Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

How to use PC internet connection (via USB) to Xperia mini Pro?

Hi all! We all know that as one of the latest features of Xperias, the handset is capable of supplying an internet connection for a laptop. But my question is its vice versa. I have a stable internet connection in my laptop but apparently we don't have a wifi router, so I'm thinking, is it possible to supply an internet connection for my Xperia Mini Pro when plugged to the PC/laptop via USB? If this is not a standing feature of mini pro, what application could I download for it to be possible then?

Thank you so much for your help! 

Anonymous(anon)

Re: How to use PC internet connection (via USB) to Xperia mini Pro?

Anonymous(anon)

If your phone is on Android 2.2 and above, then the phone can support USB tethering and the personal wifi hot spot by default without using any apps.

Anonymous(anon)

Thank you for your response :smileyhappy: but I'm asking for the vice versa, the PC's internet connection to be used in Xperia mini pro via USB. not the handset's internet connection to be used in a laptop. Thank you so much by the way! :smileyhappy:

Anonymous(anon)

Ok sorry I misread your question. I know you mentioned USB but are you able to try using WiFi?

Can you try this on your PC

Start > Control Panel > Network Connections.

1: Right click the connection which you are currently using and then click properties.Go to Advance Tab and  Check Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection”.

2: Click the drop down menu and select “Wireless Network Connection“.  and Click OK.

3: Go back to Network Connections, right click Wireless Network Connection and select Properties. Click on the Wireless Networks tab.

4: Click on the Advanced button, and select Computer-To-Computer (Ad-Hoc) Networks Only.and also check that Automatically Connect To Non-Preferred Networks is unchecked. Close box.

5: Click on the Add button, enter all the information required. and make sure that Network Encryption is disabled.

6: And the last step is ,Right click the Wireless Connections icon in the bottom-right toolbar, and connect to the Wireless Connection which you just created.

Now your pc will act as a host computer and you can share internet with other.

Anonymous(anon)

You're such a genius! Introducing to me the ad-hoc network is awesome! :smileyhappy: but unfortunately, my xperia mini pro cannot detect the network I created. I tested it on my Vivaz and it worked. I can browse the internet in my Vivaz. but in my mini pro, the network appears "not in the range", how's that? thank you thank you! I know I connect my Xperia mini pro in the internet ver soon with your help! :smileyhappy:

Anonymous(anon)

Thank you for your compliments. Just trying to help.

May be if the mini pro cannot auto detect the wi fi network, as a workaround I was wondering if the network details are entered manually on the phone itself whether it will work.

Can you try the following steps to see if this works.

Adding the Wi-Fi network manually :
1 From the Home screen, drag upwards.
2 Find and select Settings > Wireless & networks > Wi-Fi settings.
3 Select Add Wi-Fi network.
4 Enter the Network SSID for the network.
5 Select the Security field to select a security type.
6 If required, enter a password.
7 Select Save.

Anonymous(anon)

Yes I entered it manually but it appeared "not in range" :l

Anonymous(anon)

Hmm. That is odd.

May be a factory data reset may help

To reset the phone
1 From the Home screen, drag upwards.
2 Find and select Settings > SD card & phone storage settings > Factory data reset > Reset phone.
3 Select Erase everything.

Note : Performing a factory data reset will delete all the  phone's data and settings. The SD Card contents should not be affected.

So if you are willing to proceed, please back up your phone's data and settings before proceeding.

If the factory data reset did not work,

Another thing you could try is to perform a software/firmware repair of your phone via PC Companion. It sometimes helps.

Connect your phone to the PC via the USB cable
The repair option on PC Companion (Support Zone --> Update --> Repair)

Note : Performing a software/firmware repair will delete all the phone's data and settings. The SD Card contents should not be affected.

So if you are willing to proceed, please back up your phone's data and settings before proceeding.

Apart from the two actions above I can't think of anything else to try at the moment.

I hope at least one of the actions above fixes the WiFi not in range.

Anonymous(anon)

By the way, I can't proceed from step 3 and so on because I can't find the wireless network tab :l I just searched on youtube on how to add an adhoc network. Can you still help me with this? thank you so much!