261-5019.2

IMEI         01278900-184342-8

Anonymous(anon)

I have also repaired my mobile as suggested by Mrcus but still it's not giving correct response.

It's  AZERTY not QWERT....................

why you did not checked the upgrades fully ............

One time poster
jossknight

Would it be over the top to say that I am spitting with rage over this issue?  Because I have sent my phone away to Ashford to be 'repaired', following the ridiculous instructions I was given for the fixing of what is a simple software issue (I gritted my teeth and went along with it, I didn't see the point of arguing).  I was assured that when I got the phone back I could upgrade to Android 4 using PC Companion as before and this time nothing would go wrong.  So I did.  I plugged the phone in and it told me I should upgrade, I upgraded, and the keyboard switched from qwerty to azerty AGAIN. After sending it away for THREE WEEKS to have someone do a simple downgrade that could easily be done through PC Companion if Sony could be bothered to provide such a feature.

Did the phone come back with a little note warning me not to upgrade to ICS?  No. Did the 'repair' centre bother to check that the upgrades were now working on these handsets?  Obviously not. What on earth kind of service is this?  I bought a brand new phone that was claimed "upgradable to Android 4" and I haven't got to use it a month after I bought it.  Does Sony think it's okay to sell such defective products without at least having the courtesy to check that their own instructions for repair actually work?  Do the call centre agents have any idea how absurd it is to have to physically send away your phone to make a tiny software fix that a developer could make with a simple edit to a keyboard file?  Especially when sending it away doesn't actually fix the problem?

Another question I might ask is why the repair centre couldn't do the Android upgrade for me?

IMEI: 012789001811581

SI: 1261-5019

Original 'Repair' Reference: WB-SE-00045274

One time poster
Moonister

Sorry to hear you have been without your phone for so long it is definitely embarrassing for Sony and no, what you say is not over the top at all. All you say is very reasonable.

There are just a few companies which have excellent customer services / relations (M&S, John Lewis, Amazon). Sony is definitely not one of them. It seems that complaining here on this forum (or to Sony's customer services in general) has no impact whatsoever as Sony simply ignores these post. It's almost 2 months that ICS rolled out to Sony's phones and it's still non-working OS not to mention that the process is being handled terribly. Does Sony care? I doubt it. "We are huge so we can do whatever we want" attitude is evident here.

It's a shame as the phone (xperia pro) is a very good product. Why companies can't get to their heads that hardware, software, marketing and after sale departments should work together in a seamless fashion. That's why Iphone is so popular I guess.

PS. I received my phone after 3 weeks from the same repair centre with Gingerbread on it but will not be updating to ICS anytime soon (or at all seeing what direction this is going).

SONY GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER and stop behaving like a small "quick buck" company on ebay. If you cannot upgrade your phones with ICS then do NOT advertise them as ICS upgradable because this is illegal/immoral and voids the transaction.

It is worth taking this matter further i.e. newspapers or Office of Fair Trading because posting here is as effective as screaming for help in the middle of amazon jungle.

Answering your last question, imo it's obvious that Sony simply does not have a working version of ICS for their phones (or some of them). So why are they saying to their customers they should upgrade is beyond my comprehension.

Anonymous(anon)

Hi, I just updated my new phone through companion and it was rendered almost useless by turning Azerty. I guess that the advertising of Azerty keyboard would never lure me to buy it, i bought it because of the Qwerty keyboard as i am not French. I even checked the problem upfront and read here on an official forum a message from the 15th of June that "Phones that have not updated to ICS yet will not get this problem when updating."...

Please come up with some patch solution fast.

I will PM you the IMEI and SI on request.

One time poster
jossknight

Partial transcript of a futile chat with Sony support:

Stephanie:  How can I help today?

Me:  My phone has returned for repair but the problem has not been fixed.

Me:  Following the explicit instructions given by support, I upgraded the phone upon return from repair (as prompted by PC Companion). Once again, the physical keyboard was switched from QWERTY to AZERTY.

Stephanie:  I'm sorry to hear that. Unfortunately there isn't a way to resolve this yourself so it will need to come back to us

Me:  Yes, apparently.

Stephanie:  Okay, would you like me to provide you with details on how to send your phone for repair?

Me:  Am I to be stuck in a constant loop of sending my phone away for 3 weeks so that someone can do a 10 minute downgrade job on it, or am I this time to be warned NOT to upgrade my phone to Android 4 as prompted?

Stephanie:  Please could I take the IMEI number of your handset?

Me:  All the details of my handset will be found in the details for the last repair reference that I gave you.

Me:  Am I to be stuck in a constant loop of sending my phone away for 3 weeks so that someone can do a 10 minute downgrade job on it, or am I this time to be warned NOT to upgrade my phone to Android 4 as prompted?

Stephanie:  I'm sorry about that Joss. You should be able to upgrade to Android 4 without promblems after the repair, I'm sorry the previous repair was unsuccessful

Me:  I'm not sure I follow you. What is different on this occasion from the last occasion?

Stephanie:  It may be that something went wrong previously, hopefully we can resolve it this time for you.

Me:  Do your notes tell you that the ICS upgrade has now been fixed?

Stephanie:  Yes the issue should be resolved

Me:  Do your notes say this explicitly, and have they been updated in the last week (since the last time a support person on the Sony forums stated that the upgrade was not fixed)

Stephanie:  The problem with the update should have been resolved before your phone was sent away, there aren't any further updates to this in the last week. I'm sorry that for some reason that has occured again

Me:  Yes, the Sony forums make it clear that Sony thought they knew what the problem was back in mid-June. Since then, a great many people have sent their phones for downgrade and discovered that the problem still recurs.

Me:  So please do this: add a note to my repair: Sony engineers must perform the Android 4 upgrade for me during the repair process and double-check that the keyboard problem is not present.

Me:  I expect to receive my phone already upgraded to Android 4 and with a working physical keyboard, yes?

Stephanie:  We are unable to update the phone for you unfortunately, if you send a phone to us for repair it will be returned on 2.3

Me:  If I do not receive an upgraded phone, I will not risk upgrading it again. Why would I? All the evidence is that Sony has not in fact fixed this problem.

Me:  I would have thought that upgrading the phone would be a NECESSARY part of the repair process, no? In order to check that the repair actually worked.

Stephanie:  It wouldnt be possible as the repair centre dont have access to the ICS software

Me:  The repair centre don't have a copy of PC Companion?

Stephanie:  They are only able to send out phones with software from their systems, not PC Companion. Unfortunately the phone cannot be sent back out on ICS

Me:  Forgive my exasperation: I don't understand how Sony support knows that the problem is fixed if they are unable to perform an upgrade on a phone to check?

Stephanie:  It isn't the repair centre that found that the issue would be resolved by doing this, it was our back office developers

Me:  Would your back office developers like to have my phone as a test subject? I would be willing to offer it up.

Stephanie:  All I can offer is that you send your handset back to our repair centre to be downgraded

She continued to try to convince me that THIS time when I got my phone back the upgrade would work, but could provide no evidence of customers who have successfully upgraded their phones following repair.

Anonymous(anon)

Dear Johan,

Bought my xperia pro yesterday and after updating to 4.0 getting the same problem of azerty keyboard.

IMEI no. 01278900-188979-3

SI 1261-5019.2

Please help as soon as possible. Bought the phone with a lot of hopes and expectations. Now it seems they are not meant to be fulfilled. Hope you understand.